Came Down With Bad Cold

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Richard Whiting, Jun 1, 2023.

1. Richard Whiting

Richard Whiting Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

5 days ago, I came down with a very bad cold. It started out with a red, raw, scratchy throat and a watery runny nose. Then 2 days ago it moved into my lungs and I now cough up thick mucus. However, NO fever at all.

All that lung mucus is making it difficult to breathe. Being in Mexico, I don't have access to the same OTC meds as I would in the U.S. All I have at home is Vicks Vapo-Rub and some throat lozenges.

The sore throat has cleared up and feels fine now. But, the lung congestion is a problem.

Does anyone know of any good home remedies for lung congestion ?

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Sometimes steam is helpful to break up congestion. Heat a pot of water to a gentle boil where it's steaming, then put a towel over your head and hold it over the pot to trap the steam. (Hope that explanation makes sense.) You want to "tent" the towel so that you breathe in the steam but don't get too close to the hot pot and burn yourself. If you are unsteady on your feet that might be too dangerous.

If you can stand in a hot shower for a while that might help, too. Hope you feel better soon.

Richard Whiting and Don Alaska like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Make sure you stay hydrated with water, broth, hot tea, etc. That will keep the mucus thinned out.

I'm sorry you're not feeling well, buddy.

Richard Whiting and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Richard Whiting

Registered

Yes, your explanation about "tenting" makes perfect sense. Thank you.

5. Richard Whiting

Registered

Thank you. I'll try that.

6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Together with the above, 4-5 grams of vitamin C with B complex daily not only helps with restoration but as a preventative as well.

Also, I know it won’t help a bit now because it takes so long to get but I recently discovered a nasal spray sold on Amazon called “Lung”.
    The two main ingredients are Loquat leaf and Siraitia grosvenarii (monk fruit) and the stuff Works to clean up the sinus’s and the pulmonary system.

My sinus’s have been screwed up since I was a kid and the stuff does indeed clear out the blockages and they stay that way for hours.
    It’s inexpensive (about $20 for 4 units) and totally herbal but it takes a month to get it.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Here is something that you probably can get in Mexico, @Richard Whiting ….. cayenne . When I was a kid and if I got a cold (which seldom happened), my mom would boil water add a spoonful of cayenne, and stir it in, then she did the tent thing with a towel over my head, and I had to breathe and inhale the cayenne fumes. (closing your eyes helps)
    If mullein grows in Mexico near you, that is another simple home remedy that many people use. You can use either fresh or dry leaves and make a tea from the leaves, or some people just smoke the mullein leaves for their beneficial effect on the lungs.
    https://thelostherbs.com/mullein/

Another thing that is easy to use to help clean out your nose and sinuses, is hydrogen peroxide.
    It will burn like crazy, so you might want to dilute it with water if necessary ! You can either spray it into your nostrils or use an eyedropper, whichever works best for you.
    Leave it a few minutes (breathe through your mouth), and then blow your nose and you will get lots of gunk out.
    Also, put a few drops of the peroxide into your ears, one at a time.
    Best to lie down on one side, drops in the ear, let it sit and fizzle a few minutes, then use a tissue or washcloth because it will drain out. Lie on the other side and do the same thing.
    The reason is that when you have a cold, there is also infection in your ears, because of the ear/nose/throat connection.

8. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

When I had the same thing in Jan-Feb, I tested positive for COVID multiple times. I never got a fever either but the cough was pretty bad at times and lingered for a few weeks. I also never lost my sense of taste or smell but I did notice a metallic taste on a couple days.

Richard Whiting likes this.
  9. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

When I had Covid 4 months ago, I also had congestion & a cough that lingered for 4 days. I found that eating hot Salsa loosened up everything quickly & sped up the process. Also, those little green hot chili peppers work even better; it just takes one or two.
    I heard about that remedy years ago. I can't believe how well it works.

Yvonne Smith and Richard Whiting like this.
  10. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

LOL, agree. If it makes your scalp sweat, good chance it will loosen up your airways!

11. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

An hour after eating one of those peppers, I coughed up lotsa...............stuff.

12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Serranos?

I like hot mustard for loosening things up, but I bet those peppers would work just as well..

Richard Whiting and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

As well as some of the things suggested above, it can help to gargle with warm salt water at night, as well as snorting some of it into each nostril. That last part is harsh but it will clear your nose out for a while.

Yvonne Smith and Richard Whiting like this.
  14. Richard Whiting

Registered

The sore throat phase has passed. I still do have plenty of nasal congestion, but the lung congestion is somewhat better.

15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Are you trying any of the suggestions people have given you to help recover from your cold, @Richard Whiting ?