Anybody On Nexium?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Connie Benton, Feb 3, 2022.

1. Connie Benton

Connie Benton Well-Known Member
    Registered

Just wondering- I've been on for years for GERD and was just increased. Thoughts?

Don Alaska and Faye Fox like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Not Nexium, but I've been taking generic Prilosec (omeprazole) for years. It's like a miracle for acid reflux.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    Faye Fox likes this.
  3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I also do the generic prescription version of "Prilosec," omeprazole, and just take it before I eat things I may not easily digest. Just like any drug, it is a good idea to weigh the benefits against any side effects, long or short term. I take it before any hard-to-digest dinner and it helps my sleep. My gastrointestinal doc doesn't want me taking it daily and for any period of time due to my old stomach ulcer with a blood clot in it. A few sources claim daily long-term use has a connection to stomach cancer, but my doc says excessive acid presents a larger chance of developing cancerous ulcers. I would think an endoscopy every few years might be a good idea.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I take a VA prescription Omeprazole, each morning right after I get up. If I don't, I'll be chewing up Tums all day.

5. Connie Benton

Registered

I've had an endoscopy/colonoscopy every 5 years for the past 20 years. I have bad GERD but all biopsies are normal. Looks like I'm in the middle of a GERD breakthrough. My gastro doc says I'm an acid producer and there are going to be times in my life when I'll have problems. Oh joy.

Faye Fox likes this.
  6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I have been a heavy acid producer my entire life. The acid is what eroded my teeth so bad that no daily care and quarterly dental cleaning would save them. It is also the reason for my hiatal hernia. I experimented with food and have found ones that agree with me more than others. When I was in my 20s I was sent to a Naturopath that had a reputation for changing PH. His natural meds nearly killed me. The interesting thing is that some of the healthiest foods are the ones that cause excessive acid in my system. It is a juggling act dealing with excessive acid.

Trevalius Guyus likes this.
  7. Connie Benton

Registered

I agree Faye Fox. I also have a hiatal hernia. I find it hard to eat fresh fruit and forget tomato sauce! Yet a glass of wine doesn't bother me and that's supposedly a no-no. It is a juggling act. I also have been having teeth problems recently and I think the daily use of ibuprofin for my teeth aggravated my GERD.

8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Being on acid reducers for a couple decades nearly killed my wife. Her doctor simply changed meds or increased dosage as symptoms reappeared. I found her up in the middle of the night sitting on the couch with a heating pad on her abdomen to reduce the pain. I "made" her make an appointment with an integrative doctor with a good reputation locally. He thought she had a yeast overgrowth and gave her meds for that and recommended an elimination diet process to diagnose what foods gave her problems. I turns out that the yeast was not the problem, but I believe Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) was her issue. Through the diet experiment, she found most grains gave her digestive problems, but rice and wheat were the worst. She has trouble with onions and especially garlic. When she removed these foods from her diet, all her "reflux" problems disappeared. Our diet has changed, but she dropped the acid reducers completely after being on them for about 20 years. The acid reducers are known to cause the bacterial overgrowth and probably yeast issues as well. There is some evidence that the PPIs increase the risk of stomach cancer (link) and low acid encourages the increase in H. pylori growth in the stomach, as acid is what controls that bacteria.

Joy Martin, Yvonne Smith and Faye Fox like this.
  9. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I've never taken the "purple pill" . I don't have gerd, reflux, heartburn or upset stomach issues. In my old days, it was all called upset stomach and I had some heartburn when I was pregnant 58 yrs ago..none since. If I get a little uneasy stomach, it's baking soda in some water....that does it. Gets rid of acid.

Back in the "old days" we took Pepto Bismal, Kaopectate, Imodium and other otc meds....Never a pharma drug.

Today's doctors push the latest and MOST PRICEY drugs they are told to push....by pharma.

Now I'm thinking since I started with Grape Seed Extract 26 yrs ago and I was 57, no otc drugs that I mentioned above, I have no issues with gastro since Grape Seed Ex.

I know the list is long for side effects for Nexium and I also know Tums are popped like candy for many. Don't believe I ever had a bottle of Tums.

10. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

OK, this thread really hits home, for me. In the last six months, following an acute onset hiatal hernia (self-diagnosed, yeah, I know I should get scoped), after wrestling with changing an RV tire on the muddy side of a country road, I have been dealing with acid indigestion.

I have always had an acidic system. As a kid, I'd lose watches with leather bands, as my sweat ate them away. My parents never believed me until they gave me a watch with a metal band, and they saw it rust away!

As I type this, I'm on a wooden wedge that I made to slide under my mattress. It definitely helps me sleep through the night.

I have made my diet into a bland, but not totally tasteless, experience. As a gourmet vegan chef (L'ecole des Coups Durs), I faced some minor depression, recently, when I realized my days of consuming more flavorful dishes was over.

I am a firm believer in baking soda. It works great, for me. I take a ¼ tsp. in 8 oz. of water upon getting up, and before turning in for the night.

Regretfully, I can no longer eat any member of the Brassica Genus. Good-bye brocolli, collards, cabbage, Brussel sprouts, etc. Tomatoes are out, too. Tears welled up as I typed that, no lie.

A warning to those taking PPI drugs: After numerous studies with back and forth conclusions, the most exhaustive meta study to date has found a 54% greater chance of developing Alzheimer's from continuous, long-term use of those drugs. Please consider alternatives!

One more thing: Someone, above, mentioned hiatal hernia resulting from heavy acid production. As far as I've researched it, and I've hit it pretty hard, experiencing symptoms of acid production results from hiatal hernia.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
    Joy Martin and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree on the baking soda, works wonders for me in my "golden" years. I may start a little before bed....

And I need to mention all the OTC meds I mentioned above, can also cause many harmful side effects with long use.

Trevalius Guyus likes this.
  12. Trevalius Guyus

Registered

I am duty bound to report this:

Even as Prilosec continues to advertise as an OTC on TV, even as a gastroenterologist whom I saw a few weeks ago, and will never see, again, prescribed it in a bigger dose than the OTC version, a lawsuit is going forward by folks who have experienced terrible kidney problems, out of nowhere, after taking it.

I almost bought the OTC, today. Janet told me that she's sure I'll get it, research it in depth, and then never take it, wasting my money. I put it back, researched it, and will never take it. Its other ingredients, other than its actual active component, are ridiculous. Want to swallow rust or a component of shampoos that has been removed because of possible side effects? Go ahead and pop a Prilosec. NO THANKS, I'LL PASS! Hand me my baking soda and water, please. Ahhh......

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I’ve been an acid producer as long as I can remember, well, not that long but since I was thirteen y/o.
    I’ve probably tried everything except Nexium.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
  14. Trevalius Guyus

Registered

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Not really. Most of the script in that "lawyer" website uses language like "alleged" and "possible side effects."

People with severe acid reflux should be aware that excess acid can cause Barrett's Esophagus. Over time, this can damage your esophageal tissue and increase your risk of developing cancer in your esophagus. So I suppose it's a case of "choose your poison."