Blood Pressure And Dentist Visit

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Marie Mallery, Apr 6, 2022.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Had 3 teeth pulled last Thursday and one perforated my sinus cavity, said may heal in 4 to 6 weeks.
    I had a dentist highjack my front teeth in 1984 because I had good dental insurance which paid very well. So for the amount of about $2000 he capped all 4 perfect front teeth.Had trouble every since I use to think of how I could pay that SOB back and not get caught! He may as well stole a finger or toe, less trouble.
    Also had on bridge so that means 6 teeth they turned into knubs.
    So I decided to pull all of them in case tooth goes bad and can't see a dentist,which in todays world it is very possible.

Anyone here had a sinus perforated from extraction?

Alan Sidlo likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Nope never had a perforated sinus, but I have encountered a corrupt dentist. One of my sons developed a abscessed tooth shortly after we moved in from the bush. We called and called trying to find a dentist who would address the issue and none could be found until we contacted a dentist who himself had recently moved into the area and joined an established practice. He agreed to address the abscessed tooth and pulled it in the office. Our entire family continued to see this dentist for a year or so. He built a fancy new office with all kinds of bells and whistles. You could watch videos while he worked on your teeth, etc., and he had a lot of fancy new equipment. His practice changed. He began finding cavities that weren't there and issues to be addressed that had not existed before. He would put in a filling then decide it needed to be replaced a year later. Needless to say, we decided he had to pay for his fancy new office and was performing unnecessary work on those who could afford to pay for it. We left him and never returned.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You can tell how good dentists are in general when each subsequent one looks in your mouth and overtly or otherwise says "Who did that?" I point out "You realize the next guy is gonna say the exact same thing about any work that you do."

Marie: I've never had such a thing (I don't even want to type the words...it feels too painful.) I hope you're better soon.

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Registered

Well Don guess we look extravagant. :p

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Registered

:),funny John. This is day 7 and although black eye gone ,the neck and cheek bruise is still there and looking bigger. I went to O.S. today and he said that's normal for sinus perforation.
    So stitches will stay in another TWO weeks! Thanks for the well wishes.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. Alan Sidlo

Alan Sidlo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

had trouble equalizing the pressure in my ears after self-extracting a molar. it eventually closed up but yeah, you have to be careful because these can get seriously infected.

Don Alaska and Marie Mallery like this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thanks Alan for heads up, 'pun intended '. I'm being careful as i can and today doc said its looking good.

Alan Sidlo likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow, that sounds extremely unpleasant, Marie. Hope it heals well, and soon.

I'm lucky in that I have reached "senior citizenship" and have never had a single tooth pulled, not even wisdom teeth.

9. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thank you Beth and yes your fortunate to not have dental problems.
    I'll be glad when mine are over too. I was wondering if I should keep the bottom since I'm sure top dentures will wear on them?:confused:

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I wish I could tell you, Marie. I know that my sister decided to have all her teeth pulled for dentures a few years ago and she has had a miserable time of it ever since. Will your top plate be the type that's fixed with posts in your mouth or the removable type?

Marie Mallery likes this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Registered

Removable, I'm not brave enough for those others.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Last Wednesday, a crown dropped off my wife's one upper took, while she was eating. The crown has been on the tooth for a long time. Luckily, she was able to feel it drop off and grab it before swallowing. Put it in a plastic storage bag. Very little pain involved.

Got ahold of local dentist and seen him this last Saturday AM. After telling her how much a new crown would cost to make the new crown ($1,050), his Assisted took her BP. The cost much have sent her BP sky high, it was 188/100! The Dr. told her that, unless he got approval from her PCP, he couldn't do the procedure until her BP comes down. Currently, she is on no BP medicine. She was in the exam room for 1 1/2 hours, the dentist put temporary cement on the crown and put it back.

We contacted her PCP yesterday (Sunday) thru an online message center and will wait to see what he says. Don't know if he will contact the dentist and approve the crown replacement or if she will have to wait and see him first. She has an appointment with him this coming Friday.

Guess some dentists are now taking a patients BP as a precaution, due to liability.

Kate Ellery likes this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The concern of blood pressure lies directly with the types of medication that a dentist works with. If you wife has high blood pressure, chances are the types of medication the dentist will use will raise her BP even higher.

I would rather the dentist take that extra step than have to spend the next few weeks in a hospital because of a heart attack, stroke or aneurism.

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I typically have 2 dental cleanings a year and my hygienist has taken my blood pressure for as long as I can remember... at least 20 years or longer since I have used this dentist. No medication involved in cleaning my teeth but they keep a record of my blood pressure at every visit.

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yeah, I know, @Cody Fousnaugh. That stuff gets hugely expensive. I recently upgraded my Advantage Plan to one that pays about half of it.