Another True Scary Story

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Bobby Gnomy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Bobby Gnomy

Bobby Gnomy Veteran Member
    Registered

I had forgotten about this, until my brother reminded me of this incident. My parents, brother, and I took a long trip out west to the Seattle World's Fair back in 1962. We did a tremendous amount of driving going to many states.

When we were in San Francisco, CA my Dad who was driving, got lost. This is a typical occurrence for our family as no one has a sense of direction! We accidently had gone to the entrance of the Golden Gate Bridge.

My Dad pulled over to an empty area next to the left toll lanes, about 50' from the toll booths.

My Dad and my brother got out of the car and went to the toll plaza to ask how we could avoid going over the bridge, while my Mom and I stayed inside the car.

The toll booth operator informed my Dad to turn around in an emergency lane. But, in the middle of getting the directions to the emergency lane a near disaster took place.

While my Dad and brother were standing at the toll plaza, a car with failed brakes careened toward the toll plaza at high speed. The driver came close to the toll booths, made a sharp left and bumped violently over the dividers between the inward and outward lanes.

The car went directly in front of our car. My Mom and I saw the people inside the careening car bouncing up and down, hitting their heads on the ceiling of their car, and the driver's terribly frightened face as he gripped the steer wheel.

Had my Dad not given space between our car and the toll booths, the speeding car would have had no where safe to go.

The speeding car had a broken axle, along with wheels akimbo in all directions. The people inside the car were in shock.

This incident could have been a horrific disaster, but... fortunately it turned out OK.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered