Are There Any New Hobbies That You Might Realistically Pick Up?

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Are there any new hobbies that you might realistically pick up? If not, do you consider yourself too old to pick up a new hobby or too busy?

John Houlihan, Von Jones and Faye Fox like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't think of anything I'd like to try that I haven't already. I wanted to learn how to make artisan breads and I've been giving that a go for the past year. Tried to teach myself to knit but that was too frustrating. I need to start a new exercise program but that's not really a hobby. Recently and for the first time in my life, I have physical limitations that I have to accept so some things that look like fun would not be possible anymore.

Von Jones, Faye Fox and Ken Anderson like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I guess I'd say making things from wood. While I have done that in the past, it's been quite a while since I have and I don't have the tools for it anymore. However, I am tentatively thinking about converting our attic into a woodworking area and buying some tools. Having the tools would help me finish off the attic, if nothing more.

Von Jones and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'd like to take piano lessons, but I no longer have a piano and don't want to invest in one at this stage. I took lessons as a kid but didn't apply myself. I tried "keyboarding" but that just didn't do it for me.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

No new hobbies. Just the same one I've done for years...........taking photos/video with iPhone, digital camera and video camera. I had never done it before, but, before going to a waterpark for the first time, we bought a disposable Kodak Water Camera. Took some great photos of us at a few waterparks floating in tubes down a rapids.

Von Jones likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I have been looking for a new hobby, but something that does not require a lot of physical exertion.
    I can tell that my heart failure is getting worse, and even going swimming and doing the gardening is getting hard for me; so I have started “knitting season” early this year.
    I got some acrylic paints, and we are going to go to the thrift store (maybe today ?) and I want to get some sweatshirts with pictures on them and then I am going to learn how to pain on the fabric.
    I have done this before, but it was years and years ago.
    When my kids were little, I drew pictures on the pockets of the jeans and jackets and then painted them with my Artex paint kit, but I have not done that for probably 40 years, so will have to practice before doing anything freehand.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Gosh, I forgot that, some years ago, putting together certain puzzles and then spreading puzzle glue on them (for hanging) was fun. But, in the end, got to be too much work............like a few other things I use to do.:D

Von Jones likes this.
  8. Don Harper

Don Harper Member
    Registered

I thought about a new hobby, because retirement is not a reason not to try something new. My wife loves painting by numbers and solving sudoku. I would like something more active and something that I can do with my family. My daughter bought a ping-pong table for her backyard, rackets, balls - in general, everything that is needed for this game. I'm thinking of trying to use it more than once a months.

9. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Since we had a fire in the house we've been cleaning out the barn to make room for some house items we might be able to salvage. One of the things I found in a tub in the barn was an old soldering station with a Weller soldering gun. My first thought was to save the gun and try some wood burning art, when things settle I like to try it. A soldering iron would probably be a better tool to use and I know I've got some buried somewhere, but I am curious how an gun would work out.

10. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

No. Not that I can think of. I had several hobbies over the years but nothing new has jumped out at me lately that I would want to try. I just try to keep my mind and body as active, as my old tired self will let me. :D

11. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

My daughter suggested that I come up to their ski condo sometime this winter and take up skiing again. I think she was being funny, but who knows....

I'm still snickering as I count the number of possible broken bones and what new hobby activities I could do while in traction. Binge-watch "Game of Thrones" or "Downton Abbey"?

Von Jones and Tony Page like this.
  12. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

My new hobby is making sure that my loved ones are safe by checking on them more frequently. I just went thru Hell trying to licate a friend who I knew had a medical problem. Called 911 only to find out she was recuperating from surgery at her son’s home in another town. And that was why she never answered phone calls from me.

Von Jones likes this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I definitely can find more things to do in the summer when I can be outside and work in the yard and garden. Now, I am pretty much inside most of the time, except for trips to the fitness center.
    I have been knitting and crocheting more, and just gave my son and his wife knitted socks and slippers.
    My latest project was making Poodle a new bathrobe, because it is getting colder now and he will want to be wearing it to bed. This dog loves clothes !
    All i have to do is show him his bathrobe and he is right there, tail wagging, for me to put it on him. He even like the little doggie-pampers that I got him and wears those to bed at night now, too.

7E841DF0-32D6-4ACC-BF52-A6A43A18DEC5.jpeg

14. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Krystal, we really need a hobby but so much upkeep no time for one lately. I am with you on the " old tired" thing. I make myself now for medical reasons.

Krystal Shay likes this.
  15. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

everything thing i do now is necessary stuff...i used to quilt...takes room and equipment that i downsized....don't miss that...cleaning...cooking...
    prepping...that's it...ha!

Marie Mallery likes this.