Anyone Here Lives In Or Have Lived In Colorado

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa? Except for the big cities, all are farming and ranching states. We love all of them.

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I hope wherever you land Cody...that you remember you're getting older, and rent near lots of amenities... ..you can always go out at weekends and visit the ranches and the beautiful farms...

Tim Burr likes this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have visited all of them, but I have not lived in any. My wife was raised in Iowa, so I spent a lot of time there, and found the people living there about as arm and friendly as can be. I find the "flat states" to be a bit boring terrain-wise, but I adore the folks who live there.

Yvonne Smith and Tim Burr like this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

This Thread isn't really about us moving, it's more to find out if anyone on this forum has ever lived or still live in one of those states. I don't hear/read anything on this forum about any of those states. So, was just wondering.

Frank Sanoica and Holly Saunders like this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes, when a person gets out of the big/bigger cities, people are a lot more friendlier. Less people, less crime and less traffic.

Yep, Iowa, the "corn belt", plus other crops and cattle.

6. Holly Saunders

Registered

NO I know that Cody...but it just reminded me to say it... :)

7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I've never been there but I think Robert Redford has a big ranch in Wyoming and if I had a bucket list that would be one of the places I would put on it to visit. :)

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I tell so many stories about growing up in Idaho that I thought the whole world probably knows that I used to live there.
    I think that northern Idaho is one of the most beautiful places in the whole world, and it is the place where I will always live in my heart. You can’t find a prettier land to live in or friendlier people to be neighbors with.

Since I grew up riding my horse every minute that I could, and have had horses all of my life until the last few years, I can say that Idaho is a wonderful place for people who love trail rides and other horse activity.
    There are mountains, beautiful lakes for swimming, fishing, or just paddling around in a boat or kayak.
    Southern Idaho is like a whole different state almost, because a lot of it is flatter and dry, although there are some amazingly beautiful mountains in southern Idaho as well.
    Bobby and I lived for a couple of years in Boise when he was working at the Boise Rescue Mission there.

You didn’t mention Montana, but it is also magnificent, and has a real cowboy atmosphere, and different parts of the state are more meadow and other areas are more mountainous, at least near the north Idaho border.
    Montana is the home of the Bison Range, and they used to have a weekend trail ride there each year, and it was a memorable experience to go on that ride.
    When we rode to the top of the mountain range, we could see what looked like half of the state of Montana down below us, and Flathead Lake off in the distance.
    The buffalo looked like a herd of tiny field mice as they ran through the prairie at the foot of the trail we were on.
    I have never lived in Montana, just traveled through it, but there are a lot of areas where it would be great to live, although Montana gets extremely cold in the winter, and Cutbank, Montana is usually one of the places that sets records for coldness.
    In Idaho, we had some winters where it was down to -30, but that was not for the whole winter, and it sure made us appreciate it when the temperature came back up above 0+ again !

Here are some pictures my son (that lives in northern Idaho) took and set to music in this version of the Cowboy’s Prayer.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  9. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

As most on the board know, lived in Nebraska ( central part ) up until we moved
    to Nashville.

2 years at Offutt AFB near Omaha, then a small radar site where I met my wife.
    15 years in a small town in central Nebraska, after I retired and where my wife
    and both boys were all born.

The wife is a farm girl, can fish and hunt with the best of them.
    Both her and my sons consider themselves 'Corn Huskers' and if you ever
    drove pass our house in Nashville, it would be apparent.

I personally enjoyed my years there, people were great.

As the sign states as you cross our border, "Nebraska, The Good Life".

Hope I can explain our discision to move away.

When I retired from the Air Force, I promised my wife and family that they
    would now have a chance to 'plant some roots' and stay in one place, make
    friends without the fear of leaving them because 'Dad Got Orders..."
    Bought a house and settled in.
    My youngest got to do all his school years in one town.

I never regretted this.

When my youngest moved away to go to college, the wife and I decided to
    try a different place and we enjoyed our visits to Nashville.

As things worked out, one son is my neighbor and the other lives across town
    from us.

Now that I am ready to 'pack it in' and fully retire, we are once again discussing
    a protenial move. Nothing firm yet. My choice is Trinidad, the Wife's is the UK.

I'll just do what I'm told; I could do either one!:)

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Beautiful! Nice post too Yvonne. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Holly Saunders

Registered

12. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh
    I lived in Canon City, Colorado in 1977. Beautiful area, prison town, gateway to the Sangre DeCristo Mountains, close to Royal Gorge, skiing, Leadville (one of highest incorporated towns). Very little opportunity for a newly-graduated Engineer who accepted a job as Plant Engineer at Flintkote Co., manufacturing gypsum wallboard (drywall). Frank

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I lived in Iowa for a year. After high school, a friend and I were on our way to California when his VW bus broke down, and we found a job on a bridge construction crew. We rented an old farmhouse just outside of Homestead, Iowa, while we worked on a couple of bridges in the area. I don't generally count Iowa as one of the places where I lived though because it was really just a job. I have visited all of these states, however. No wait, I have never been in South Dakota.

Don Alaska and Frank Sanoica like this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Dang, I left "Big Sky Country" out (Montana)...…..definitely can't do that. I already said this in another posting, but I've been to both Bozeman and Billings. One thing I found out about Billings, people there don't like (at all) seeing a California license plate. Was at the public library in downtown and when I came out, found a note on my windshield concerning the Calif. plate on my truck. Don't know about now, but back in the mid 90's, they sure didn't like Calif. plates.

Other than that, everyone in Billings was nice.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just haven't put another one in. Took the other one out when I was on my "taking a break" crusade. LOL

Holly Saunders likes this.