Am Learning Operation Of My Smartphone

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Hal Pollner, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

This thing is like Magic!

From my recliner I can call my daughter 2000 miles away, and the audio quality is as clear as a landline phone!

Next, I'm going to find out how to connect with WiFi, to see what that does for me.

I would also like to transfer my computer picture files to the smartphone.

(But first, I'll have to see what this WiFi is all about.)

Hal

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Hal, just watch how much stuff you put on you new phone. There have been cases were a phone, like you have, could slow down due to too much stuff on it. There are those that have a tendency to put lots and lots of photos, videos and apps on their phone and the phone can get a "hick up" from it.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That is just WONDERFUL NEWS, @Hal Pollner !
    As you learn more, I am sure that you will like the phone even better, and the Best Buy Geek Squad can probably transfer all of your pictures for you since you have a plane with them for your desktop.

If you store your pictures in the cloud, you can access them from anywhere, and it does not use up space on your phone. Google and Amazon both have cloud photo storage, and since you use google with your desktop, all you should have to do is make a google photos account on the desktop, and move the pictures to the cloud.

Then, you add the google photo app to your phone, and VOILA !, you have all of your photos accessible from your new phone. If you use google search engine and email, you probably have a google account, but if not, you can just make one.

This link will take you to google photos on your desktop:

https://www.google.com/photos/about/

4. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Congrats Hal---You will have to call me on my Smart Phone and we can talk Recliner to Recliner I will message my number to you.

5. Lon Tanner

Registered

Get the CAPTION CALL Ap. It will transcribe voice to text. It's a great ap for we hearing impaired.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  6. Lon Tanner

Registered

Sorry. The Ap is called CLEAR CAPTIONS

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Careful; you'll freak Hal out with this "app" talk. :D

8. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Great!

If you have a limit on data, you should connect via your Wifi whenever possible because it won't take off from your data limit.

I use "Wifi calling" at home because I didn't have a cell signal here until a few months ago. Wifi calling (if you have it) is an option you will probably have to turn on but it works great (phone calls are made using your Wifi/router instead of a cell signal).

I still use it because I only have one bar for cell signal most of the time.

9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

As @Bruce Andrew said, WiFi merely means that your phone communicates via an available wireless internet connection rather than over your carrier's cell signal. This applies both to making phone calls and to use of the internet (being on a website, accessing stuff you have stored on a server like photos as @Yvonne Smith recommended.)

The advantages to doing this via WiFi internet (when you have that service available) are:
    (1) you will be reserving your cell plan's monthly data allowance for use when you are not near a WiFi internet connection, and (2) WiFi internet is likely to be much faster than your cell service.

You probably have WiFi [wireless] internet at home. Many businesses (restaurants, stores, etc) have public WiFi internet service available for free. They are easy to connect to, but carry the caveat that the are public...so don't do sensitive stuff like use banking passwords on them. But if you're out grabbing a bite to eat with someone and want to show them pictures you have stored on the internet, it's handy to be able to do it on someone else's dime (and it's faster than your cell signal.) Public WiFi internet is also handy when you're in a store and the cell signal is weak...their WiFi internet ensures you can make/receive calls. You connect to these public WiFi networks using the same process you do to connect to your WiFi at home. They may or may not have a password (and if there is a password, an employee can give it to you.)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

From Amazon reviews I just read:

-You may have to turn off 'data usage ' to force the phone to communicate via WiFi and not chew through your cell plan's data allotment. According to one person, the phone does not automatically communicate through your WiFi, even when you're at home all the time. I don't know if there's a setting to make WiFi the preferred connection.

-You may want to figure out how to monitor your data usage and keep a daily eye on it for the first few weeks just to make certain you don't exceed your limits. Some folks cancelled the data portion of their plan to prevent overages...they kept the Jitterbug to use solely as a phone. Quite frankly, in all these years, I've not used my Smartphone for web access or much else.

Here's a Jitterbug Getting Started video that might help:

Here's how to connect a Jitterbug to a WiFi network:

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  11. Bruce Andrew

Registered

Good points guys.

One more thing about using public Wifis, and it took a while for me to grasp this concept, but the term is a "Wifi hotspot."

Let's say you go to a diner or other establishment regularly and they offer Wifi. So you instruct your phone to connect to it when it is available, and the next time you visit there your phone will automatically connect to their Wifi.

I have several hotspots on my phone. :)

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner .. I had to buy new phone few weeks ago. i have said every dirty word known to man- and came close to bashing against the wall. :D And i am pretty up on tech things. Bought a Samsung A32 and this this has caused me to watch more UTube videos than the average person. I am still having problems learning this thing. I hate it so far.

13. Bruce Andrew

Registered

LOL, these things are very easy to hate.

I switched from Android to an iPhone two years ago and hated it. There is nothing logical on an iPhone but If you're a Windows user, then using an Android is fairly easy.

But after two frustrating years, I'm finally starting to like my iPhone.

14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

In our next episode, Hal becomes so proficient with his new cell phone that he sets aside his Timex and buys a smart watch.
    upload_2021-10-8_8-7-5.jpeg

15. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

This "WiFi" stuff is beginning to rattle me just like that dreadful "App"!

I looked up the definition on the internet and still couldn't understand it.

Do I HAVE WiFi? Can you BUY a WiFi device and use it with your smartphone or computer?

Also, what's "Android", and what the hell is a "Cloud"?

Thanks,
    Harold