Bent Cans With Many Orders

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Marie Mallery, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

We have been ordering from Amazon. Last TWO orders of salmon had mostly bent cans. I worry about botulism. Anyone else having this problem? Meat is costly and we can make 6 meals or more off one can of salmon if we put 3 eggs, large onion and 1/2cup flour making patties.
    Just got order today most are bent.
    I do remember my friend's dad use to go to 'bent can goods store'.They all lived but some cans can be deadly, but we paqid lots of money for 24 cans Chicken of the Sea Wild Caught red salmon.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Bent cans are a frustration, and you might want to take a picture and call amazon on the customer service number. As long as the cans didn’t actually come open, the salmon should still be good, but amazon will probably replace them for you.
    I had some cans of tuna from Sam’s Club that arrived partially smashed in, but none were actually broken open. I contacted Sam’s customer service, and then sent me a replacement for the dented cans.
    The worst part is trying to get some of the dented cans open, since you can’t always still use a can opener on them. (I let Mr. Bobby deal with those kinds of cans)

Sometimes, amazon needs a photo of the damaged goods, but whenever I have called their customer service people, they have always made things right for me.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Bent is different than bulging...or split.

I recently had a couple of cans of chili that were slightly swollen, and research said that they were likely safe...but I forget what there was specifically about that food item that presented a reduced level of concern.

That being said,if you're paying for new...

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

If you must eat a damaged can, heat it or microwave it thoroughly. I believe it is 10 minutes above the boiling point of water, but you can look it up. If you cannot heat it, throw it away if there is any doubt. It is always safer to discard anything in question, but heating a food completely will kill botulism bacteria and denature the toxin, but will NOT kill the spores, so it must be consumed soon after heating and not stored unless frozen.

Marie Mallery and Al Amoling like this.