Anyone Do Any Home Canning?

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Marie Mallery, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep. I believe that. Now tell me the one about the three bears. :)

Kate Ellery likes this.
  2. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I’d challenge anyone to say how nice fruit or tomatoes are that are purchased from supermarkets … they are like trying to chewing those plastic fruits we used to have for decorations in our kitchens …

3. Kate Ellery

Registered

Don’t forget the three little pigs story as well :):D:):D

4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

How ironic so did my daughter! Much of our food goes to China's rich,they don't want to eat the food grown there. I don't like the taste of home or store bought potatoes but did eat the ones we canned I canned 50bl.s once and only liked them in potato salad.Potatoes to me aren't good canned. But if its all you have in a shtf situation i bet their good.

Kate Ellery likes this.
  5. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

It sounds like no one is accepting blame. I'm not a virologist but isn't it likely that the hepatitis was passed along through people using the fields as a bathroom? Gross if that's the case.

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Kate Ellery

Registered

I believe they use human waste as fertiliser @Dwight Ward

7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The virus SHOULD have been denatured/inactivated by the canning process @Kate Ellery and @Dwight Ward. If you contracted Hep A from canned goods, they were not properly processed at all. You may have contracted any number of diseases. We are only 2 now, but we were once 8 in this household, and we still can much of our own produce for taste, quality, and safety. Wife is ding sweet relish as I write here, and dills are in the making form our many cucumbers. Not enough of anything else yet, but fish is available. Tomatoes and beans will be coming, as well as raspberries for jam, jelly, and other things. We also freeze a good deal of stuff like broccoli and cauliflower, peppers, and peas.

Dwight Ward and Marie Mallery like this.
  8. Kate Ellery

Registered

@Don Alaska It was frozen blue berries that I got infected from that are marketed as grown / packed in New Zealand but are from China ..I used them in smoothies .

It would be highly unlikely I’d get that sick from my own fruit or my cooking I never use any chemicals on my trees
    and everything is throughly inspected and washed before going into my preserves

Dwight Ward likes this.
  9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Sorry, I misunderstood. Washing anything frozen if possible is the best way to go, even if it is commercially processed. I shudder when I hear people say that you don't need to wash organic produce. You are far more likely to get sick in the short term from organically-grown produce than from chemically-raised food. Long term, however, is a different story.

Tony Page likes this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

I agree that the process kills most bacteria and virus.
    Have you noticed that crops are'nt coming out like they use to? Have you had any problems past year or so?

Tony Page likes this.
  11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Our summers vary a lot form year to year. We have hot summers and we have cold summers. This has been one of our cooler summers, and we had visitors plus travelled to visit a new grandson, so the garden and greenhouses haven't been tended like usual, so we will most likely have lower than usual yields, but adequate for our needs nonetheless, as we generally overproduce and supply food for our son's families. We also have selected some of our own varieties from purchased seeds over the years, so that helps.

12. Marie Mallery

Registered

We bought 25lb.s of carrots yesterday to can,that will last us for a couple years or more.Also since we have set up the canner,jars,etc. up we will also can the 9lb.s of dried beans we bouht ,we like small limas,white and green.
    This is a job! but will be done once finished.

Tony Page and Don Alaska like this.
  13. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

We harvested 75 pounds of carrots for ourselves last year, but I don't know if we will get that many this year. With only two people here, we don't have to grow as much as we once did. We didn't can any carrots, though, except in soups and such. We cold cellared them and they kept pretty well. We got our first real bean harvest yesterday, but only a large bowl full.

14. Marie Mallery

Registered

Don we haven't had a good harvest in 5 yr.s so we buy organic [hopefully] in large bags then can them. I wish we could grow more but life happens .But that is great that you are still going strong,

Tony Page and Don Alaska like this.
  15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I want to try my hand at canning using an old canner I bought at Goodwill.

[​IMG]

I ended up finding the weights on Ebay. I have a couple of pressure cookers I've used off & on for decades, so I'm fine with that part of the process.

-As long as the pressure valve and the nozzle are clean, it won't build up too much pressure.
    -If the gasket is bad, it won't build up hardly any pressure.

Where I need advice is on how to save my plum tomatoes from a single plant as they ripen over time so I can aggregate a large enough batch to can. Should I blanch/peel/freeze as they ripen, then process the whole batch when the plant stops producing? I can't think of any other option. My sole use for them is making pasta sauce.

I'm now kicking myself for only buying one plant...but it's in a container. I've not cleaned out my garden.

Don Alaska and Marie Mallery like this.