Bernie Sanders Student Debt Cancellation Plan

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Bob Kirk, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Bob Kirk

Bob Kirk Veteran Member
    Registered

Bernie Sanders unveils sweeping student debt cancellation plan

The Associated Press, citing materials detailing the plan, reported that it would save the average borrower about $3,000 a year. Sanders proposes that the federal government foot the entire bill with proceeds stemming from a proposed tax on Wall Street aimed at raising $2.4 trillion over 10 years.

“We bailed out Wall Street in 2008,” the senator tweeted early Monday morning. “It’s time to tax Wall Street’s greed to help the American people.”

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/sanders-student-loan-cancel-debt-114409170.html

Sanders fails to recognize The evidence is overwhelming that Clinton was the architect of the financial disaster that wiped out trillions of dollars in household wealth. Under his National Homeownership Strategy, Clinton took more than 100 executive actions to pry bank lending windows wide open.

Through executive order, he marshaled 10 federal agencies under a little-known task force to enforce new "flexible" mortgage underwriting guidelines to boost low-income and minority home ownership.

For the first time, banks were ordered to qualify low-income borrowers with spotty credit. The 1994 policy planted the seeds of the mortgage crisis, as lenders eventually abandoned prudent underwriting altogether.

The next year, Clinton set quotas for lending in high-risk neighborhoods under an overhauled Community Reinvestment Act, while adding several hundred bank examiners to enforce the tougher CRA rules. Banks that came up short had expansion plans put on hold — a slow death sentence in an era of bank mergers and acquisitions.

For the first time, CRA ratings were made public, egging on ACORN and other radical inner-city groups, which used the reports to extort banks for $6 trillion in subprime loan set-asides by 2008.

When bankers resisted being saddled with so many risky loans, Clinton tapped Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to take them off their books, while freeing bankers to originate more of the political loans. He had the Department of Housing and Urban Development nearly double Fannie's and Freddie's quotas for underwriting "affordable" loans, which remained in force throughout the 2000s.

When the mortgage giants pushed back, complaining that it would be hard to meet the higher targets, Clinton pushed them to load up on subprime loans, while authorizing Fannie and Freddie for the first time to buy subprime securities to earn credits toward the HUD goals. The mortgage giants complied to their great detriment.

So Clinton was also responsible for scrutinizing these loans which combined bad loans with good loans in packages that were sold to Wall Street institutions, including insurance companies. The mix of these junk loans made it impossible for investors to tell good ones from bad, and the markets eventually seized up and crashed.
    “We bailed out Wall Street in 2008,” the senator tweeted early Monday morning. “It’s time to tax Wall Street’s greed to help the American people.”

Bernie Sanders is appealing to the retarded that don't bother to understand the basis for the bailout. Greed is a nice trigger word to misdirect the true reason for the bailout.

It would be interesting to have a independent study done to see how many college graduates got degrees in useless career paths & how much of the student loan debt is attributed to that as a group working at jobs having nothing to do with what they took for courses,

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Free college is worth about as much as you've paid for it.

Faye Fox, Bess Barber and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My head is spinning, trying to keep up with the Democratic candidates promises of "FREE!!!" stuff. Beto wants wealthy people to pay for wars. :rolleyes: I'll be glad when the herd is thinned so I can focus my disdain on a single individual.

4. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

My daughter is an avid Bernie Sanders supporter. She thinks he's amazing. She is also a flat earth believer.
    So, I will leave it there. I can tell a candidate by the people who choose to support them. :p

(Just wanted to add she is also a wonderful daughter.)

Faye Fox, Emma Smith and Tom Galty like this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I think that there is something to the Flat Earth idea, but I am definitely NOT a Sanders supporter, and most of the FE people are not supportive of his policies, as far as what I have seen.
    (More about this in the conspiracy section if you want to check it out, @Bess Barber )

Bobby Cole and Bess Barber like this.
  6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

2.4 trillion dollars will buy a lot of votes.

Faye Fox and Bess Barber like this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Quoted from another forum, and right on the mark IMO...

"Here is the price tag for democrat programs. Reparations 17 trillion. Healthcare - 38 trillion. Free college - 10 trillion. We currently have 23 trillion in debt. Where is all this money coming from? It’s not the rich because they only have about 4 trillion. And that’s if you confiscate their wealth, then they have nothing else to give. Any of these programs would ruin this country. No democrat should be in office. All I hear from them is tax and spend. We need to reduce spending and cut programs, but they never talk about that. The politics of pandering using taxpayer money is all democrats know to do."--Bill P.

Faye Fox, Bobby Cole and Bess Barber like this.
  8. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

"MISCAPTIONED"

That is Bernie Sanders, and he was arrested for protesting, however...

"At the University of Chicago, [Sanders] was a leader of the Congress of Racial Equality [CORE], a major civil rights group. ... In the early 1960's, protests over segregation in the Englewood area raged over mobile classrooms dubbed “Willis Wagons,” named for then-Chicago Schools Superintendent Benjamin Willis. Critics charged that the trailers kept black children in the area instead of sending them to white schools."

Bess Barber and Lulu Moppet like this.
  9. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

"The photograph was taken at a South Side protest in Chicago in 1963, when Sanders was 21 years old. According to the Chicago Tribune, Sanders was charged with resisting arrest in connection with a protest against segregation in area schools, not for “throwing eggs at black civil rights protesters..............
    At the University of Chicago, [Sanders] was a leader of the Congress of Racial Equality [CORE], a major civil rights group. News accounts from the time had Sanders leading protests over racial inequality."
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bernie-sanders-throwing-eggs/

I love you Yvonne, but spreading that lie is shameful. BTW, I am not backing Bernie, so there's no conflict of interest on my part. Bernie is a neighborhood boy, I know exactly where he lived and grew up and the folks who populated that area and still do. I know exactly the ideals he was taught and the people who nurtured them.

I really do love Yvonne, can't say that often enough. Hal, she's the one I'd have that cup of coffee with. Or tea. Just not booze. No can do.

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I searched to find more information about this photo, and some of the articles said he was protesting segregation, and some said he was protesting de-segregation.
    Most of the information online is slanted either totally one sided one way or the other. I will remove the post, and apologize for not checking closer, but the places that I read about this all said it was verified.

Coffee or tea will suit me just fine, too, @Lulu Moppet !

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

It's so hard to tell these days isn't it? I saw the same article. My only reason for questioning it being real is that he is Jewish and historically, they don't have prejudices against any race....but Arabs. :D

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Bob Kirk

Bob Kirk Veteran Member
    Registered

Aha !! Must have been early version of fake news.

13. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

My Dad was a Flat-Earth believer, until I pointed out the curvature of the horizon one day at a Pacific Ocean seashore.

Hal

Bess Barber likes this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Bess Barber likes this.
  15. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

@Beth Gallagher I wonder if this will cause him to pull out as a candidate? It's a much too stressful job for someone with heart issues....and he is quite a bit older than the rest of the candidates.