Adjustable Beds

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Silvia Benoit, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I wanted the king size with adjustable sides, Bill... but after thinking about how difficult those two mattresses would be to make up I decided to put the adjustable bed in a spare room to use after my surgery. If we really like the bed, we might go for a king later but I'd have to figure out how to wrestle those fitted sheets on.

Bill Boggs and Faye Fox like this.
  2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Go to the zip-on sheets, problem solved. If you invest in a kingsize (2 long twins), I seriously recommend the zip sheet otherwise even with suspenders or bands, it won't stay put and is a hassle to make. I haven't had one problem with the zip sheets. Expensive but worth it.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes maám, our queen size fitted sheets on that bed are a handful. The best way to handle thos is ti raise the head so you can get to them easily to put on the sheet,
    then raise thed bottom to put that on. But they can be a handful.

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Thanks, Bill. I'm not so worried about making up the queen size bed, but those two mattresses side-by-side on a king look like a challenge. :D (Plus I always wonder if the individual "sides" operating would cause the sheets to come off in the middle.)

Faye Fox and Bill Boggs like this.
  5. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I don’ know. Never thought of that.

Faye Fox and Beth Gallagher like this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I suppose I'm a worst-case scenario type of person. :D

Faye Fox and Bill Boggs like this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

New bed is 20 minutes away!! upssmiley1_zpshgajucqc.gif

8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Not enough to be an issue because you use separate cover sheets and blankets for each side and tuck each down in the center and under the mattress. The only common cover is the bedspread. I only pull out the outside to get in so I don't have the hassle every day of tucking in the center. I also, use just one side and switch sides bi-weekly. It keeps my work at a minimum. I only bought the other side because the single bed just looked bad in my bedroom and all my bedspreads are king-size quilts made by my mom. I hate the queen size in an adjustable. The XL Twin's mattress conforms the best for back support and works for my height nicely. I thought of separating the beds to make making easier, but that looks worse than a single to my eyes and also closets the quilts that were made to be used.

Per your question, it was a bit more of an issue before I got the zip sheet bottom (fitted). Since I use one side, it is lesser of a problem for me, but friends that use both sides report the zip sheets have transformed their rapidly growing discontent adjustable bed mattress wresting husbands that once sang, with a snarl, an old Jerry Reed song while making the bed, "She got the gold mine and I got the shaft," are now singing, while still retaining their baritone voice and standing heavy in their loafers, an old Louie Armstrongs tune, "I see trees of green red roses too I see them bloom for me and for you and I think to myself what a wonderful world."

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Beth Gallagher likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

YAY!!! New bed is all set up, the hubby attached the headboard. So far it's a winner; I LOVE the mattress. So this will be "my room" after I have my surgery for a couple of weeks.

Sealy.jpg

I'm so pleased with the mattress that I'm going to order a king size for our bed.

Jim Brown, Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yes, I know the king is two XL twins, so they have individual linens, at least the bottom sheets. I think the center where there's a space would be hard for me to make up. (I'm a freak about tight bottom sheets.) It's a moot point for me since I chose the queen bed for the spare room. :D

Faye Fox likes this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

OK, tonight is the "test drive" of the new bed. We gave the mattress the recommended 24 hours to "fluff." :rolleyes: It was a lot easier to make up than I expected. Glad it's all ready to go because I start the nasty chemo on Tuesday and I might be spending more time in bed. :confused:

Jim Brown likes this.
  12. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Wow, before this thread I'd never heard of zip bottom sheets. Will have to investigate that.

I have a Serta Queen adjustable. So weird having a bed with a remote control. Both the top and bottom of this mattress can rise up, which I suppose could be nice if I watched tv in bed, but I don't . Having the top raised just a little does help me breathe better through the night

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well, we have only slept on the adjustable bed that one night; it is a comfortable mattress and the bed motor is smooth and relatively quiet... but we are used to the king size bed so we quickly moved back to our room. :D The bed will be fine for me when I am recuperating, but after that it will be just another guest room.

Yvonne Smith likes this.