Alexa? No That's My Father?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Tony Page, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

A recent article claims that Alexa will be able to speak to you in The Voice of a dead relative or living one for that matter. You would just have to input a short recording of their voice and you can have it sound like any person you desire including a dead relative.
    The Articles seem to be focusing on the voice of a dead relative putting them back in your life even if only a copy of their voice.
    Personally I would find it Erieee, would you replace Alexa voice with a dead relative or friend's voice? Although It might be fun to try Porky Pig.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

A coworker of mine inherited her father's African Gray parrot when he died. The bird could mimic her father's voice, cough, throat-clearing, etc. She said it really freaked her out to hear "her dad", cough in the quiet house.

And I don't use Alexa so no, I have no interest in hearing a dead relative giving a weather report.

Krystal Shay and Tony Page like this.
  3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Noooo , thank you. i was freaked out when my dad died and the phone rang, showed my dads name. turns out my brother was calling from the old house.

Tony Page and Beth Gallagher like this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I like to call my sister-in-law. My brother died in 2020 and she hasn't taken his message off their answer machine so I can hear my brother's voice again.

5. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Just before my father passed because he was an old crooner he made an album using MMO records which we brought to recording studio and had it professionally made into record albums, reel to reel tapes, and cassettes. After he passed it was difficult listening to one song he chose to sing it brought tears to my eyes immediately, I always felt he was singing it for my mother " I can't believe I'm losing you". His master tape and albums were the in Fire, I don't know what survived, if any.

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

:(

Tony Page likes this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It would be fun to hack into someone's Alexa and make it Gilbert Gottfried or Fran Drescher. They'd go back to using the Yellow Pages and encyclopedia, right after they suffocated Alexa with a pillow.

Hedi Mitchell and Tony Page like this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We lost a bunch of old 8mm movies that way.

9. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Sad, we had 8 mm and 16 mm film in the house but I believe they would be safe because the area they were in didn't have too much damage. I keep thinking that I should convert the film into digital disc it seems I keep forgetting or never get around to it.

John Brunner likes this.
  10. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Back when they first started digitizing music I predicted that someday they'll be able to take the voice of a Judy Garland or Frank Sinatra digitize it into a data file and use it to create new music with their voices.
    It still might happen.
    This is just the beginning using Alexa to recreate voices.