Apartment Complex Manager

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

If you were an Apartment Complex Manager and either the Regional Manager or Owner told you to basically leave residents alone that won't obey the Leasing Agreement Rules, how would you feel.

IOW, smoking rules, noise rules/restrictions, dog leash rules, vehicle parking rules, etc. that many residents just won't obey and will say "I don't care".

How would you handle all of this?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If I were an apartment complex manager (and I have been an assistant apartment complex manager before), I would handle things in whatever manner my superior wanted me to, which could be the owner, a property management company, or someone else. I am generally pleased to be able to leave people alone so that certainly wouldn't be an order that would annoy me. If I were an apartment complex owner, that might be another thing, but I would still be inclined to leave people alone wherever it made sense to do so.

I have also been an apartment tenant several times, and never once made a complaint about another tenant.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, she hasn't left everyone alone! There is a notice on a garage from the Sheriff's Dept. stating that a Court Approved Eviction has happened and nothing can be removed from inside the garage. Garage door is closed. I didn't know the person that had the garage, but do know that he was a very heavy-set middle age man that couldn't walk. Each time I seen him he was sitting in a wheelchair. Whomever he had helping him, the young guy would open the garage, that the Notice is nailed to, and pull out a rather large black SUV to drive the man places.
    Now, whether the man wasn't paying rent, or what, we don't know. He lived in another building.

And, then, there's a young guy, that moved here with his wife and baby son from So. California, who had his off-road race car towed. It had been sitting in the same parking spot, the front jacked up on jack stands, which is against the Rules here, for at least a couple of weeks. I found out that the Manager had sent him three messages about his car and he ignored all of them. Guess he didn't really think his car would be towed...............well, surprise, surprise. He did get it back and had it put into his garage, but, because he was really mad about what happened, he decided to fly the State of California flag on his patio. Talked to him last night and they are making plans on leaving Colorado. He was another that would smoke a cigarette anywhere. I seen him.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Funny, Beth, but that's almost exactly what I tell the maintenance girl. I also tell her, "when you get to be 72, and retired, see what you get curious about."
    Anyway, wife and I always, want to know what's happening in the complex we live in. No matter how we find out, it's our right to know...........at least that's the way we feel about it.
    In our last complex, there was a murder/suicide. A big thunderstorm kept people from hearing the two gun shots. So, how did we find out something happened, two Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Crime Scene vans showed up at the complex and local news media were right outside the entrance to the complex broadcasting "live".

6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh .. Confused. The owner/Regional manager told the complex manager to leave people alone?
    Your coming across as a busybody, might want to check that before someone decides to snuff you out. ;)

Al Amoling and Beth Gallagher like this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, we don't know if that's what the complex manager was told, but in some ways, it sure looks that way. We have Lease Agreement Rules/Policies here, just like any other apartment complex, that people should follow. We aren't "busybodies", we just like to know what goes on. There are homeowners that will see a fire truck, ambulance or police car stopped at a house in their neighborhood and want to know what is going on and/or what has happened. A fire, heart attack, drug bust, home invasion, car break-in or whatever, some people want to know "what happened?"

There are those that simply don't care what goes on in their neighborhood or apartment complex, but that sure isn't us.

Hedi Mitchell and Marie Mallery like this.
  8. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

The very definition of busybody.

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Sometimes, apartment owners put things in the lease agreement just to be sure that it is in there , in case they need to use that clause for a problem. If the person who is not following the lease agreement, but is not causing a problem, then the managers might be told to overlook these slight disobedience to the rules. Smoking a cigarette might be an example of something like this.

However, if a person is being evicted for non-payment of rent, or having their vehicle towed because it is nonfunctional and sitting up on jacks (which could be dangerous), that is a totally different thing than overlooking someone who is smoking somewhere that it is not allowed. Even if the manager was told to leave people alone, it would not apply to situations where someone was being evicted.

