Bicycle Riding/touring

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Denise Evans, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Anyone ever do this, either just ride often, or take longer "tour" type rides? Camping along the way, or motels?

I am buying a bike, again, on Wednesday. That's the plan. I may have to order it if it's not "in store" at our Big 5. Just a simple bike to start with as I haven't ridden much. Plus, I will have to work up to any longer rides of course.

I was reading lastnight about saddles/bike-seats, and it says the softer ones aren't the best for you. Not sure how true that article was, but I'm going to check with some more research today. The article said the typical seats are better because they fit better to your body, better support and comfort after a few days/week of riding.

My Uncle took of bicycling in his 70s and toured most of the West Coast, San Juans, Canada, and then into some other States as well. I want to try and get a history of his tours. He amazed the whole family because after he retired, he just up and bought a bike, had some friends that were also into it, and went!! I remember on an early ride of his, he road over the Highway 42 in Oregon from Roseburg to Coos Bay. We were all just amazed. About 70 miles, maybe a bit more.

Love to hear your stories if you've done this, it's my plan to follow in my Uncles bike-path (footsteps) ;)

Tim Burr likes this.
  2. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Good for you! Riding is one of my great pleasures. Don't do any long rides anymore, but it is a great way to stay fit.
    My suggestion is to maybe go to a bike forum and just read some of the questions others have already asked, you don't have to join one.
    As far as saddles, I agree the shape is very important. Read up on tire/tube changing and basic 'on-the-road repairs. Not very hard, just need the knowledge mostly.
    Here a couple of mine, a Trek mountain bike and my " Time machine " a blue 1979 Schwinn Caliente ( like a Varsity ) because when I ride it, I sometimes feel like I'm in my 20's again.:)
    Good luck, and feel free to ask questions, I might be able to help.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Denise Evans likes this.
  3. Denise Evans

Registered

Oh wonderful Tim!! So happy to know there is someone here! I joined bikeforums.net yesterday.

I will ask away then when more things come up. I have a lot to learn about maintenance/changing a tube/repairing so yes, lots to learn. I am way excited though. It's sort of giving me more reason to get up in the a.m.!! You don't think it's too late to start at 63 do you? I've been working out a lot in the last year, just walking, and weights (mostly body weight, stretch bands etc.)

4. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm a member of bikeforums.net, good info there.
    As with any new undertaking, take it easy at the start.
    Don't think that too old and early morning rides, you get to see the world wake up. My favorite time to ride.
    Go for It !

Denise Evans likes this.
  5. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

A very good site to check out is sheldonbrown.com explains things in an easy going style. My 'go to' site.
    Read the 'beginners' section on the main page.

Denise Evans likes this.
  6. Denise Evans

Registered

I will be @Tim Burr after Wednesday, it will be a nice change from just walking. I've loved that but I want to go further faster now, lol;) I've learned to listen to my body, eat right, etc. I think I'll do fine. No major health issues to hold me back. Not going to worry, just one day at a time;) I do realize I'll need to learn to pack some weight as I get on with it. I know me, any road-trips, certain things I have to have with me, lol:)

Tim Burr likes this.
  7. Denise Evans

Registered

I'm going to just keep my eye out for things I'll need, little things along the way, like on Craigslist, or even garage sales. New stuff is what I want, but we'll see how much things cost. I need clothing that sheds water, I know that. I don't plan to stop riding through the seasons.

Tim Burr likes this.
  8. Denise Evans

Registered

Got is Tim!!

Tim Burr likes this.
  9. Denise Evans

Registered

OH man, looks good, the sheldonbrown site Tim!! Can't wait to read more;) after breakfast:) denise

10. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Thought it would help. Like I posted, it is the first place I go to if I'm having a problem or just to expand my knowledge.

11. Denise Evans

Registered

I so hope to meet others that will maybe be more at my level (beginner rides) so I don't have to go alone. I will, around town is no worry, but there are beautiful areas/paths a little out of town, like at our Lake Earl. I get a little nervous being out where there isn't anyone else around. I won't go there in fact. But I hear there is quite a bit of activity around the lake, so I'll check it out;)

What part of the world are you in? Big city, small. Have you ridden on any big rides you could share with me about? I am curious what it would cost to go just say, from Brookings Oregon (starting 25 miles South of there) to Astoria Oregon. Wow, what an amazing ride that would be. Love to hear some stories if you have time Tim;)

Joe Riley likes this.
  12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We had thought about getting a couple of 10-speeds, but decided that having a power boat, going to a gun/rifle range and playing the Wii Game would be enough exercise for us.

A guy in our apt. complex bought a nice bike to ride to work (DL was suspended and he's waiting to get it back). He rides it to work, but had to put lights on both wheel rims (there are light sets now made to fit around a bicycle tire rim), so he wouldn't get hit by a car. Before he put on the lights, he almost got hit twice. In fact, after he put them on, a lady darn near hit him. He stopped riding and the lady pulled over to make sure he was ok. She told him, "sorry, I was looking at my iPhone and didn't see you".

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My oldest brother, who is maybe twelve years older than me, has biked from Michigan to Colorado and back, from Michigan to the southern part of Texas and back, to Florida, Maine, and Alaska, on different trips, most of them after he had reached the age of fifty. His first long distance trip was to Colorado and he was younger then. He was teaching so he had summers off. He had four kids, two boys and two girls. He asked them if anyone wanted to go for a bike ride. Only the younger boy did. They ended up biking to Colorado and back, after which the others were jealous because he only took one of them. He said, "I asked if anyone wanted to go on a bike ride and Mike the only one who wanted to go."

I went for a bike ride with him once, and my butt started hurting when I could still turn around and see the house behind me,

Joe Riley and Denise Evans like this.
  15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I believe that if he is caught riding his bike under the influence, he can still be ticketed. I know that was the case where a guy drove his riding mower into town.