Any Mechanics Here? Help, We Need Advice

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Marie Mallery, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Its good alls well. Nothing bad came of it.

2. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The Waukesha engines were bad about cracks, the blocks and also crankshafts. You have to consider the size of the stuff. We had two full time machinist working to repair the crankshafts and cylinder heads. Out in the field when we had a block with external cracks we would use special made little blocks of steel with holes drilled in them in a perfect spacing, then you take the little block and start drilling at the start of the crack and continue drilling holes all down the crack. After the drilling you screwed wide pitched screws that was similar in the cast iron of the block and you started screwing in all the screws in all of the holes you drilled in line. You tighten them as tight as you could then simply grind the heads down flush with the block and it was a perfect repair that never leaked or required a redo. The engines are so big they have a lot of movement in the blocks and crankcase when running. They cannot be mounted rigid and need to sit on stiff coil sprung pads. They only run about 1300 hundred rpm when working.

Marie Mallery and John Brunner like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's all about the torque, huh?

4. Marie Mallery

Registered

I think we should have waited till Monday when Napa opens but he is frustrated. They show both parts on EBay both are used of course, but guess we will see.
    Yes Auto Zone did keep the damn money for almost a month I think is what he said. Then told us they cancelled the order but NOT until he called to see why the hold up.
    This new age we live in guess this will be the status quo for lots of things. I keep telling my kids and grandkids to prepare and be careful.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Registered

I think Nissan is Japanese made Thomas is that the engine your talking about? This one is 1986 engine.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Registered

Good night all you kind people and thanks very much for the help and advice. My bracket is supposed to be here by the 26th and the head between the 24th -25th.
    He's laughing saying I know you don't want me on the truck first. After riding in my van all these years that truck feels like a go cart on these mad max highways. I did have a real fine school bus but that was too much for him to keep up I saw him under it with his bad back and I knew I was being selfish. It was a 91 International shorty. But "we" did a great job on that bus.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  7. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

Oh no, this is a large industrial engine which has been around for over 60 years with some light changes. It is used in the Oil and Gas and Refineries and even in Rice growing areas for pumping water, and in large paper plants where they have their own fire fighting equipment and water pumping stations. Today it no longer belongs to Waukeshau , General electric bought them and made major changes to designs. Typical fuel injection and integral engine and compressor one piece where as in my old days it was always two separate items. I wonder what they are paying for a serviceman today !!! They sure didn't pay us much, but since most of the work was driving to and from a job site in the middle of nowhere where you drove around for another hour trying to find the station out in the piney woods. My service manager at the time was named Sam Pearson and the only way he could give me accurate instructions how to find a certain engine station was pointing out all the beer joints, he was always accurate. :D

Marie Mallery likes this.
  8. Marie Mallery

Registered

What was the location of the G.E. plant, I worked on generators in Doraville Ga.GE plant in early 70s, my job was wrapping the coils with some kind of gooey solution. It didn't last long [ babysitter quit]. Wonder if those were for the engines you worked on?

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  9. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

It was a corporate buy out of Waukeshau, the people I worked for are the Texas Distributor. They are still the number one dealer for the engines since most gas and oil and rice and paper is in the southern part of the US. It was a great place to work. If I had stayed working with them I would have eventually got some overseas work in the mid east. I never wanted to be tied down in any one place and liked to move around when I felt like it. It is a lot easier for a mechanic to do that since most jobs did not pay you, you paid yourself and the employers.

10. Marie Mallery

Registered

So you were born under a wondering star too, so were my son and I, only hubby put the brakes on me. My son still travel's all over the world. He works for a company out of Lebanon. Supervises giant security systems, one he installed in desert in Middle East worth millions, and he hadn't left 15 minutes before it was blown to bits.

I always related to this song, hubby more of a "Home On The Range" type. I'll choose him over travel anyday though.

11. Marie Mallery

Registered

Hubby is talking about the autos 'again' I told him I don't want to talk or discuss them today, he said, 'I need somebody to talk to about taking that damn van apart again'. I handed him an invisible quarter and told him to call somebody who cares or gives a damn'.:rolleyes:
    I was having fun reminiscing and he wants to talk about the two junkers on my last nerve.:mad:

Thomas Stillhere and Faye Fox like this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Only kidding, Marie, but sounds like a great marriage!

Actually, if I said that to my wife (the invisible quarter thing) she would go into tears. Really, and I totally understand why. That's why I wouldn't say it. She likes my sarcastic humor, but when that becomes serious, she gets very emotional.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Haha, sounds like you two have lots of fun together, Marie.

Marie Mallery and Faye Fox like this.
  14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow! You were really reminiscing if you expect him to make a call for a quarter. hahaha!

Have you watched the old movie Phonebooth? If not that is a must-watch for you and your hubby if you play the "call someone that cares game" hahaha.

Marie Mallery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  15. Marie Mallery

Registered

Bless her heart she gets emotional, and I get even, Your a lucky man Cody.:cool:. I was checking on a U-Haul rental van or something to get out of here for awhile, I could go start some crap with one of my Yosemite Sam neighbors running over my frontage, but I feel thats a good example of a real bad idea.