Bad Week. Eating Junk, No Walking

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Kitty Carmel, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I just have to say it. I've eaten too much junk this week and did no walking at the outdoor track at the gym. I was considering if I should renew my membership because I won't use the pool much once it gets hot and in the summer. Just too many people and kids with summer only memberships.

But I'm not going to give up. I'm going to renew membership for another 3 months and tomorrow is another day. Wish me luck. I need it.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Just hang in there and keep working at it, @Kitty Carmel ! We ALL have weeks when we do not meet the goals we set for ourselves, I think. At least I know that I (for sure) don’t always do what I need to do or want to do.
    Anything that we do helps, so even when I have had a week like you are having, I try to just move past that and do better the next week.
    Maybe you can find a fitness center that focuses on seniors ? The one that Bobby and I go to is part of the hospital system, and so it has mostly seniors or disabled people using the facilities, at least in the swimming part where I go.
    We get some really fit people, too; but seldom are there any children there because it is more of a therapy fitness center than just a swimming pool for kids to have fun.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Shirley Martin likes this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Kitty Carmel
    You MUST keep up the good work. Exercise is akin to continued well-being. No matter how many excuses might be formed against it, you MUST keep it up!
    Frank

Shirley Martin likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't feel too bad @Kitty Carmel ...I was the same this last week....didn't do much at all and ate too much and of things I shouldn't eat.

Nothing to do about it now except move on and try to do better starting tomorrow.

Ive just been in a funk. :(

5. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Chrissy Cross
    Ah, so! Wondered about your being such a stranger lately! What might we do to offer encouragement?
    Frank

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks for caring.....just one of those things...no reason really to be down but I have been...feeling better though because I'm posting...

:)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Good luck, @Kitty Carmel . Hang in there. I think we all slip and fall sometimes.
    @Chrissy Cross , I'm glad you are feeling better. Maybe you and I need to take a vacation to some fantastic place where calories don't count. :D

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Sounds good! :)

Too good, lol.

9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, we could chase the handsome, eligible men and burn off the calories. But I don't think they would run too fast to get away from us. Now what???????

10. Kitty Carmel

Registered

Thanks for your support everyone. I'm off to work this weekend and then Monday hope to get back on track. Walking. No junk food!

I'm sorry you have been feeling a little in a funk @Chrissy Cross I sure know that feeling.

I don't think we have a seniors only fitness place in my town. I can look into it. We do get plenty of seniors and I have heard people mention the "Silver Sneakers" plan. I think Medicare pays the gym membership or something.

The gym has a nice lap pool, two therapy pools (one is large but it's heated too warm for me) and a couple of kiddie pools. Everything will be crowded in the summer.

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I just got Silver Sneakers a few weeks ago in the mail but haven't been motivated enough to take a look...then of course I get depressed. :(

I did walk today though...so that's a start. :)

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Kitty Carmel

Registered

I do too @Chrissy Cross It's no fun and it does affect you. I know.

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Ours is the Silver and Fit, which is basically the same thing. Some insurance covers one and some insurance covers the other. Our Medicare Advantage pays about half of our fitness membership; so that helps to keep it affordable for us to go there.
    Bobby and I both really enjoy our time spent at the fitness center; so I am glad that it is part of our insurance plan.

Chrissy Cross and Kitty Carmel like this.
  14. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Kitty.....
    if I can make one suggestion...... Please consider it ......

DRINK LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER EACH AND EVERY DAY......
    That's water and not pop or coffee or tea or any other liquid.... WATER....

This will be a good start to flush out your system....

Yvonne Smith and Frank Sanoica like this.
  15. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Steve North
    Sound advice, so long as the water is "good". Our tap water here has a hardness of 38 Grains, which represents about 700 parts per million, hardness only including Calcium and Magnesium ions. Total Dissolved Solids present at 1700 parts per million, so 1000 ppm are other ions, which may be quite harmful if they are Arsenic, Mercury, Chromium, etc. Of course, the quality is monitored periodically, but reports issued to users only annually. The water source is deep wells, 1 mile from our home.

I like distilled water, and drink it when I have it on hand. Many will say that is harmful.
    Frank

Yvonne Smith likes this.