Ed Wilson likes this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Well just " let them touch them things" says radical liberal fool who worries about the down drodden while spending millions on her wedding.:rolleyes:,let the nutcase give her own resources away ,let them move into her millionaire hood and touch her things.
    Hubbys brother 'use to' live in a nice little bedroom community with medium income residents.In comes the 'touchables',now his yard is off limits to his great grand kids because of used syringes from the bull dog owning gang next door whos bulldogs dig under fence and run into his yard .
    Why was it so bad to try and keep up your neighborhood? We use to have a culture where if you worked hard to live in a safe place you were allowed the right to association and to live safely in your home?
    One family moved into our hood and property values took a $40,000 dive. So we were under water with their morgage's. Now there are campers living like they do in Haiti
    Should we be ashamed to want a decent place to live and a little something to leave to our kids?
    I guess its just gose with the flow,huh?

Mary Stetler and Cody Fousnaugh like this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

So, neither you or Yvonne care at all what goes on around where you live? Any kind of crime can happen and you don't care? Are people that care about what goes on in their city "busybodies"?

Ed Wilson likes this.
  12. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

That Celine Dionne video is a edited portion of a longer interview. My point is, it was about the days immediately after Hurricane Katrina. Over 1000 people died. People were stranded in their houses and at the convention center. And many were focused only on looters. I remembering feeling similar frustration at the time.

13. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I know your not saying let them rape ,unjury and rob the whole town.
    I say let them who do 'rouch'them things be touched back. No excuse for hurting or taking from others.Even children were being raped and abused by these lowlife thugs.These poor people had enough to deal with as it was. Help the needy not the violent greedy [ gee I'm a poet and didn't know it]:p.

Nancy Hart and Cody Fousnaugh like this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

When we owned (buying) our house here in Colorado before, we were under an HOA and that didn't bother us a bit. An HOA is like a complex property manager in that they are both suppose to keep the Development or apartment complex safe and make sure residents follow rules put into the HOA Agreement or Leasing Agreement.

I remember, when we lived in that house, our HOA left us a Notice stating that we needed to repaint our garage doors (3-car garage). They would reimburse us for the paint, rollers and brushes (and they did). In fact, had enough paint left over to repaint our entire front porch. Garage and front porch looked fabulous! But, there are those that don't like an HOA at all. An HOA keeps the community looking neat/clean and there are homeowners that don't want/need a neat/clean looking community. "Nobody is going to tell me how the outside of my home should look" and many, many of those front/backyards are just plain trashy (cars/car parts, whatever). It can be like the homeowner is running a Pick-A-Part yard at his/her home.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

There certainly isn’t anything wrong with knowing your surroundings. If anything else, it’s the first lesson a military person learns in order to protect themselves. And there’s certainly nothing wrong with wanting to have peace, stability and security in and around your own home and doing whatever it takes to preserve those needs.
    We watch what goes on around us and when the opportunity presents itself to better our neighborhood we take that opportunity whether it’s someone who is in need or adversely when someone is acting the fool.

That said, when one dislikes the neighbor because they have tattoos, have a different sexual orientation or for whatever personal dislikes one may have then we have a problem.
    In the case of Cody, the main problem for me is the idea that a person who works for the apartment complex is a gossip and is encouraged to be so.

Cody complains that people aren’t following the rules and the manager isn’t enforcing them. Okay, there are other avenues around the manager to ensure that the rules as outlined in a lease are followed.
    But, what grinds my grits is that I am extremely sure that the company rules which apply to an employee’s behavior do not include allowing the maintenance person the privilege of passing along confidential information regarding the other residents. e.g. who is being evicted, who is in trouble or who is a grump or whatever the case may be. If the maintenance person has a falling out with the manager or resident then it gets passed on to other residents and when anything like that happens it’s blown out of proportion from one unit to another.

Whilst Cody is complaining about other residents and their behavior he gladly endorses an employee of the apartment complex when she breaks the rules (or ethics) by gossiping.

Beth Gallagher likes this.