Any Other Treasure Hunters / Metal Detectorists Out There?

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Elle Lewis, Feb 22, 2023.

1. Elle Lewis

Elle Lewis Member
    Registered

I picked up the hobby during the pandemic and ran with it (well...more like I walked slowly, swinging my detector) ;):D

I have found a bunch of cool things including rings but nothing real precious metal (YET).

Anyone else love detecting?

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My daughter bought metal detectors when she was still living here, and she and I went out into the old areas along the Tennessee River and searched, but never found anything really great, although we did have a lot of fun searching.
    When I was growing up, my mom had a metal detector and I remember her going around our yard and the old store yard next door. She also had a fluorescent light kind of flashlight, and when we went camping at some lake or river, we went out at night and hunted for the rocks that would fluoresce.
    It was a lot of fun !

3. Elle Lewis

Elle Lewis Member
    Registered

The fun is definitely in the hunting vs. getting too hung up on actually finding things - that is such a crapshoot!

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I bought a detecctor years ago and took it to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. There's been 2,000 to 3,000 shipwrecks off of those shores, and every once in a while strong storms will bring stuff in from the bottom. The only thing I found that week was a hand-hammered nail from an old ship, which was pretty cool. I recall detecting further up the beach and finding the usual soda can tabs, when my detector went off "differently." I dug down and saw a coin I had never seen before! My heart was pounding!!! I picked it up, turned it over, and there was George Washington. It was one of those stupid state quarters.

People in my region of Virginia find all sorts of Civil War stuff (Grant v Lee, The Battle of Trevilian Station, June 1864), but you need a powerful detector to find stuff that deep. It's a big hobby in Virginia. I've met a couple of guys who have souped-up their machines, but I've never gone detecting with them. Nor have I (or they) detected on my property.

I've been panning my creeks for gold (there used to be a bunch of gold mines in my county), but I'm on the western fringes of where the main vein is said to run...the larger mines are northwest of me by maybe 10 miles (in the town of Mineral and off of Goldmine Road.) There's a sizeable vein that runs all the way through the state (north-to-south) from Maryland into North Carolina. They make specialty detectors that will detect gold, but those are very expensive.

Here are my creeks that are gonna make me rich.

This is near the source of the one creek:
    Head of Creek reduced.jpg
    My neighbors used to draw water from that spring when they were children before the well got dug. They're 70 years old and it's still flowing.

The creek runs along the side boundary of my property and converges into one that I think belongs to someone else (plats are iffy around here):
    Creeks converge reduced.jpg
    This shot is looking back towards the house. You can barely see where my smaller creek (the ditch coming out of the woods off to the right) dumps into this larger one.

The only thing I've found so far is pyrite (fool's gold.) Apparently it can be co-located with gold, but I've not found any of that. The odds of finding anything other than tiny flakes are not very good...but I like hiking down there and picking through the creek bed and the pretty rocks. And I look for arrowheads while I'm at it.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
  5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I found a cast iron iron (for clothes) and a few other iron things. Bits of iron fencing. No gold.:( But that is an exciting hobby that old folks can do, if they can bend down, that is.

6. Elle Lewis

Elle Lewis Member
    Registered

There are ways to do it without ever bending down - one of my favorite YouTubers, I Dig Daytona, has a bad back and never bends down.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  7. Elle Lewis

Elle Lewis Member
    Registered

"I dug down and saw a coin I had never seen before! My heart was pounding!!! I picked it up, turned it over, and there was George Washington. It was one of those stupid state quarters."

@John Brunner those dang things have gotten me excited for nothing SO many times!!!

8. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Son bought Jake a metal detector a few years back, still haven't used it ,but we need to.

9. Ivan Tea Sanderzon

Ivan Tea Sanderzon Well-Known Member
    Registered

I purchased a Garrett with the best of intentions, but as my knees got worse, digging was too difficult after a while. I think I've used it 4 or 5 times. I'm going to try bringing it along each time we go somewhere.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

The problem is that the reverse of so many of them does not look like a real U.S. coin. At least a pull tab ain't a poser.

11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

My daughter often went treasure hunting down along some of the creeks that run through downtown Huntsville and have been there as long as the town has, and she has found some interesting old bottles and stuff like that. In the creek, she didn’t use the metal detector, just turned over rocks and hunted around to see what she could find.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  12. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I think I have SAVED money on tires after the roofers left. They go over the area with magnets for dropped nails but they often miss some. I mostly find pop tops when seeking buried treasure. I have found a pulled horse shoe in the mud, once, that I was looking for and I found a cast iron clothes iron in my septic mount.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Ivan Tea Sanderzon

Ivan Tea Sanderzon Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes. They miss A LOT of nails.

Jacob Petersheim likes this.