Anyone Using Microsoft Edge Browser?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Ed Wilson, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I primarily have been using FF but occasionally switch to Internet Explorer just for the halibut. Last time I did I was offered to have downloaded Microsoft Edge for Win 8.1 since Explorer was past it's prime. I did the download and am just learning the browser now, but everything seems fine so far. It might be a little faster and there are options I probably will never use. Am using it as we speak. It seems to have a mix of all the features of the three major browsers in one.

2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I tried Edge when it first came out. Thought it was very slow. Chrome seemed simpler to learn and faster, so I stuck with it. Newer versions of Edge may be better now.

Ed Wilson likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I only use Edge as a last resort. I'm finding that I have so many ad and content blockers on Firefox that many times website pages don't display correctly. I don't know why web browsing has to be so annoying these days.

Joan Kuper and Ed Wilson like this.
  4. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I found a cool feature under options which is "Read Aloud". Click on the text and as the name says, it reads it aloud.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Direct Answer: No, I don't use Edge.

Tangential Diatribe: I use FF mainly for perceived privacy protection; in other words, I avoid Google and Microsoft browsers based on reputation only. For some reason, my WIN 10 computer had Edge set as the Default Program to view PDFs...I changed that setting. The only time I'll use a non-FF browser is to test to see if website issues I'm experiencing are caused by FF.

I agree with Beth regarding privacy features (on top of using an Ad Blocker) that interfere with website functionality. There is one feature I have to turn off whenever I access the calendar in Yahoo mail, but I turn it back on as soon as I'm through. There is another feature I have permanently disabled for certain websites because of the technology the websites use for specific features (some grocery stores use scripts for their Weekly Ad feature...FF blocks them.)

I had a situation not too long ago where Walmart's website stops displaying product details when accessed from their Search Results page...all that appeared were the universal headers and footers. I contacted them and was told they were working on it. I played around with the privacy settings in FF and got the pages to work. I called Walmart back to let them know (they likely rolled out a change that was having Privacy compatibility issues with certain browsers.)

6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I find 'edge' OK but I can't do this .... @Beth Gallagher - haha well I couldn't until a moment ago ! I've been having to type in the name meself :p

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

It's available for a Mac and I have it. I've used it a few times and it seems to work fine, but it doesn't do anything that Safari doesn't do so I see no reason to switch.

8. Steven Stanick

Steven Stanick Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It just got a lot better recently, vey satisfied.

9. Ken Anderson

I am giving Microsoft Edge a try. My last Mac update dumped my saved browser tags, to sites that I use for work so, since I have to hunt stuff down anyhow, I thought I'd give Edge a try. I get more Bing Rewards points if I use Edge as my browser so it make sense to do that. I still think it's very much like Safari, and haven't yet come across anything that makes it worse than Safari, although there are no improvements over Safari that I've come across yet either.

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I use rebate websites (Rakuten and MrRebates) for shopping online. I found that with all my Firefox "protection," I was not getting the rebate $$ from purchases. Having to disable everything for a website via Firefox defeats the purpose so I switch to Edge for using the rebates websites. Also, I find that I can't read product reviews on Macy's website with Firefox, so I switch to Edge or Opera when searching Macys. What a PITA it gets to be.

11. John Brunner

Interesting. I'll have to check those rebate websites out, althoughI generally lack the patience to pick at the fringes of saving a dollar here and a dollar there. I was house poor for so long that it's freeing to not have to obsess over the pennies any more in order to survive (not saying that you have to, I've just done my time.)

I can't think of any Firefox protections I use other than cookies that aren't website-specific (Tracking Protection, Privacy Essentials), and that aren't turned on/off right in the address bar when I'm on the site (meaning no digging through the Options page.) Maybe our setups are different, or you're going deeper into the browser's settings than I am.

My Firefox issues arise with certain websites that need to "remember" my browser for security purposes. I'm on Vanguard, and 100% of the time, I have to enter a code sent via text in order to log in. I even check the "Remember this browser" box when I log in. Their Tech Support has the standard list of things to do (cookie settings, etc) that I've already done. Not long ago Amazon suddenly started sending me "You have logged in from a different device" messages pretty regularly, even though I've had the same pc/internet/browser setup for years with no issues. Got no idea why. Verizon assigns random IP Addresses when you restart the Jet Paks, but I don't really do that very often. And that never triggered Amazon before.

Then there are other secure financial sites (my bank, my 401k provider) that have recognized my browser for years with no issues at all. Maybe I should be concerned about them. What I've been taking for functioning technology may be a case of suck security.

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I started using the rebates sites in 2017. It's easy; you just go to their website, then select the merchant where you're shopping. I have received $908.72 from MrRebates and $1173.56 from Rakuten in those 3 years. So basically, free money since I was shopping regardless. I consider it in the same light as my cash-back credit card. :D

I just get tired of adjusting settings on browsers, I don't care how "easy" it is. I've got all the icons in my task bar but it's still annoying trying to figure out which one is causing the stupid issue. I tried the DuckDuckGo browser extension and ended up removing it. I don't like that search engine and it was interfering with other stuff, so buh-bye.

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. John Brunner

I use DuckDuckGo as my Default Search Engine for its purported lack of tracking, but the results are not always the best, especially when searching pics and videos. For that, I open a private window and use Bing...but I'm unaware of DDG causing any issues I've noticed.

I stopped using Yahoo when I was watching the Tonight Show and googled Johnny Carson. Suddenly I started receiving embedded ads for Tonight Show DVDs. Then it started happening with other product searches, so I switched search engines and stopped using Yahoo as a home page.

I'm still raging against the machine, likely long after there's anything I can do about it. But the illusion of control, etc. etc. etc.

14. Ken Anderson

I am back to Safari. The latest update to Microsoft Edge for Mac doesn't work, as it causes an error in cookies. The browser seems to think that I am not accepting cookies whereas my preferences clearly show that I am. If it doesn't allow me to accept cookies, it's pretty much useless, so I am back using Safari. It's too bad too because I was starting to like Edge. I tried contacting Support but, while Microsoft makes a version for Mac, they don't support their version for Mac.

15. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I tried it yesterday because I've been trying to order online at a particular site and neither Safari no r Firefox work. Since Edge didn't work either it will hit trash today