Can I Buy A Good Camera For $200 +/-?

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by Steven Stanick, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Steven Stanick

Steven Stanick Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

As a beginner and a non-techie I would like to buy a descent camera just for fun.

Marie Mallery and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Tom Dinning

Tom Dinning Active Member
    Registered

If you have a smart phone that’s a good start.
    There are no controls to worry about and the newer models (5 years) take pretty good pictures.
    If you have a computer or tablet you can upload the photos and edit them on a larger screen.
    I’m not advocating any brand. They are all much of a muchness.
    But having the same brand of phone, computer tablet is an advantage.
    If you use Google or Apple they have cloud space for free (limited). This means you can shift them off the phone to save space and still access them when you want to.
    As for price, you won’t get much for $200. I’m in Australia and I can’t imagine the prices to be all that different. Looking at something compact, easy to use, durable and functional, the price probably starts at $400.

I use all Fuji cameras at the moment. I used to have Nikon but they got too bulky for my arthritic hands. My favourite go anywhere camera that fits in my handbag other than my phone is an old Nikon V3 but they are no longer available.
    I’ve used one of these and it’s easy to use and light. The price is in $AU.

https://www.camera-warehouse.com.au/panasonic-lumix-tz95d-silver-digital-compact-camera

if you’ve not used a digital camera before the settings can be daunting and confusing.

your best bet is to visit a camera store and tell them you story, try a few out, bargain with them.

The worry for amateurs is they think they need a ‘good’ camera to take good pictures. that means the more toys they have the better they will be. As they learn they will realise that their favourite pictures could have been recorded on a pin hole camera made from a shoe box, which is what I get my students to start with.
    I wouldn’t suggest that for you though.

here’s a place you might get some ideas from as to iPhone photos. There’s lots of similar sights. Do a search.
    Enjoy what you do, learn by doing, learn from others, keep it within your understanding.

https://iphonephotographyschool.com/iphone-photography-tips/
    cheers

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

When you have in mind what you want, pawn shops are a good source for decent deals and sometimes one can even negotiate the price.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't know of any digital camera these days that takes bad pictures.

5. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Marie Mallery likes this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

As those who seen our pictures, we sure could use a new camera but don't want something I have trouble using.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I have not even had (or wanted ) a camera since I got my first iPhone. I gave away the digital camera that I had at the time, and only use the phone for any pictures I want to take.
    Since I only want to take pictures of mainly things that I want to save and not as a photography hobby, the phone camera works perfect for me. I never had my camera along with me when I went somewhere , unless the purpose of the trip was to take pictures; but the phone goes everywhere with me, and is always there if I see something that I want to photograph.

Bobby Cole and Marie Mallery like this.
  8. Marie Mallery

Registered

Jake needs to clear our pictures from phone. I don't use it its too small for me to see. But if he gets it ready I can maybe.
    Will it take pictures outside like, landscapes, trails and pastures? Most of our [pictures are outside.

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I have no idea about your phone, @Marie Mallery . I take pictures anywhere with my iphone, and it even works in the dark with the built in flash. Once I take the picture, then it is also on my ipads, so I can do any cropping or editing from the large ipad, and not on the phone.
    Here is a picture that I took with my phone of my blackberries last summer, and you can see that the detail is excellent, even with a phone camera.

Maybe look up your phone on youtube and watch a video about using the camera on the phone ?

10B38ED6-F5C9-43F2-8D1C-FDECA1D75EB2.jpeg

10. Marie Mallery

Registered

Very nice Yvonne! Learning new tricks is not easy for me now, that's why I keep it simple in the woods and related back to the primitive practices.:p Even a barbarian can chop off a vine or small tree.;)

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Tom Dinning

Tom Dinning Active Member
    Registered

My Old Man taught me how to use a camera back in 1950 or so.
    what he didn't tell me was how to create an image.
    That i learned on the way to now.
    The first part is "what attracts you and why" The why bit is probably the most important.
    O learned to listen to my inner voice. What am I thinking about? What do I want others to see?
    The voice in my head started with THINGS. My pet rabbit got the first taste of my photographing skills. I was all of 6 years old.
    When I looked at the photo I took it seemed more than just a rabbit.
    It expressed something about me and my childhood. A memory on paper. Not of my rabbit but of the time, place, emotions, experience and connections.
    its the way Ive photographed ever since.
    Anything will do as long as it takes a picture.
    As I've heard: the best camera is the one you have right now.

12. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I never thought about camera much until I was working in my first lab job. We did a lot of photomicrography, both light and electron, so I spent a fair amount of time in the darkroom (remember those?!). Anyway, after a bit it dawned on my that I already understood the basics of photography, exposure times, aperture settings, etc. So I bought my own first camera, on old Leica III f and a used broken light meter that someone gave me which only needed a simple repair, and the rest is history. I went kind of gung ho on it in short order.