Anyone Ever Read The Drug Monographs?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Faye Fox, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Daniel B Cooper

Daniel B Cooper Well-Known Member
    Registered

The very first thing my 89 year old Mother does when I pick up her meds is read the side effects from front to back :mad:.

Except for the BP pill for my vacarus the side effects for the rest are increased appetite , dry mouth and possible red eyes? :D

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There's the whole correlation/causation thing, coupled with the cost of the bad press you get by fighting it is more than just settling Class Action en masse. So who knows what the truth is or if it will ever be found out.

Then you wonder what the point of funding the FDA is.

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. John Brunner

I'm the exact same way. I used to have a copy of the PDR (Physician's Desk Reference) around. These days I read about the med on at least 2 websites.

I recently got an antibiotic from Walmart and was annoyed that they no longer give you the info in writing...you gotta go to their website. Not everyone in this rural area has internet. And even though I do, I found it off-putting.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The FDA is largely funded by the people they are supposed to regulate, so the agency is largely worthless. This was certainly obvious during the recent pandemic, but it has been pretty apparent prior to that to those who looked. It is run on a system of bribery, so it really isn't much good.

5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I only skim or reading those,unless it is new medicine. But you can find out all you need to know online. When hubby accidentally took his meds twice few months ago, oi was online reading waht to look for incase something did happen. For every drug we take the trade off is the possibility of something else happening when taken long term. Even with OTC meds and or vitamins. After almost 5 years of being on my few meds and no problems ,I see no reason to change now. Have had doctorst ell me they hate all those commericals as it just casuses them more problems with patients.

6. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

And only Losartan made by certain factories/labs were recalled. I've taken Losartan for years and was reassured (and shown) by my pharmacy that there was no recall for my manufacturer.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  7. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

NDMA contamination??

8. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

My SIL tells me all the time," stop reading those side effects" all drugs have them but some more dangerous. Hubby says, you read the side effects then won't take it. I do take half of one of my BP meds if it gets high, but not every day like doc told me to do. And I take aspirin which has side effects too.
    All those other drugs they prescribed past 20 years to take like statins, Metformin, Lisinopril I refuse to take. Yet my SIL never seen a drug she didn't like and she is doing ok, hubbys mother same thing she lived to be 86 but also passed from medication liver poisoning.

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Another pharmaceutical company is recalling a blood pressure medication that could increase the risk of cancer if taken in large amounts.

On Wednesday, Lupin Pharmaceuticals recalled four lots of Quinapril Tablets because the medication has too much of the nitrosamine impurity N-Nitroso-Quinapril, the FDA announced.

The medication in question is marked as:

▪ Quinapril Tablets USP, 20mg | lot No. G102929 | expiration date of April 2023

▪ Quinapril Tablets USP, 40mg | lot Nos. G100533, G100534, G203071 | expiration dates of December 2022 and March 2024

10. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I take an older BP med, Atenolol and a fairly old one Amlodpine and both work just fine for me. I believe all BP mes mostly likely cause some fatigue but it may llessen with time.

Years ago I was conideing Celebrex amd at about that timeframe Vioxx was new and was recalled...so I'm not wandering into the world of pharma anti inflammatories.

All drugs come with a list of possible/probable S/E and I won't entertain them.

I manage good with my supplements....and no S/E.

Good to see the BP med is being recalled.

There are so many BP meds, often the old ones do good for patients.

11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

A lot of drugs from China contain NDMA or other carcinogens. I don't know if it is deliberate or just sloppy manufacturing practices.

Marie Mallery and Bobby Cole like this.
  12. John Brunner

Before the days of the internet, I used to keep a Physician's Desk Reference (PDR) in my bookcase. Sure, I'd read what came with the meds, but the PDR gave lots more info.

13. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Some use the PDR and some use the Merck Manual. Both are good, but the PDR is better, I think, for drug info.

14. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I agree with this. Doctors and other qualified people need to make decisions about drug administration. Citizens need to be made aware of benefit/risk but a drug company advertising to the public on TV is simply pushing a product to an inappropriate audience. So many times I see an ad on TV and it escapes me what it is even supposed to be treating. Never mind, just go ask your doctor to prescribe Metaxilfabulin ASAP.

15. John Brunner

But someone like me does a lot of his own research because--at best--doctors simply cannot be on top of everything. So while I agree that these commercials might be inappropriate, when it comes to my own healthcare no one but me has a vested interest, and I need the information. That being said, I don't think that these things should be available OTC (there are some people arguing that status for antibiotics.) But I think we've all had enough bad experiences with the medical community to not delegate our beings to it...and even the best doctors are imperfect.

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.