Avocados? Do You Buy Them And What Do You Pay For Them?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Joy Martin, Jul 4, 2023.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

We Californians are growers of Avocados and we probably get some in from Mexico and Australia. Not that long ago I was able to buy a "treat" avocado for 69cents and a dollar and now I've set my limit to $2.00 as they too have gone outright too pricey for a lot of us.

I enjoy this "fruit" so much and cherish them and know I'm getting a good dose of potassium with each
    avocado I eat.

Also I do not push to buy organic as the thick skins keep pesticides out.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We probably get ours from Florida, and they run anywhere from 2/$1 to $1 each, depending on the sale price and the size. I just got some larger ones today and they were 2/$1.50.
    They are usually green, so I set one out to ripen and put the others in the fridge to keep them fresh, removing one as we eat the ripened one.
    Sometimes they are cheaper by the bag, but those are always the really small avocados.

3. Joy Martin

Registered

Oh, from FL, so you are not getting gouged like we in this Deep BLUE CA.

So many talk about leaving but are so rooted in CA and they love it, except the Crooked Politics.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Most of ours come from Mexico; here are today's price at HEB. They are not on sale.

Screenshot 2023-07-04 at 16-18-26 avocado H-E-B.png Screenshot 2023-07-04 at 16-18-53 avocado H-E-B.png

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Ours came from Peru. I went and looked at the little sticker on the avocado to see if it was from Florida or Mexico, and it turns out not to be from either one.
    In any case, I have always loved avocados, and we buy them all of the time.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

My wife buys them, although I don't like them. The ones from Mexico are $1.19 apiece, and the other choice is the Nature's Choice organic ones for $2.29 apiece.

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Other than the occasional side of guacamole at the Mexican restaurant, I don't eat avocados. It's not that I don't like them, I just don't really have any recipes that call for them.

Then there's the 2nd tier "Avocado Saver" industry that's it's created, generating millions in sales for products that never work. When it comes to avocados, there's no such thing as "leftovers."

8. Joy Martin

Registered

The one I have left right now has a sticky on it from Calavo Growers in CA and I believe was $2.00 ..Trader Joe's sells them too and this one may be from TJ's for $1.69.

I'd love to see that 2 for $________ lower prices...

Well, there is a lot I no longer do where I spend money, so I can't complain, but I do....

https://calavo.com/contact/

9. Joy Martin

Registered

Don't need a receipe, I have none. I will cut up avocado and tuck a piece in a slice of deli meat, eat a slice with a piece of cheese or chop some up in a bowl of soup or just eat plain. They are a good food.

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I just added one to tomorrow's grocery list. I am the most food-suggestible person I know.

I keep hearing of people "wasting their money on avocado toast," so I'm gonna make some tomorrow and see what the buzz is all about.

How do you save your leftovers? Since avocado is so high in fat, I would think you could keep it submerged in water to keep the air out (as some butter keepers do) and it would dry right off.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I love avocado toast. When I (rarely) need to store 1/2 an avocado, I remove the seed and press cling wrap flat against the cut side and into the seed cavity. Then into the fridge. The cut side may get a little dark but it's still good to eat, or you can thinly slice the dark part off.

We usually eat at least one avocado a week; mostly me since my husband can take it or leave it. I like to just use a spoon to eat it out of the rind with a bit of salt and pepper.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I really like slices of avocado on a toasted bagel with garlic salt. Finding an avocado perfectly ripe in the store is not as good an idea as buying it hard and letting it ripen as they get thrown around a bruised. Aldi's has learned this and sells them rock hard--the cheapest in bags of small ones or loose ripe ones. I get giddy when they are 49 cents but they range up to 79. Checking for a ripe one involves a gentle squeeze for me. It is kind of zen. Like squeezing a tomato or a peach and not wanting to bruise it.
    For a keto meal I use nori sheets to make kind of a burrito, sliced avacado, nutritional yeast, sweet onion, pickled ginger and any other thin sliced veggie that tickles my fancy.

13. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes I love them. Walmart has them at 68 cents a piece. A bag of 5-6 is $2.96 regular size

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  14. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

If avocados have a delicate taste, then I'll have to give them one more try one day. Bought one by mistake once. Chopped it up into a salad. Of course the dressing overwhelmed any possible taste, and the texture was like chunks of cold butter. I'll have to try one with just salt. No garlic. :p

15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

@Nancy Hart -- your avocado may not have been ripe enough if the texture was like chunks of cold butter. The consistency of a ripe avocado is very creamy and soft enough to mash into a paste.

It seems that avocado is one of those love/hate things; most people either love them or hate them. A good breakfast is a piece of wheat toast, spread with a thick layer of avocado, and sprinkled with crumbled bacon. Yum!