Best Computer

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Silvia Benoit, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

Best computer

I need a new "puter". The HDMI port in mine is gone and the BRG cable doesn't provide enough brIghtness. Suggestions, please

John Nopales likes this.
  2. Bibbi Wright

Bibbi Wright Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well we changed from PC to Mac ten years ago and wouldn't change back.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've had too many desk and laptops since 1992 to count, but I've had the best luck with Dells.

I bought my first LT in 2005 and it was a Dell. I thought all LTs were like that but after I wore the keyboard out in about 4 years and bought a different brand, I found out they weren't. I've had probably a half dozen since and none of them have measured up to the Dell.

I bought a used Dell DT from a buddy for my shop, where it got used quite a bit (ran a CNC machine). That thing just ran and ran with no problems. I kept waiting for a crash or something but it never happened. So I bought a new Dell in January 2019 (which is as fast as lightning) and kept the old Dell in the house for a spare.

I've had an ASUS laptop for two years now and I don't like it for numerous reasons.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Mine is a Dell too,hubbys is a Acer Chrome and it seems ok.
    I ordered a new one its an HP but its Windows 10 and I am use to Windows 7.So I don't use it.

5. John Nopales

John Nopales Well-Known Member
    Registered

I recently upgraded my generic computer that I put together a couple of decades ago with a new AMD Athlon 3200g CPU, ASUS motherboard and Crucial Ballistix 3200 memory for $270, plus an Adata 256gb solid state drive for $35, the first upgrade for 10 years.

My 15 year old 19" monitor and 25 year old membrane keyboard still work fine.
    I like having an efficient system that performs well while using as little energy as possible.
    My operating system is Linux Mint 19.3 XFCE, which is free to download, or $11 on USB from Ebay.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Sometimes the brand and cost can depend on how much a person uses their computer. Why buy an expensive one if not using it much, but on the other hand, both of our computers cost over $1000 and are used on a daily basis (and not just for e-mails or forum use).

Both our desktop and laptop are a Dell. Both work very nicely.

7. Marie Mallery

Registered

:eek: May as well ask me to put the space modual together.

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Me, too, @Marie Mallery !
    I appreciate that people can understand how to do all of that, but for me, if it works and is easy to use, that is what is important. When iPads first came out, my daughter gave me one. I fell in love with the iPad, and have not used a regular computer since then.
    I do have a Dell XPS-18 that I can use if I have to do something that needs to be done on an actual computer; but it only gets turned on a few times a year, and everything else is done with my iPad and the Apple Smart Keyboard, which makes it like a laptop.
    An iPad is definitely my recommendation, but probably not what Silvia is looking for since she wants a desktop, it sounds like.

John Nopales and Marie Mallery like this.
  9. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

The only “puter” experience I have is with Microsoft and HP. My HP laptop with Win 8.1 has an unusual problem where the top border on the screen changes color and the thing freezes. Clicking off to the side gets things back to normal. I’m ready to get away from HP and Microsoft. I wonder if Apple is such a big departure from Microsoft that the learning curve is steep.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Funny, but there are those that don't completely understand how a computer works or what to look for in a new one. Just like how their new iPhone works. I'm still learning about our iPhone 12 and just how of camera and video camera it has.

Actually, when it comes to a computer, my wife picked out the laptop she wanted and the knew exactly what she wanted.

11. Marie Mallery

Registered

I have problems with using basic controls at times,much lessthe major ones. I have tried to use spell check off and on for years but it causes me more problems in other ways so I just gave it up and don't us it.

12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've always liked Lenovos. I used to assemble my own desktops and transitioned to laptops through an Employee Purchase program at a job years ago...Lenovo is what they offered and I've stuck with them ever since, only upgrading when the new Microsoft operating systems required newer technology.

13. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

Mine is a Dell as well and is 8 years old. Now, they told the Lenovo is very good; Iove the fact is thin an small.

14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It all depends on your knowledge of computers and what you plan to use it for. If it is just for posting to social media and surfing the net, either a PC or an Apple product should work fine. When I did more work with computers, it was the people who didn't want to do much with their computers that went to Apple products, as they were reliable, easy to learn, and had really good graphics. Brands of PCs differ in reliability, so you will have to survey people in your area to see if anyone has a preference based on support and service. I spent time on mainframes and instruments, so I use PCs exclusively now, and my sorties into the world of Apple haven't been good. Many older folks, especially women, like Apple products for the integration with phone and tablets and the graphics display pictures well.

15. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Laptop? I had a Lenovo a couple of LTs ago -- it was ok. My last one before this current ASUS was an HP -- after about two years the frame around the screen came unglued and a corner kept popping out. I re-glued it but it didn't hold. Still ran ok but I couldn't close the lid.

None of them were as good as my original Dell LT. :D