Amazon Prime Day Starts Soon

Discussion in 'Online Retailers' started by Yvonne Smith, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm sure you're right but but for most things I still like the box stores.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It is that time again, and Amazon Prime Day starts at 3 PM this afternoon. I have no clue why it does not start first thing in the morning, but that is what it said on my app this morning.
    Last week, Evelyn and I went to Whole Foods, and Amazon has a special for Prime members that if you spent $10+ at Whole Foods, then you got a coupon for $10 on Prime Day.
    Naturally, I spent over the $10 and have my coupon, so I have doubled my money once i order something today.
    We usually don’t get any of the specials that the have for Prime Day, but it looks like my discount is good for anything, so I can use it on anything whether it is on special or not.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

The last couple of years, I was not very impressed with Amazon Prime Day, so I hope this year is better.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Amazon has some really great deals for readers today !
    If you subscribe to the Kindle first, each month they give you a selection of six new books and you can choose one for free each month. It doesn’t cost anything to do this, you just have to be a Prime member.
    If you subscribe today, or even if you are already subscribed to this Prime benefit, today, you can get all six books for free !
    Also, there are a lot of Kindle books on sale, and if you buy one, then part of that purchase price also counts towards your next Kindle purchase.
    Kindle also has a special on the Kindle Unlimited, today only.
    It is normally $9.99 per month for this feature (which is too much money for me to spend each month), but if you sign up today, the first three months are only 99 cents .......what a bargain ! You can cancel at any time, so I am going to use my three months and read as many of the books as I can, and then cancel before the price goes up.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

That's a good deal.

My daughter put a bunch of stuff in her cart but so far nothing in there went on sale.

She has kindle unlimited ...just told her what you wrote...she said that's a good deal.

She also said the site was crashing in the beginning.

6. Ken Anderson

It's a good time to buy a Kindle.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

The mobile site seems to be overloaded still, @Chrissy Cross , and the regular website is not much better. I went to amazon smiles, which is what I always use when I order anyway, and that site is working just fine.
    I like Amazon smiles because they will donate to the charity of your choice each time that you purchase something from Amazon. I have our local free health clinic as my designated charity, and you can choose just about any charity that you want to use. It costs the same whether you use the regular amazon website or the smile one, but I like that Amazon will make the charity donations.

https://smile.amazon.com/?tag=bitc-catch-pczz-pzz-us-20

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Veteran Member
    Registered

This year Prime Day is June 21/22. I just noticed that they are offering several premium streaming channels for 99 cents a month for a max of 2 months (Starz, Showtime, PBS Documentaries, etc.) If you are a Prime member and familiar with Prime Video, check it out. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/video/storefront/ref=nav_shopall_nav_sa_aos?filterId=OFFER_FILTER=SUBSCRIPTIONS

Scroll down the page to the green boxes that say "Prime Day Deals". The offer ends June 22.

After the 2 months @ 99 cents/month the regular monthly fee applies, so be sure to cancel the subscription before the 3rd month starts unless you decide you want to keep the channel.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I decided to take advantage of this for PBS Documentaries. I really enjoy the Ken Burns docs and I dropped my PBS paid membership, so this will allow me to watch a lot of stuff for 2 months... for 2 bucks. :D

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Prime Day is today!

The Fire 10 HD tablet is $80 (Reg. $150)
    Regular basic Kindle with front light - $54 (Reg. $90)
    Kindle Paperwhite Reader - $80 (Reg. $129)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

I remember last year when it was Prime Day, it was so busy that both the website and the app crashed and you could not even look at something, let alone buy anything.
    We finally tried using the Amazon Smile website, and it was not as busy as the regular Amazon website. They do have some really good sales; but usually not for anything that we need.

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I had been waiting on PD to buy a new Kindle. Then I saw the Fire 10 HD for the same price as a Paperwhite and said why not? :D So I still didn't buy my new Kindle but the day is young.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Yeah, I'm not seeing anything that I need, since I just bought a new Kindle not long ago. I think you'll be happy with the 10, @Beth Gallagher. It's considerably heavier than the 8 but it has a screen that is large enough for me to feel more comfortable doing online stuff with it. It's more like a tablet than an electronic book.

Not long ago, I was looking at a battery-operated lawnmower but it cost a little more than I was willing to pay at the time, although I considered it. I see that it's listed as a Prime Day item now, but the price seems to be about the same. I don't remember exactly what they were asking for it before but I know that it isn't on sale for a whole lot less now because it's still a little more than I want to pay.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I was just looking at fitness trackers; the Fitbit Sense is $199, which is $100 off. Of course I don't "need" another fitness tracker. :rolleyes:

@Ken Anderson -- did you check Walmart and Target for deals on the mower? Apparently they are having their own versions of Prime Day. :D Also, you might find a deal on the mower if you can wait till the fall.