Anyone Else Here A Hiker/backpacker?powerwalker

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by William Lofton, Jun 28, 2024 at 3:23 PM.

1. William Lofton

Registered

I started walking 4 years ago because I built a trail beside the creek that runs the length of my property and decided to do a half marathon(13.1miles)...wow... I am a course photographer at many marathons in the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic states, and after shooting them for years, I figured why not. I was a pack a day smoker...It was an undertaking. I looked at the times of the participants in other marathons, that had finished in the middle of the pack, and that's where I should be. Under 4 hours. So I started walking and at least every third day. I was out there, no matter the weather. I started in May and the marathon happened in September.. Did it! That all brings me to hiking. I have a goal and I am close. I want to hike the Appalachian trail where it starts in Georgia at Springer Mountain and hike( in sections) to the North Carolina line. That is 72ish miles. Got about 52 already done. So... anybody out there? that hikes, backpacks, or powerwalk. BTW I am 68 years young...

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The Appalachian Trail ends near Millinocket, Maine, where I live. I haven't done much hiking this year, but I do enjoy hiking and camping in the woods and have done quite a bit of that. However, I don't do power walking or marathons, and I get bored hiking along the road or on graded hiking trails. Besides, if you try hiking along the road here, people will keep stopping to see if you need a ride and then look at you like you're some weirdo when you tell them you're going for a walk.

I have wanted to hike the Appalachian Trail, but I don't see that long of a thru-hike in my future. I have hiked parts of it and may eventually try the 100-mile Wilderness, the part of the AT in Maine that people say is the most difficult.

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

All of that is out for us! I had a hip replacement in Oct 2005 and two (one on each shoulder) rotator cuff surgeries. Our idea of camping today is staying at the Hilton or Holiday Inn Express. My wife owned some camping gear that we used in 2004 for a boat/lake overnight camping trip with a group of Colorado fishermen. One night on the ground and that's all it took for both of us to say "no more".

Give us a horse and tack and we might hit a trail on horseback. Even though it's been some 22 years, I still think I can ride. I know, without a doubt, I could saddle and bridle a horse up.

4. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

When younger I hiked a lot and loved exploring and going to places few ever bothered to visit, mostly involving a long climb into higher terrain and did so alone. I never worried about injury or anything else, but now I would be afraid of a health emergency being off by myself.

I was also a runner mostly doing 10Ks. I tried a half marathon once and it took nearly two hours but never did another. It was tantamount to self abuse I thought. At a 10K you could actually compete with others in your age group so you could potentially get a trophy or ribbon.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. William Lofton

Registered

I only day hike

6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I have been a hiker. Most of my family are/were runners. I tried it but didn't get the thrill. To hike at any speed, now, I need two canes. I did pretty well at the Minneapolis 50's auto show last weekend.;)
    The show was amazing. Largest in the world, I was told.
    I have a farm and can hike there.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I was a hiker/backpacker when I was younger. Like many here, I can no longer go for long hikes, especially with a pack on my back. I had a large dog and he also carried a pack with all his stuff in it.

Mary Stetler likes this.