Aging And Dental Problems

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ken Anderson, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am going to have to have a few teeth ripped out tomorrow morning, to be replaced by a partial denture. Other than a few in the back that were once considered expendable, I haven't lost a whole lot of teeth during my lifetime, so this is feeling like an aging problem for me. Possibly, they might have been saved if our governor hadn't shut dental services down for a year in order to do her part for the Democrat agenda, but there's not much that I can do about that now.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Good luck, Ken. I hate going to the dentist. So far my teeth are OK.

Faye Fox likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I hate the dentist. What kind of unfriendly ba$tard decides to go into that field?

4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I had a wisdom tooth pulled and I was frozen in fear anticipating it. I remembered my daughter getting hers out in her teens and it seemed horrible painful. But older folks have receding gums and other situations where it was not bad at all. Anesthetic helped. Hope all goes well with you too.
    Think how rich you will be after you put them under your pillow!:rolleyes:

5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson - you have my sympathy. I stated yesterday on another thread my dislike -actual hate of going to dentists. I had to go yesterday and the cleaning is grueling for me. Very sensitive gums do not help. I am not much of a procrastinator - but for my teeth I am - plus a sissy.
    I still am putting off having an eye tooth pulled, but waiting two years i need to do that soon.:(

Faye Fox and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

They are out. Very little pain involved with the procedure, although my mouth and tongue are still numb.

7. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Good!
    Careful, don't bite your tongue or lips.

8. Ken Anderson

Right now, I have to use my fingers to find my mouth and I can't even drink water out of a bottle without spilling it all over myself.

Faye Fox and Bobby Cole like this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I've got a couple of "Grand Canyon" teeth. Rather deep hole in each, but, surprisingly, no pain. One tooth is in the upper row and the other is in lower row on same side of my mouth. Don't know when I'll have either worked on, but..........have the the dental place phone number right beside the desktop. LOL

Wife and I both had dental insurance when she worked her last job in Florida, but none now. We paid for a year of hearing and dental discount cards, but numerous places either won't accept the cards or give a very little discount. So, we aren't renewing the cards.

The last time a dentist looked at x-rays of my teeth, I would swear he could see a brand new Lexus coming for him.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

My Advantage plan pays for maintenance stuff and 50% of most everything else, but dental work is still expensive.

11. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

FYI deep holes in teeth, will cause you more grief than you know if not taken care of. But I am not fussing at you, cause I do not like going either.

12. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I feel your pain (as Bill Clinton used to say)

I've had a bridge, root canals (4 at one time and 3 hrs in the dental seat), gum surgery (where they scraped the roots after splitting open the gums) and dental implants (one from the roof of my throat to lower front gum).

But so far, I don't have dentures, so I'm thankful for that.

If I have any more trouble, I'm going for the total implants.

13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Root canals, fillings, restorations, abscesses, crowns, cleanings, and extractions are history for me. After my first attempt with implants and dentures was a disaster due to trying to save money, I now have new implants, bone grafting, and by end of August, new dentures made right this time. Dentures are to be avoided but compared to constant serious tooth nerve pain and constant gum infections, and seriously eroded teeth needing restoration, plus partials, my health is better just gumming it until dentures are made right.

Now my visits to the dentist are painless. I feel no pain as they reline, grind on the dentures. or clean around two titanium abutments. All that goo they put in to make models doesn't even faze me. Now instead of crying, cussing, screaming, kicking, and threatening the dentist's life, I now crack my best jokes and tell spellbinding stories.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    Beth Gallagher likes this.
  14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

You must have an overloaded gold mine.

15. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Had the nasty eye tooth pulled yesterday. There was a lingering piece he had to work at getting out. But I never had any pain ,and none today . Jaw area a bit sore. Have been on amoxicillin and will be until Friday. Huge hole, But should heal over well. Go back next week for follow up. Least I am getting some things done this year that had been putting off. Next after i get dental all paid up. Eye doctor. Seems I may need cataract surgery.. just wonderful :)

John Brunner and Teresa Levitt like this.