An Epidemic Of Stupid

Discussion in 'Viruses' started by Dwight Ward, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I'll try to make this brief. Two recent conversations, one with a family member, one with a friend.
    Skipping to the end of the first:

Self: But if I sent you links to testimony by world-class virologists and immunologists that the Covid so-called vaccines are harming and killing more people than the disease they're supposed to prevent, would you at least look at them? Would you read the first two paragraphs?
    Other: No..no, I wouldn't read them.
    Self: Can you say why?
    Other: Because I just don't believe it.
    Self: So you won't consider any evidence that conflicts with your belief system?
    Other: I believe that they wouldn't lie to us.

I threw in the phrase 'belief system' to try and elicit some kind of self-questioning on 'others' behalf. Water off a duck's back. When the conversation went in circles after this I changed the subject. I have really given up trying to persuade anyone that all truth doesn't come from the mainstream media or official sources. It's a waste of energy.

The second conversation was with another 'other' about Joe Biden's desire to sexually fondle little girls. Nope, didn't want to see any videos of Pedo Joe's disgusting behavior. Nope, didn't want to listen to Pedo Joe's own words about how he loves little girls to sit on his lap, plus much more.

What is happening in this country? When have the pronouncements of mainstream media and corrupt politicians become religious dogma? The new normal is stupidity and cult-like thinking. I'm at a loss about how sane and moral people can do anything about it.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Many of these are people who have never actually thought for themselves anyway; but went through life following other people who were making decisions. Most of them also are being brainwashed by the media, television , and places like facebook and youtube. When you tell someone the same things over and over , 24 hours a day, they become totally convinced that it is the truth, and that anyone trying to help them think for themselves , is actually trying to harm them, crazy, or both.
    So, they refuse to listen, and refuse to even look at any evidence that disputes what they have been told to believe.

If this is actually part of the depopulation, as some people think, and the vaccinations are part of that, you can imagine what happens next.

3. Dwight Ward

Registered

I don't want to think so, but what you say is true, Yvonne. Being told the same thing over and over, ad infinitum, makes some ( or most ) believe it must be true.

It didn't work with my wife, though. I kept telling over and over her that I was a catch and that she was lucky to have me. She never bought it.

Pardon moi for my stupid jokes. The world situation is deathly serious and I occasionally have to find some relief.

4. Dwight Ward

Registered

Something that has occurred to me before and which I think is on-topic. Ever notice how the a person on the left needs to be surrounded by those who share his beliefs? It's not absolute but conservative people tend more to take a stance without needing so much consensus. That's what I observe, anyway.

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Cult membership continues to grow.

It's Lord of the Flies, and most of us are Piggy.

6. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

7. Dwight Ward

Registered

Most of the underlying meaning of Lord Of The Flies was over my head. I disagree with one of its central premises - that we are inescapably predators. The power structure would have us believe that all men are brothers - this to keep us in line. Neither extreme is useful.
    Considering the way people have behaved throughout history, It seems that once one has settled on a comforting view of the structure of society, one is extremely reluctant to have that view altered.
    To get down in the dirt, most need to believe we are ruled by good people. If the opposite is suggested ... panic time.

8. Dwight Ward

Registered

We are all haunted by the fact that many statistics thrown at us are suspect. You need nearly to psychoanalyze the source before judging. What is he being paid" What is his motive? By whom was he raised and educated?

The search for truth is very hard unless you think that you're inspired by God, history, whatever.

There's no guaranty that we'll find the truth, no matter the purity of our motives.

John Nopales and Marie Mallery like this.
  9. Hoot Crawford

Registered

That's always the answer when you don't have an answer. I'll believe 98% of doctors, not the odd duck or two that you want to believe.

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

This thread is NOT about the covid vaccine. It is about the brainwashing of the public through television and other means. Please try to stay on topic, and post discussion, and not links that no one is interested in anyway.

11. Hoot Crawford

Registered

I promise this is the last one. This WebMD article is about the Covid Delta variants

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210712/what-to-know-about-covid-delta-variant

What does the Delta variant mean for the unvaccinated?
    People who haven’t been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 are most at risk, Yale Medicine reported. In the U.S., communities with low vaccination rates have seen a jump in cases, particularly in Midwest and Southern states such as Missouri and Arkansas. Outbreaks have also been found in Mountain states, such as Wyoming.

Kids and younger adults who haven’t been vaccinated may be susceptible as well. In the U.K., children and unvaccinated adults under age 50 were 2.5 times more likely to become infected with Delta, according to a recent study published by Imperial College London.

What does the Delta variant mean for the vaccinated?
    Scientists are looking at how the Delta variant can cause breakthrough cases, or infections among people who are fully vaccinated. So far, they seem to be rare.

Again, per the OP, it is the vaccinated folks who are stupid.
    It's past my bedtime, so that's it for me.

12. Dwight Ward

Registered

I don't accept your 98% figure. And if you'd care to look around, those odd ducks are at least half the population, if I could be so crude as to estimate liberal vs. conservative that way. Support for Trump is the main indicator there. I'm a lifelong progressive liberal who voted for him.

John Nopales and Don Alaska like this.
  13. Hoot Crawford

Registered

Sorry, but you are wrong, and in fact your post illustrates what the OP was saying. It is about an "epidemic of stupid", and the stupid ones, per the OP are those that are vaccinated, and refused to read his links about anti-vax information. You are refusing to read information that challenges your own anti-vax position

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  14. Hoot Crawford

Registered

The 98% figure is not mine, it is from the AMA. Did you read the article? Half the population? LOL! 67% of American Adults have already had at least one jab, and that % continues to go up.

15. Dwight Ward

Registered

I read the article. A lot of sciencey sounding talk directed at people who aren't qualified to judge what they're hearing, myself included. There is, though, a notable lack of reference to these 'studies' which seemingly prop up the article's premises. There are no numbers to support the panic which the article is meant to engender.

John Nopales and Al Amoling like this.