Anyone Know Essential Oils?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Mari North, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

First of all, I know I could Google this, and have :D (before anyone suggests that)... but I'd like personal opinions of anyone who's used this.

I bought some premium clove bud oil for a friend's daughter's toothache because it's so highly recommended. Only the toothache went away before I could get it to her and I'm stuck with an expensive bottle of oil. Any ideas on other uses? I have no diffuser and don't want one, so basic aromatherapy is out.

Most of what I can find is that for "other uses" besides teeth/gums, I'd have to dilute it in a "carrier oil"... but... gee, I don't want to buy ANOTHER bottle of expensive oil to waste when this one was a mistake!

My ideal would be if it could be used for sleep.. like I believe lavender oil is... but probably no such luck, right?

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Hope this helps you Mari. :)

Uses of Clove Bud Oil

The oil of clove buds is known for its antimicrobial, antifungal, antiseptic, antiviral, aphrodisiac, and stimulant properties.3 Apart from its positive effects in the field of dental care, it can also be used as a treatment for minor health concerns. Below are some of the most common uses of this plant oil:4, 5, 6

• Digestive aid – Cloves possess beneficial properties that help relax the smooth muscle lining in your gastrointestinal tract. When used as an oil, it can aid in halting digestive problems, like nausea and vomiting.
    • Skin care product – When applied topically, clove buds can help address skin problems like warts, acne, sagging skin, and wrinkles.
    • Insect repellent – When used together with citrus essential oils, this plant oil can help ward insects away.
    • Expectorant – Clove bud oil is also used to help ease respiratory problems, such as cough, colds, sinusitis, asthma, and tuberculosis. In fact, chewing on a clove bud is said to help sore throats.
    • Antiseptic – It is applied topically to address fungal infections, wounds, and cuts. It is also a common treatment for athlete's foot.
    • Perfume ingredient – Bud oil, with its strong and unique scent, is used in carnation, rose, and honeysuckle perfumes. It has a strong and unique scent.
    • Flavoring agent – This is because of the oil's unique flavor and aroma.
    • Soap ingredient – Clove bud oil is used in soaps not just for its fragrance, but also because of its relaxing and antiseptic qualities.
    • Massage oil – It can be used to relieve pain and stress.
    Composition of Clove Bud Oil

3. Mari North

Registered

Thanks, @Babs Hunt ... yeah, these are the things I mentioned I found online, but I'd like to hear from anyone who's actually used them... and for additional ideas to what's on Google. Also, these uses are all (or nearly all) the ones I mentioned that need the carrier oil.

4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry I couldn't be of help in this Mari. I think my godchild actually was working selling Essentials Oils for a time. I will ask her about this for you. :)

5. Mari North

Registered

That would be great! Thanks again, @Babs Hunt . I think if I'd have to buy a carrier oil, I'd just get rid of this bottle when it expires if there are no additional toothaches... instead of doubling the loss with something else I couldn't use. :)

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I am currently looking, and placed in my Amazon Cart, but not bought yet, a Cypress Oil, along with a Coconut Oil (as a carrier). I read that it is very important to use a "carrier oil" when using oils like Cypress in order to make the Cypress work to its full extent.
    I have, and have been having, Tinnitus in my left ear for a few years now. It's not really serious, like keeping me from sleeping at night, but would like to get rid of it as much as possible. I've read that there are some folks that have Tinnitus very, very bad.

I also thought the Cypress and Coconut (carrier) would help out with my head congestion. Sudafed and Zyrtec don't seem to help much.

So, any suggestions?

Another thing, I'm very, very glad that I found this old thread instead of starting a new one.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When my wife was making soap, she would often use essential oils but she's too busy to make soap these days. If they were truly essential, I'd think we'd all know about them.

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I saw a video about making an oil still. It is kinda the reverse of a regular still, as you want the oil to fall out and the water, with a lower boiling point to rise away.