Another Good Movie

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Richard Whiting, Dec 21, 2022.

1. Richard Whiting

Richard Whiting Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

If you happen to have Netflix , I recommend watching the fantastic program "Wild Babies. It is a series on how wild animal babies must learn how to survive in a dangerous world and the incredible dedication of their parents.
    The photography is stunning.
    Some of the animals depicted are: wild lions, elephants, monkey's, bears, seals, dolphins, etc, etc.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I wish I could get that. I've thought of raising pheasant just to get a population going out here, and I've been told that they make horrible parents. There's little care where the eggs are laid, and they (and the hatchlings) tend to get ignored. Perhaps that just when they're domesticated.

What fascinates me is the stuff they're born knowing how to do. It's fascinating. It's humbling in some ways.

Richard Whiting likes this.
  3. Richard Whiting

Registered

Interesting. I did not know that about pheasants being poor parents. I looked it up and I found both negative and positive remarks about pheasant parents.
    One quite interesting thing I discovered is that new-born baby chicks are ready to leave the nest within a few hours after hatching. It seems that their legs are well developed as they hatch.
    I found that SOME hens do care for their chicks. A few will actually attack a human (perhaps wild predators ?) if he/she comes too close to the chicks.
    Most chicks are born from May-June.

John Brunner likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I'm in awe of minutes-old critters that are ready to escape predators. I used to have aquariums with live-bearers. The babies come out, and they're already swimming and looking for food. There ain't no parenting. In fact, you have to use special equipment to make sure the kids don't get eaten.

Is it monarch butterflies that are a brand-new generation with no experienced leader than at the end of the season find their way to a home that none of them have been to before? How do you begin to wrap your head around that?

5. Richard Whiting

Registered

I never thought about that. Truly amazing !
    The only thing I can think of is that monarch butterfly's are born with the DNA knowledge that tells then where to go to their "native homeland" in Mexico. However, that's just a guess.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. Richard Whiting

Registered

In the mood for a cracking good, TRUE, story?
    It takes place during WW2 , but it's not a war movie. Shortly after the Nazis conquered France, the Prime Minister of England, Winston Churchill, ordered up a new organization called Special Operations Executive (S.O.E.) . It was to be a spy organization throughout Europe.
    The main characters are 3 women . Two of whom who are parachuted into France, spied. and worked as wireless operators, the most dangerous job for a spy.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
    John Houlihan and John Brunner like this.
  7. Richard Whiting

Registered

I forgot to mention that "A Call To Spy" is on netflix and perhaps on Amazon Prime Video.

John Houlihan likes this.
  8. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hi Richard,

Sounds good to me. I will check it out tonight.

I will return the favor. I strongly recommend watching "A Dog's Purpose". It's my favorite dog movie and it has five stars on Amazon reviews. If you haven't seen it, you might like it a lot. it's about a dog who reincarnates through several lifetimes with different masters. Very touching and extremely well done. High-five recommendation!

Richard Whiting and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Richard Whiting

Registered

Last night I watched Les Miserables starring Liam Neeson, a story written by Victor Hugo.

Les Miserables is a French story about the redemption of Jean Valjean after serving 19 years of hard labor for stealing a loaf of bread.

One of the most emotionally touching films I have ever watched. The story begins shortly after Jean Valjean is released from prison and he soon becomes a thief. However, an incredible act of kindness starts Valjean on a path of redemption.

PS: Can be watched for free on, 123movies.tw
    There are 4 films of this movie . The one made in 1998 is the one you want

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  10. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I haven't seen the one with Jackman, but at this point, I think the one with Neeson is the best, and most realistic. Thank you for the heads-up on where to find the movie, I'd like to see it again, denise PS I haven't seen it because I don't like it when a movie is so "pushed" by Hollywood'ers. A lot of movies are the best I've ever seen, but never were truly given the credits/awards.

11. Richard Whiting

Registered

We all know that there are people in prison who are innocent, but I never realized how many are in prison because police and DA's have conspired to send an innocent man to prison.

This may be hard to believe. However, if you watch, NETFLIX's "The Innocence Files", you will be shocked and dismayed.

The Innocence Files is a series which shows exactly how completely innocent people can end up in prison for decades.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I'll bet there are quite a few. One problem is that prosecutors are judged by the number of convictions they get, so if they think they can convict, the majority of them won't concern themselves with the justice or injustice behind it. We'll never get there, but prosecutors should represent the state in seeking justice, not convictions. The police view their jobs to be to arrest someone for the crime, and the prosecutor's job is to convict them.

The thing that really shocks me is that even after these people are proven to have been innocent of the crime they were convicted of, the state still wants to keep them in prison. Letting them out turns the light on the fact that they have wrongfully convicted them in the first place. After it has been proven that they were wrongfully convicted, these people often have to take an Alfred Plea in order to be released, in effect pleading guilty to a crime they have never committed in return for being released from prison. Upon their release, the prosecutor will usually issue a statement to the effect that he still considers them to have been guilty of the crime because admitting that you screwed up isn't good for the career.

Mary Stetler and Marie Mallery like this.
  13. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Was there any indication how often the prosecutor was fed compromised or deliberately false evidence? It seems to me the evidence the prosecutor presented to judge/jury must have been convincing. I have no love for prosecutors, just curious how often detectives and others were in on it, seems like it would have to be a lot.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  14. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Sometimes people will believe whatever is convenient for them to think, I think innocent people do go to jail.

15. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Oh, I think they do too. I was just curious how it was orchestrated.