Alfred Hitchhiking

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Joe Riley, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree with that.

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Writing mysteries is for "The Birds"!

[​IMG]

"Salvatore Albert Lombino (1926-2005) was born in East Harlem, New York, the son of a postal worker. He served as a radar man on a destroyer in the Pacific after World War II and to avoid boredom began writing short stories. They were all rejected by pulp magazines. While at the agency, he began selling crime, adventure, westerns, and fantasy stories to pulp magazines under several pseudonyms such as S. A. Lombino, Curt Cannon, Hunt Collins, Ezra Hannon, Richard Marsten, D. A. Addams, and Ted Taine".

"He said, “Sometimes I had three or four stories in a single magazine without the editor knowing they were all by me.”

"An editor convinced Lombino he could sell more work if he changed his name. So, at the age of 26, he legally changed his name to Evan Hunter. Hunter once told The New York Times (1997), “I can call a restaurant and make a reservation as Ed McBain, and when I get there the chef will be coming out of the kitchen with books for me to sign. If I call as Evan Hunter, I get a table near the phone booth.”

"He also wrote for Alfred Hitchcock’s Mystery Magazine and the TV series Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Hitchcock liked his work and invited him to write the screenplay for The Birds (1963), which he adapted from a novella of the same title by Daphne du Maurier (published in the short story collection, The Apple Tree, 1952)".

"Hitchcock told Hunter to develop new characters and a more elaborate plot while keeping du Maurier’s concept of unexplained and shocking bird attacks. Hunter and Hitchcock developed a mutual respect which Hunter documented in his autobiography, Me and Hitch (1997)".

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

"A hapless New York advertising executive is mistaken for a government agent by a group of foreign spies, and is pursued across the country while he looks for a way to survive. Starring Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint and James Mason. Directed by Alfred Hitchcock".

North by Northwest (1959) - A Guided Tour With Alfred Hitchcock

Blame it on Hitchcock

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Silent Hitchcock

“The silent pictures were the purest form of cinema.” – Alfred Hitchcock, in Hitchcock/Truffaut
    [​IMG]

"Despite his status as one of the most influential filmmakers of the 20th century, Alfred Hitchcock’s earliest years as a director during the silent era remain largely overshadowed by his later work. And yet the nine extant silent films made by Hitchcock between 1925 and 1929 together offer a fascinating and revealing glimpse into his complex imagination, touching as they do upon many of the themes, strategies and obsessions that would remain constants throughout his career. Indeed, The Lodger and Blackmail predict, with at times startling insight, images and ideas that would only find full flowering years later, in now-iconic Hitchcock classics such as Psycho and Vertigo". (Continue)

Hitchcock’s silent side

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

An interview with Alfred Hitchcock on filmmaking, suspense, nightmares and more! (1966)

Nancy Hart likes this.
  6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Note: This is a 96 minute interview, and may not be for everyone....if not just ignore it. However, it does offer a fascinating look at the technology and civility of the times it was aired. Then again, maybe you are the one this is for.....

"In this fantastic interview with Alfred Hitchcock from a 1976 press conference for his last film 'The Family Plot'. During this interview (1.5hr) Hitchcock responds to a range of serious and comical questions about his career, his filmmaking style, story, and directing".

7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

How one is to hold his fork.......:eek:
    [​IMG]

Nancy Hart likes this.
  8. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Shirley MacLaine on Alfred Hitchcock

HITCHCOCK SLANG (A version of Cockney rhyming slang)

Genuine chopper: .Real-axe/Relax
    Dogs feet:. Pause

Click Watch on YouTube

Joe Riley likes this.
  9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

We'll give you three guesses on who this bewigged superstar is. If you guessed Moe Howard, you've only got two stabs left.
    [​IMG]

12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

GAME ON!

[​IMG]

Nancy Hart likes this.
  13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Noosepaper....

[​IMG]