Acquired Personal Time Off (pto) Refused

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Nov 27, 2022.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Here is the article:
    Guy Gives Notice to Job, Company Revokes All PTO (msn.com)

Actually, years ago, I was working for a company and making plans on leaving. I let my supervisor know and he told me "you'd better use any Sick Time you have on the books, because this company will not pay you for that time when you leave." I had 8 hours of Sick Time left, so I wound up going to Denny's for breakfast and calling in sick on the pay phone outside the restaurant. The next day, my supervisor looked at me and said, "So, how was your breakfast at Denny's?". I said, "Very good". That ended the conversation.

What do you think about this employee losing his all of his PTO when he left?

Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that's pretty common. Also common is that, when someone gives two-weeks notice as requested, they are let go that very day, usually with pay for that two weeks. I think the idea on that is that someone is unlikely to do his best job when he's on his way out and that he might spend the last two weeks talking to other employees about why he was quitting, and so on. As for PTO, I don't think that's considered a solid benefit, like vacation time. Not too long ago, PTO could only be used if you were actually sick.

While I was working for Champion, we were working toward a change in PTO because it didn't seem fair or reasonable that someone who didn't call in sick would have fewer paid days off than those who got sick often, or who were willing to lie about it. Coming up on contract negotiation time, I hadn't missed a day of work since I started with the company, so I called in to say that I wasn't going to be in. At the time, we had to call in sick in order to to get PTO. It went something like this.

Me: "I'm not coming to work today."

Supervisor: "Are you sick?"

Me: "No, I feel fine."

Supervisor: "Do you have something that you need to do today?"

Me: "No, I'll probably just sit around watching television."

Supervisor: "I'll put you down as being sick."

Me: "I'm not sick. Why would you lie about it?"

Supervisor: "I'm putting it down as a sick day."

Me: "Okay, but I'm not at all sick."

I was hoping to get written up so that we could file a grievance on my behalf of myself, someone who hadn't missed a day in eight years, while others were getting paid days off because they were willing to lie about being sick.

3. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

When I retired I had 26 weeks of accrued sick time pay, got paid for none of it. (That was the max our system would allow) I also had 8 weeks vacation, and I got paid for that.

Ken Anderson likes this.