Are You Sometimes Just Too Old Fashioned?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I know the old Lassie and Rin Tin Tin days seem to be more "down-to-earth" and family oriented than today, but many of us have to live the way things are "today". The computer, iPhone, HD/Big Screen TV, Blu-Ray DVD Player and the "modern" type vehicles (that seem to have everything in them) are what we have to accept. The old 35mm film camera is gone as well. All the new and "up and coming" electronic stuff coming out is either truly amazing or a real pain-in-the-butt.

For some of us, our kids and grandkids look at us like we are very ancient! "Mom/Dad/Grandpa/Grandma, you've never heard of this or that?" or "you don't know how to use this or that?" Some of us just plainly don't want to know about this/that or how to use this/that. What we have to remember is, times have change, whether we like it or not. Some of us are "too old fashion" and it shows. But, we'd rather go back to those "good old days" than what things are like today.

Wife and I don't see ourselves as "too old fashion". We have some electronics that prove that! We love the "today" stuff and would rather not go back to the "old stuff", even though the "old stuff" days seem to be much easier. For some, marriage in those "old days" was much easier and a lot less divorces happened than today.

How do you feel about this.

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Although much of the World may "label" me Old Fashioned...I know that I am being true to myself and what my values and beliefs are. My Faith, and my Family will always be my top priorities no matter what. And I don't mind alot of the new technology, but that doesn't mean I need to have every new thing that comes out either....especially when what I have is working just fine.

We live in a throw away Society now where the minute we buy something new it is already "old" and the newer version is already being placed on the shelf. People don't make do and wear out things anymore....they dispose of them when they are still perfectly useful for many years to come. People throw away not just things, but people in their lives too. They don't want to have to put any effort out to make a relationship work...instead they just get rid of one and move on to another. They don't know the meaning of the word "commitment" anymore nor do they believe they have to "give to get"...unless that means giving their money to buy what they want. Instead of spending time with their Family, they give them to the "Village" to raise while they go on and "do their own thing".

I can remember my Moma telling me one time when I asked her why I couldn't do something (when my friend was able to do it)...and my Moma asked me if just because my friend would go jump in a snake pit...would I go do that too? I get what she meant now. Just because everybody else says something is right and they are doing it...doesn't mean it is right for me. I am true to myself and my values and beliefs... and that is never going to change no matter what anyone or the World "labels" me. Our throw away Society has polluted this earth we live on because they are never satisfied with anything they have. And they have aborted babies because it was not convenient for them to have them, neglected and abused the children they do have because they don't have time to stop doing their own thing, and they have chosen to put themselves and their happiness above anything else.

Yes, I am old fashioned and proud to say this! :) I'm also very passionate about this subject! :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Older people who go to extreme efforts to appear young, are only fooling themselves.;)

4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Well Babs has said it all for me - great post !
    Yes - I live in the past 'cos I prefer it, I'm stuck in the 50s/ 60s, the best of times for me. Everyone was happy around me
    enthusiastic and certainly enjoying their lives
    Now - far too materialistic for my taste and common sense non existent, so wrapped up in themselves and their image
    they have to take selfies to prove it ! :p
    I'm not joining this crazy world even though there are plenty out there that feel the way I do :)

Babs Hunt likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

But, if they have the money to look young again, why not?

Wife and I use hair coloring and we've gotten some very nice remarks about how we look. People find out how old we are (later 60's) and say "no way!". We both love it!!

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, as the old saying goes, "to each their own!"

But, for us, like many young and some older, we love our material things. In some ways we are "old fashion", but in more ways we aren't and prefer it that way.

"Keeping up with the Jones" can be fun! We don't necessarily do that, but.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    Patsy Faye likes this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Registered

Ha ha - I agree, to each his own, as long as I have me nest, others can feather theirs how they wish :)

Ina I. Wonder and Babs Hunt like this.
  8. Patsy Faye

Registered

That's not going to 'extremes' though Cody - I'd say that's fine and dandy :)

Chrissy Cross and Cody Fousnaugh like this.
  9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I only have a problem when someone tells me I have to feather my nest with their feathers instead of my own! :)

10. Patsy Faye

Registered

I hear ya Babs ! Won't do for me either :)
    @Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We just don't want to be known as the "old fashion" type of couple, even though we are that way sometimes.

It can be hard to get along with the younger generations if a person is too old fashion.

12. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

Our grandson tells his friends he has cool nanna :) that's all I need to hear.

Age is just a number anyway.

13. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree somewhat Cody...but tbh I'm a little confused. I remember a while back you saying that you are not the type who has friends of all ages !

Honey Gee likes this.
  14. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

I think it is all attitude of mind Cody. My parents were fun types and always seemed young at heart. So could mix with all ages.

I feel equally at home within all age groups.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We just don't consider ourselves "old fashion", nearly as much as some like to be.