Buying Toys For Your Pets

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Marie Mallery, Mar 28, 2023.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Do any of you buy toys for your pets?
    We buy cheap Dollar Store stuffe animals for some of our dogs, but Leo is not one of them. Her had stuffing all over the back yards, but Foxy still has her little monkey .She has let it survive for a couple months now, which is surprising since she is so spastic.
    Leo gets tough toys he likes his rope he can't destroy and his wheel with rope.
    Our little Becky loved her little toys and took care of them.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Some dogs like toys and some don’t, and some just think that a toy is something that they are supposed to chew up and destroy. If all the dog is going to do is shred the toy, then they might as well just have some kind of a rawhide chew, or something that is designed for the dog to chew on.
    My Chipper loved toys, and he would drag or carry them around with him, but he never chewed on the toy. We got him a little squeaky squirrel when he was a puppy, and he took that squirrel to bed with him for the rest of his life.

His favorite toy was the kind that have a battery and talk, like his Elmo doll. Chipper would pounce on Elmo with his front feet so that he could listen to Elmo say “Elmo loves you” and other things he was programmed to do.
    I would go to the thrift store and look through the toys for something new for Chipper, and he would be waiting out in the pickup for me to bring him something.
    He was just like a little kid, bouncing around and squealing , excited for his new toy. If I didn’t find one, then he would curl up sadly and put his nose under his tail all the way back home.

This is Chipper with his Pluto toy, and he is waiting for me to make it jump and bark at him.

0D7C3B1F-35A8-4D8E-82D9-EEA1F93A5B62.jpeg

Beth Gallagher and Marie Mallery like this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Registered

So cute ,pets do bring up much joy. And we try them first on chew toys then some will graduate to soft ones. Leo is probably not one who will.
    We can't afford those expensive rawhide bones but do buy the beef nones in meat Iseles at grocery. Also heard some of the rawhide bones killed some dogs,
    Our little Becky did the same thing your little Clipper did, she would wait for us to unload grocery and if no toy or treat she would pout.

4. Marie Mallery

Registered

Warning about bones. Lóng as they are NOT cooked vet said they are fine but NEVER give a dog or cat cooked bones.

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My little Harry also loved his toys. He had a toy box downstairs in the den, and he'd sift through it to find the exact toy he wanted. When he died we buried him in a box with his little yellow blanket and his favorite toy. He had the blanket since he was a puppy and would drag it around when he got sleepy. I miss that little dog so much.

Like Yvonne's Chipper, Harry always expected a toy when he saw any Walmart bags coming in the house and was just like a child waiting to see what he got. Toys with a squeaker were his absolute favorite, but he could drive us nuts with those. :D

Yvonne Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Registered

Foxy has her Rabbit [ I thought it was a monkey, but it's a rabbit.] guarding the side porch door Jake is working on and her turtle guarding the other porch door, this dog is a trip!

7. Marie Mallery

Registered

LOL, thye do like the noisy ones. Almost as bad as a kid learning to play a horn or the drums:eek:.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My cats have a bunch of cat toys but, other than knocking them to the floor if I put them up on one of the cat trees, they don't often play with the cat toys. They prefer bottle caps, twist ties, and rubber bands. Although we both do our best not to leave twist ties or rubber bands where they can get at them, they still end up with them.

Interactive cat toys, such as Da Bird, laser toys, and other ones that involve me, they like, though, although it's difficult because Ella gets angry when I play with Bubba so it sometimes turns into a cat fight. Usually, I'll play with Bubba while Ella is in the library, and I'll play with Ella when Bubba is on another floor of the house. Once in a while, they'll take turns but usually not.

Krystal Shay and Marie Mallery like this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Registered

Some things don't agree with cats stomachs like Christmas tinsel, that cost us $400.00 back in the 80s for vet removing them and vet er.
    But cats are mostly less prone to accidents as dogs. I really miss our cats. Our cats liked us to drag balls or objects on the floor with string.

10. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We spoil our kitties, or try to. We have one room loaded with climbing towers and it has a box where we keep their toys. It’s always so cute when they go rooting around in there, looking for something specific.

11. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Cat trees/condos, scratching posts, heated beds, toys, and more toys. I think my cat has more stuff than we do!:D

Marie Mallery and Yvonne Smith like this.