An Inexpensive Yet Priceless Gift!

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Richard Paradon, May 9, 2015.

1. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

Most people in real life as well as those who know me on the internet realize that I am a big advocate of a smile! Less then ten minutes ago, I was sitting on the common porch having a cup of coffee and doing a bit of light meditation. I heard footsteps coming up the stairs and then a voice saying in a Thai accented English, "Good Morning!" I opened my eyes and saw it was one of my neighbors, a young man of about 21 or so, whom I rarely know. There was a beautiful smile on his face and it lifted my spirits (which are normally high anyway) to a degree that I can not describe with words. If you are not a person who smiles at people, friends or strangers, I hope that you will start. Like the title says, it is inexpensive yet priceless!

[​IMG]

2. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

Often I say "hello" or "good morning" to people I pass when I'm out for a walk, and when I enter a shop where there is someone standing behind the counter. When I see someone I know I will stop and ask how they are.

Early this morning I was walking on a deserted beach, but when I turned a corner at the entrance to a harbour there was was a man fishing there with two rods set up. I had to walk beneath his fishing lines, so I turned to him with a smile as I passed and he smiled back at me.

Once I was walking down a street where there was an old man drinking alcohol from a bottle. He looked dirty and uncared for, so I gave him a smile as I passed. His face seemed to light up with happiness, because I had not just walked on by as if he did not exist.

Richard Paradon likes this.
  3. Val White

Val White Veteran Member
    Registered

The world seems to so engrossed in doing 'things' at fast pace that sparing a smile has sadly become such an effort.

Like you Ruth I am fortunate to be able to stroll the beach and once on it, life takes on a different pace. People you pass do smile, seem happier and wish you a good morning. Maybe it is deliberately taking the time to stroll that makes the difference .

Richard Paradon likes this.
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

My husband is not a grouch but he rarely smiles. Maybe it was because of his job then as a computer programmer, always thinking profoundly of his projects. When he retired some years ago, I noticed that he began to smile more. With his poker face, you will be intimidated but when he pulls out that smile, you will be captivated. That's not my opinion though, those words were from our friends.

I was really happy when my husband learned how to smile a lot. And not only that, he also became a jolly good fellow, a cheerful husband and a humorous friend. Now he has a lot of followers in Facebook for his daily post that is pregnant with his own brand of humor.

5. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I too am a person that automatically smiles when I make eye contact with another being, even animals, many of which will take their que from the expression they see on your face.

I never really understood what a person with a stoney face expected to get back in return from their countenance. It only makes me mistrust a person, but then again, someone that smiles too broadly and to often also makes me nervous. I think children are better than adults at judging a person's intentions by the expressions in another's eyes.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I try to speak to people I meet on the street or bus in a friendly way, those jobs that get a lot of complaints or unhappy people in their face all the time. Smiling when you greet a person can be just what that person needs to make their day better.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:)Situations like the chance glances of friendly people are so nice to encounter. It's just adds a splash of sunshine into your day. Like when you just go to a store so crowded with shoppers, yet when you go to an aisle that you need something way up high and a tall person comes down the aisle with a smile on their face so you can easily ask them to get the high up thing you need and they gladly help you! Wonderful!

Joe Riley and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  8. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm a natural smiler, although I don't go around grinning at everyone, I do smile more than I frown!!

Anyone else...or do you have what's referred to nowadays as an RBF ( resting 'Bitch ' face) ?

9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Seeing smiles of total JOY on my grandkids faces are priceless gifts that I cherish in my heart always. Smiles are always nice but the ones that are in full bloom with joy and love just blow me away with happiness! :)

10. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

Hubby and I smile at strangers any time we are out and about. Most of them smile back or say hello .. some just look at us as though we are off our rockers but we continue to do that as well as wave at people. You never know when a simple smile might just make a cloudy day turn into a sunny one for someone having a hard time. As for the waving .. it gives the recipient something to think about that day .. who was that masked waver LOL

Holly Saunders likes this.