Antinutrient Devaluation

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Alan Sidlo, Dec 15, 2022.

1. Alan Sidlo

Alan Sidlo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

"The study explains that phytates – a storage form of phosphorus – are found naturally in beans and cereals, and when used for meat substitutes, they accumulate while the proteins are being extracted."

Highly nutritious meat substitutes on the market cannot be absorbed by the human body, study flags

the "irony" being that one of the workarounds to mitigate phytic acid's antinutrient potential is in the consumption of animal protein.

phytate development is actually easily prevented through the process of activation. this goes for seeds, grain, beans and nuts too. seed soaking followed by fermentation is ancient technology.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

How can the food be "highly nutritious" if it can't be absorbed by the human body?

Alan Sidlo, Krystal Shay and Faye Fox like this.
  3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

It is nutritious in theory, but not in the human digestive system. An example is zinc. Our bodies need it but can absorb it only in the chelated form.

Alan Sidlo and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

But it doesn't state "nutritious in theory." :p If our bodies can't absorb it, then obviously it isn't nutritious.

Alan Sidlo and Faye Fox like this.
  5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Bingo! Now you are catching on. It is just shit and no more. :D:D:D

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't understand the difference between eating beans & cereal as a meat substitute and just eating them as an original food. Regarding soaking seeds...I've been doing that with nuts for a while, then dehydrating them again...but I've not subsequently fermented them. Breaking down the enzyme that protects the food source in the nut/seed makes them more digestible.

A long time ago I went meatless for a brief period of time, and would often use tvp (texturized vegetable protein.) After 6 months I went back to eating meat, so I assume I've flushed the nasties out of my system.

Alan Sidlo likes this.
  7. Alan Sidlo

Registered

yes @John Brunner, it can be an ongoing process and sometimes gets to be a bit much... then the nuts fly from shell to gullet.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Alan Sidlo

Registered

almost every dietary source for nutrition contain both healthy and not so healthy components all (even raw) requires one process or another in order to release the nutrients and antinutritients within.

understand that phytic acid does serve a purpose and is vital to survival. it is found in nutrient dense sources acting as an antioxidant, clearing free radicals, cancelling each other out to some extent. maybe the additional process of soak and fermentation will resolve the issue for their protein program. it will definitely add to their bottom line.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2022