Are You A Napper?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Joy Martin, Mar 10, 2024.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I can honestly say I have NEVER been a napper. Up until maybe 2 yrs ago or so....can't give an exact when the napping thing got me.

I sleep good, and used a sleep combo of stuff for years and now I find I only take 1/2mg Melatonin about 10:30PM, 1 hr before I go to sleep. Sleep is 9 or so hrs with bathroom trips.

So why the Naps I am trying to figure it out. Could the 1/2 mg Melatonin built up in my body and hence the constant napping? Sounds feasible to me.

2. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh, I am the QUEEN of nappers. I value my naps....I adore my naps. When I was still working, I dreamed of the day when I could take naps in the middle of the day. Well, here I am and I take naps whenever I want. All kinds of naps. The "I'm just resting my eyes while I'm in the lounger" kind, the "I'm just stretching out on the couch for a couple of moments" naps, and the unabashed "crawling under the covers and snoring up a storm" naps.

Naps allow me to take the weight off my body for a while and find a position where very little hurts.

As Shakespeare said in "Macbeth": "Sleep that knits the raveled sleeve of care". Naps keep me sane and knits those sleeves so well you'd never know they were raveled.

Viva la naps!

Jenna Parnellson likes this.
  3. Joy Martin

Registered

Well maybe it's bothering me as I've always been a go go never stop person and now I've just about come to a screaching halt with hip surgry mess and advaned arthritis...

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've napped (2 hours) off & on. When I get out of the habit I don't need it. When I get in the habit, it's hard to break. 5PM-6PM seems to be the time that I either push through or yield to the urge. I was out of the habit for quite a while. I started back up last Monday when I had to get up early and drive an hour to a doctor appointment, although there were a few days when I pushed through and skipped it.

Healthline says that Melatonin is out of your system in 5 hours.

SleepFoundation.org says:
    -The half-life is 20-40 minutes
    --It clears out of your system in 4-5 hours
    -Melatonin can cause drowsiness and daytime grogginess
    -Power naps of 10-20 minutes are the best way to deal with sleep-deprivation
    -Recommended dosages increase with age
    --5 years old, 1mg-2mg
    --6-12 years old, 1mg-3mg
    --13+ years old, 1mg-5mg

I bought some once to try, and the lowest dose I could find was 5mg. It knocked me out all night, but left me groggy a good part of the day. I only took it a few times, then I stopped. I find it interesting that it's cleared our systems hours before we wake up, but can still cause grogginess.

5. Joy Martin

Registered

John: 5mg Melatonin could put a horse to sleep. Couldn't find a lower dose???? My spot seems to be 1/2mg now... I buy 1 mg tab and bite it in half or more...Talking about Melatonin on another board yrs ago and woman announced she takes 10mg nightly, I was shocked beyond shocks....

Last edited: Mar 10, 2024
    John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

Yeh, I could have split it into 4ths. But I don't really need it. I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night, but it's only for a brief period of time.

That's interesting that 1/2mg still leaves you drowsy later. I wonder if you might push through the initial urge to nap and see if it goes away. If I don't give in, I'm fine until regular bedtime.

7. Joy Martin

Registered

Perhaps I need to change my brain and be happy with the naps, My life is so empty at this point and so a nap here and there could be a missing piece of the puzzle....

John Brunner likes this.
  8. John Brunner

We need a pill that eradicates guilt. ;)

Enjoy the naps.

Ed Wilson likes this.
  9. Joy Martin

Registered

Oh John it's not guilt and I don't buy into that one, it's I guess when napping we are doing Nothing...but we are right??????

John Brunner likes this.
  10. John Brunner

We're recharging.

Hedi Mitchell and Joy Martin like this.
  11. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I nap here and there but not on any fixed schedule.

If I take melatonin it is usually 1/2 of a 5mg tablet. But I found that the worst thing for me is to use it as a last resort. If I wait until I feel deep fatigue but cannot sleep it works but leaves me with the worst symptoms ever on the next day.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. Joy Martin

Registered

It's suggested to take Melatonin about an hr before hitting pillow...I learned that one a long while back...

13. Celia Jenkins

Celia Jenkins Well-Known Member
    Registered

A quick doze can be very refreshing. It's only something to worry about if it happens too often. It recharges the batteries.

John Brunner likes this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We've taken naps for years. Even when we'd meet my wife's family in Las Vegas, if we needed a nap at 2PM, we'd go to our room to rest/sleep for an hour or two. We, sometimes, will "try" and take a nap after my wife's gets off of her at-home job at 4PM. Weekends, we will take an hour or so nap during the day, depending on how tired we are.

For sleep at night, we have CBD "Nighttime" Gummies and will chew 1/2 of one. Or, we will take a Tylenol.

15. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I never nap although I felt like it a few times but not often. I will relax in the recliner watching TV when I feel like it and when what I needed to get done is done.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.