Are You Comfortable Around Guns?

Discussion in 'Guns & Weapons' started by Don Alaska, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

From all the reports around here, they are.

We have two major multifaceted gun ranges that started out having a lady’s night but had to expand that to two a week. They both had 1st come, 1st serve but both are now asking the gals to reserve their times.

Several churches around the area have even signed on for weapons and “shooter” training which also obviously includes the ladies.

One other thing that bears being remarked on is the number of women whom I have seen strapped compared to the number of men. The funny thing is that I have seen about 6 or 7 women with belt holsters which would be standard but one middle aged gal had hers slung low and tied just above the knee and yup…pearl handles on that 6 shooter. I didn’t do any asking because frankly, the way she ordered that can of wintergreen Snuz, she kinda scared me.

Alan Sidlo and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, I’d say I’m comfortable around guns…….
    DCA8FD2C-5CFC-4DBE-AD57-24EF3F0889A6.jpeg

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Due to higher hips and other female physiological characteristics, women have challenges finding a comfortable, effective way to carry...either open or concealed. It's not easy to access a gun when you have to extend your arm as high as it will go and still lean to one side to get it out of the holster. For that reason, it's not too uncommon for women to wear Sherpa holsters or other similar rigs:

[​IMG]

As most of us know, this isn't for some Wild West high-Noon shootout...it's for accessibility if she should need it. Seconds count.

Women are a fast-growing segment of the gun community. There's a group called Legally Armed in Detroit that started giving free shooting and safety lessons to Michigan women in 2011 so that those women have a means to self-defense. I recently read this article about it in my monthly NRA magazine. Reading about the slaughter of an innocent defenseless woman cause NRA Instructor Rick Ector to begin this group...many of the female instructors have their own horror stories of abuse. In 2019 the guy's goal was to have 900 participants (up from 700 the previous year.) In August of 2021 the number of attendees exceeded 2,000. His group gave nearly that many lessons in 2020 during Peak COVID. There's lots of support--from manufacturers and stores that donate ammo/ear plugs/eye protection/targets, to 60-80 volunteer instructors, some of whom fly from out of state on their own dime to help.

Here's a May 2019 article on Rick and his efforts in a different magazine.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
    Alan Sidlo, Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

Per topic very comfortable around firearms, being prepared saved my life one time as well as my dad's life AFTER we were attacked and stabbed dad in his eye, also a competitive shooter most all my life here and still do so, for the record most all women I know well also carry a firearm, my neighbor and best friend is in her 80s' and saved her live with a firearm after being almost beat to death and left for dead, the attacker returned to finish the job, living with the aftermath is the bad part I am a firm supporter for the LEGAL right to carry a weapon and do not take those against it well at all.

5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Sadly, we don't hear much about this in the media. I wanted to give to Black guns Matter considering Chicago's situation. The group teaches gun safety and usage. But they require a paper trail.
    I must say, that holster reminds me of storm troupers from Star Wars.
    My girlfriends and I attended a woman's class and started shooting. The only injury so far was one friend got the skin between her thumb and index finger caught by the hammer. ??? Then she was too scared to set herself free.
    My hubby got me a revolver so I could not hurt myself and it would be easy to load. He never foresaw that injury.

John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  6. John Brunner

I have a few of these for my revolvers:

[​IMG]

I used to practice reloading in the dark.

Jerry will show us how it's done...

We don't need no stinkin' mags.

7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Lots of practice, though!!!

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

I can not understand that way of thinking, but then again I don't live in a gun culture.

But an interesting topic never the less.

Alan Sidlo likes this.
  9. Mary Stetler

Registered

Our second amendment to our Constitution protects our right to bear arms. It shall not be infringed upon. One might think it is that hunting is done by many. Or that we may defend ourselves before police arrive.
    It is also to be able to bring together a militia AND to defend against a government out of control. Ours is a younger country than yours. We started everything new.
    It is said that Japan did not invade our mainland during WWII just because of the number of private gun owners.
    Yet our government is working at infringing upon our rights.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I think what the government doesn't want is for the public to own/shoot "Army" style assault weapons. A simple rifle or handgun is one thing, but when I hear an "Army" style weapon shooting fast at a Range, I wonder.

11. Mary Stetler

Registered

The handgun with the barrel tied in a knot is a sculpture at the United Nations in NYC.
    Biden is working on a treaty with the UN
    I want people to know how to use an assault rifle. I don't, but we might need to be ready. Mandates for masks etc were probably only a test to see how far we can be pushed. Frankly, Australia seemed to prove they might stand their ground better. Even polite Canadians who were sanctioned against.(?)

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. John Brunner

"Gun control" has been around long before AR-15s hit the scene.

I posted this in another comment...it's from 2011, but more current graphics I cannot now locate show similar data.

[​IMG]

Of course, the flip side are the self-defense stats.

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

How would you know that it was an "Army" style weapon?

Beth Gallagher and Don Alaska like this.
  14. John Brunner

Here is then-New York Representative Carolyn McCarthy on Tucker Carlson, discussing her sponsored bill "The
    Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007.
    " Tucker asked her to describe the most basic of assault weapon attributes she cites in her sponsored bill, and she was clueless.

Spoiler: He asks her to describe a barrel shroud, and she replies "That shoulder thing that goes up?"

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I know a combat weapon when I see one. They even look like they are used in combat. Like I said, "not just a simple gauged rifle or handgun". They are "assault" type weapons and have even been described as that kind.