Anyone Else Want To Rant? Join In

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Von Jones, Jan 29, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Corn is sold by the ear here, as I guess it is everywhere. My Walmart puts out a big trash can so folks can shuck it in the store. I never noticed if other grocery stores do the same, nor do I know if this was in response to idiots pigs customers doing this and leaving a mess.

When I lived in Indiana, we would get the water boiling before we picked & shucked. It would never occur to me to shuck corn that long before I was ready to cook it, nor would I consider doing any prep in the store.

Maybe they'll put a trash can out for egg shells.

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Corn has changed since the old days, @John Brunner. The old standard corn varieties are hard to find now. They are all sh2, se, or Syn. The old corn varieties had more corn taste, but began converting sugar to starch as soon as they were picked, so they lost sweetness very quickly after picking. The newer hybrids have less corn flavor, but don't convert sugar to starch nearly as quickly so they are more suitable for shipping and don't have to be cooked as soon after picking.

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  3. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I did the same thing. The water was heating up, as one of us headed to the garden to pick a few fresh ears to eat with our meal. When I froze corn, I also had a big pot of water simmering, while we cleaned and shucked the corn.

4. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Like almost everybody else on SOC, I am disgusted with the most of the media and many politicians for what they are doing to our country. To my rescue from their nonsense comes Psycho-Pictography, the science of absorbing Mental Pictures which provide the mind with powerful and accurate guidance. The following story is an example of how it works. As you read the story of the kidnapped shepherd girl, it will create Mental Pictures that help you know whether something is true or false. It helps me to see through all the fake news and lies being thrown at us by outside sources. What follows is the story:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A Swiss shepherd girl was kidnapped by passing gypsies. As she
    was hustled away inside the wagon, she heard the ringing of the
    village bell. The sound became fainter and fainter as the wagon
    carried her away. But that bell's special tone made a permanent
    impression upon her mind.

Years later, as she grew up, the memory of that bell stirred a
    restless urge within. It made her weary of the gypsy life. she
    longed to return to her rightful home. So she broke away from
    the gypsy camp and began her search. She wandered from
    country to country, village to village, listening intensely for the
    special ring of that single bell. She heard many peals as she
    journeyed along, but she always detected a false ring, and so
    refused to be lured away.

Finally, while pausing by the roadside to rest, she heard a faintly
    familiar peal. She turned in its direction. The farther she walked
    the more swiftly she stepped. Something within her knew that
    she was hearing her village bell at last. And she followed it all
    the way home.

Likewise, the ring of truth is inside every person. And this is not
    something merely mystical or philosophical. It is a practical fact.
    If one learns to listen, if we refuse to be lured away by false
    sounds, we will find our way home. The ring of truth will always
    be recognized by the person who listens. And everyone has the
    capacity to listen and to follow.

Marie Mallery and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  5. John Brunner

Loews gives you a 5% discount when you use your Lowes Credit Card, and they have times throughout the year where you get 10% off when you use your Lowes Credit Card. No coupon was required...you just used your card. I used it to stock up on things I routinely consume: water softener filters/cleaner/o-rings, furnace filters, stuff like that.

Now we are in a Brave New Era, I no longer "just get" that discount as a cardholder...I gotta have their "app" on my phone. I refuse. I've not bought a phone and paid for cell service so as to attach a marketing device to my hip for the benefit of others...it's my communications device!!!

As I type this, it occurs to me that I might just be able to work with the cashiers and get that discount anyway. I hadn't thought of that before. I'll have to chat with them the next time I'm in the store.

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I agree, @John Brunner. I do not put corporate apps on my phone.

7. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Me either, but then, I don't know how.:p

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

John Brunner,

I will tell you tomorrow what Lowe's Yonkers does; now; am on my way to said store right now.
    BTW, I never bought the 10 and 50% discount because they increase the prices beforehand. Now, I must recognize Lowe's has lower prices / better selection...is closer to my home and the employees are nicer than in HD.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

When I got my first SmartPhone, I looked at all the glorious apps I could install. Then being a contracts guy, I read the Agreements. I was infuriated that a "free" bird watching app got permission to access my data and my Contact List!!! After reading a couple of other similarly-inappropriate agreements, I didn't even bother anymore. I'll pay dollars before I'll sell my data (yeh, I know...me and Don Quixote.)

I hate to admit it, but I've installed Walmart's app. As I'm shopping I can see if the store has a specific item in stock, get the price, and know what aisle it's on. Not only can I scan any barcode and get the price while in Walmart, I can scan any barcode in any competitor's store and if Walmart carries that product, I know what they charge. If Walmart weren't the only/primary game in town here, I wouldn't have installed this.

I'm sure I'm paying a price for installing this app. I know that they tie in-store purchases to my online account if I use the same credit card..

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. John Brunner

Funny, I've always preferred Home Depot (and Hechinger's back in the day.) I think that's because Lowes was the only game in town when we moved to the DC region in '63. Back then you went to the counter to place your lumber and hardware order, then drove around back to the pickup area where their staff had pulled your items from the warehouse. They were set up more for commercial customers than for retail.

Regarding marking stuff up...I assume you mean the place in general is higher to offset the 5% discount. I have no idea. There are no home improvement stores but Lowes in a 30 mile radius...although Home Depot just bought an abandoned strip mall in Charlottesville. They'll open for business in a few years.

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Google Chrome on each boot searches all your software and reports what you have installed. They attempted to deny it sends information to them but that's horse hockey as the colonel said. The way it was discovered is it consumes a heck of a lot ram on each startup and in some cases makes that startup take forever while it spies on your stuff installed. I searched and found how to shut it down in settings. I would never have discovered it unless my computer hadn't choked on startup. I know my computer better than my family and if there is something happening I will not stop until I know what it is. Even if that means re installing and thank goodness you can still do that using win 7.

12. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have the Walmart and Kroger app. I use it when I use the grocery "pick-up" service. I sign out of it afterwards but I don't know if that makes any difference.

John Brunner likes this.
  13. John Brunner

This conversation caused me to go looking for how nefarious the Walmart app might be, and I only came across one "Social Justice" article regarding Walmart collecting demographic data to charge higher prices where there's no competition...but you don't need an app for that, you can get it from the Census Bureau website. (There was no mention of politicians limiting competition from inner cities.)

Here is a comment I put up in February regarding Apple implementing more tracking controls for iPhone users, and that one change costing Facebook alone $10 Billion in a single year in lost advertising revenues. So (a) it's big business, and (b) iPhones may provide somewhat of a firewall. But all businesses still have a trove of data just from the direct commerce we engage in.

Krystal Shay likes this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Hannaford does that here, but they also use the waste, along with other vegetable wastes, to produce their own brand of compost, which is offered for sale in their stores in the spring sometimes. It doesn't seem to be available each spring, at least not in our store, but it seems to be there every couple of years, and at a good price.

15. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I have an old win 7 laptop that kept giving me notices that I didn't have room for the 'security installations' it needed. First I tried to cooperate, then I thought I don't use it for much so don't need much security.
    Well, I got a chrome book but don't use that for too much either but that and my new phone are now synced or something because I needed a gmail account. So I went to my old laptop and low and behold it is now loaded and I think it is a win 10 which I did not want. They made me secure even if I liked being vulnerable.
    I bank at my credit union, not on line and do paper mailings although people keep sending notices to entice me not to. Eventually it will be a force issue but not until EVERYONE has the internet.
    What's an app?;)

Don Alaska likes this.