Anything Technically Wrong With The Us Election Procedure?

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Thomas Stearn, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Terry Coywin

Terry Coywin Veteran Member
    Registered

I am not afraid of politics, Thomas. It was my major in college, but I indicated that I decided to leave seeking political offfice behind me. due to corruption within the system.

Ed Wilson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

I see, Terry. That makes a difference. Not in my wildest dreams would I have sought political office.;)

Terry Coywin likes this.
  3. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

The most corrupt political organization this country ever experienced was theTammany Hall machine, run by "Boss Tweed" in NYC in the 1860-1892 period.

It was a Democratic organization, active from the 1790s to the 1960s, and was known for corruption, graft, embezzlement, fraud, and stealing elections.

Hal

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  4. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Don't know about your dates but it was bad. Boss Tweed is mainly responsible for the "Sullivan Law" starting NYS draconian and in my mind unconstitutional weapons law. It was claimed to be a crime fighting bill, however the crime that they were trying to prevent was citizens fighting back against Tammany Halls extortion thugs.The thugs came in the form of NYC policeman. Boss Tweed was tired of his men being attacked and confronted,it really cut into revenues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sullivan_Act

Terry Coywin likes this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Thomas, that explains things for some, but not all.
    I remember an NBC reporter back in 2015 investigating how teenagers in Macedonia were creating websites with misleading information about US politics. The kids claimed they could make more money than they ever could with a full time job. [The unemployment rate in Macedonia was 24.6 percent in 2015]. Nobody I knew in real life at that time understood what I was even talking about when I told them about it, because they were rarely on the internet except to check email.

Apparently that activity has slowed down there now. I can speculate how it got started, but why are some Americans now doing this? Is it that lucrative here too?

Bobby Cole and Thomas Stearn like this.
  6. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

The U..S. has a great chance of voting corruption when you have all the states responsible for voting in their state and without a U.S. voting ID. When mail in voting is sent to dead people or cats. This system is ripe for corruption.

7. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Sure. It was and still is lucrative for a site-owner and the ways to earn money have been refined since (programmatic advertising, link recommendation services, etc.). Info and studies are available on the internet as well. It's still a million-dollar business but financial gain is not the only motivation. Apart from attention seeking, promoting an ideology and swaying an opinion is just as important. Needless to say that they benefit from the fact that a lot of people would always prefer freely accessible information, whatever it is, to that behind a paywall and here we come full circle.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  8. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A few years ago, I read an explanation of how many thousands of webpages are added/posted daily,
    just to take up space - thousands of 'ghost' writers, are paid per word to create pages of 500 or a thousand or whatever number of words about some topic, and none of it needs to be truthful at all.
    I've seen way more of this happening the last five or ten years - so much so that bogus sites that "look real", far outnumber the real sites - politically, religiously, scientifically, and basically every topic.

So much so, that word /topic searches now return many more made up and false entries than tried and true entries , with no 'good' indication?/flag/ to alert viewers or readers about this.

Yvonne Smith and Nancy Hart like this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Just to play a bit, if you look up the topic of one of the threads here on Google, it will generally show up. Then, if you follow it through you’ll be reading SoC and the myriad of posts concerning that topic. Are they all fact? Not from where I stand but there are people who are concerned about having the facts printed which is where a lot of debate comes in.
    Hopefully, anyone doing any kind of real research would not consult a community forum as opposed to a fully referenced paper on a subject but, some do which is why I tend to get a tad testy when I see made up stuff that is more emotional than factual.

As a side bar, Yvonne and Ken constantly keep moving posts to the threads that are the most relevant to. For one reason, if something is a conspiracy theory, one wouldn’t want that post in a thread that is supposed to be factual. I know that Yvonne reads every single new post that hits this forum and moves what she must and gives a heads up to Ken when things are really askew.

Jeff Elohim likes this.
  10. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Logic how can a Biden rally of 10 out number a Trump rally of 10,000 at the voting poll
    Why when they check the voting machines the conclusion is blocked by democrat judge.
    The Chinese have infiltrated almost all parts of government and industry all around the world even US
    Here is a video with some answers.
    Our COUNTRY tis of THEE?? or CHyN@'s? Starting to ALL make sense now!

11. Jeff Elohim

Registered

It scares a lot of people when they first see it.

Some remain in denial, to protect their own identity. (I think)

That kind of change - admitting what is happening, is too much for many to accept. (I think)

12. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

Talking
    About the election...Today is D-day. Today the delegates will -most likely- confirm Ole Joe as POTUS.
    I don't think I will ever vote again.

Jeff Elohim likes this.
  13. Jeff Elohim

Registered

Cool.
    Good.
    Someone else I met last month said the same thing -
    about Bush's getting in office... (that long ago, yet longer ago it was true also) ...
    That was the last time he voted, seeing his own vote , and other's votes, did not actually matter.

14. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm not ever going to give up. I will vote in every election until I die and then I'll have one of my sons vote for me.

Bobby Cole and Beth Gallagher like this.
  15. Jeff Elohim

Registered

That is your right so to do. (I guess)