Can We Afford A Turkey This Year?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Mary Stetler, Oct 31, 2022.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Like gas prices, I am kind of wondering about the price of turkeys this year.
    It used to be you got a free one if you spent a certain amount at grocery stores. I used to give the free one to the Salvation Army Thanksgiving drive.
    Then It went to a percentage off. Still worth sharing.
    Aldi's are 50% more this year. I am waiting to see if there are sales. How are they where you are?

Marie Mallery likes this.
  2. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I gave up on turkeys. I just get a couple of breasts and call it a turkey. I do miss the yummy dark meat, though.

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.
  3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

We never have turkey. We eat it at other places, we just always have something different. A rib roast , which now is way too expensive. Also we had chicken and dressings at times. Since we are moving soon and packing up, told my family , unless i can cook in a crock pot aint gonna be no Thanksgiving here.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My husband called a local BBQ joint to order a smoked turkey for Thanksgiving at his mother's house. They told him they weren't taking orders this year due to a turkey shortage! So he ordered a ham instead.

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

For just the 2 of us, I'd rather pick up turkey and dressing plates from the local Luby's cafeteria or Cracker Barrel. No cleanup!

6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

yeah that works. Besides many people overeat way too much on a holiday, a holiday does not mean pig out:p

7. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

As of two days ago, Butterball turkey at Aldi's is a 1.59 a pound. Kroger brand is 1.79 a pound.

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Oh, I love a good pig out, but I don't miss cooking and standing in the kitchen for 2 solid days. :D

Mary Stetler and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  9. Mary Stetler

Registered

:(

10. Mary Stetler

Registered

I love to make Thanksgiving dinner. I have it down to a science. It is almost the only dinner I make where everything comes out at the same time. And I make a killer pecan cranberry pie that I could eat all by myself!

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I used to love a big production dinner, but now I'm tired. And we're going to need that pie recipe, missy.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Jane Carlson

Jane Carlson Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was looking at turkeys yesterday and even the medium size ones were about $28.00 and higher. Luckily, I don't host big family dinners anymore, it's now my daughter's turn! But I do contribute a couple side dishes and some cash to offset the expense. A large elaborate dinner party is getting to be quite costly. Since we generally have about 12 people at our family dinners we need a BIG turkey!

Don Alaska and John Houlihan like this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I just checked Walmart, and their turkeys are $1.18 for the frozen ones. We have not decided whether we will get a small turkey or just roast a chicken. If we are having thanksgiving with my son and his wife, then we would probably get a turkey, unless Laura was making the turkey, and then we would probably just get the chicken.
    Unless we are having Thanksgiving with family, it will not be anything hard to do, and I will probably make the chicken and stuffing in the crockpot like we did before. It turns out really delicious, and is super easy to make.

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Registered

QUOTE="Beth Gallagher, post: 637958, member: 718"]I used to love a big production dinner, but now I'm tired. And we're going to need that pie recipe, missy.[/QUOTE]
    No real secret. Basically it is a good pecan pie recipe. I got mine from the Joy Of Cooking, long ago. To this you add a cup of halved fresh cranberries. The tartness of cranberries cuts the sweetness of the pie.
    To me, the real secret of pecan pie is to NEVER freeze it (and to eat it all alone, fresh, hinding in a closet :D)

15. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have been checking all my local stores the past week for turkey prices to see how much they are going to gouge us this year. My Wal-Mart turkeys are much higher then 1.18 a pound. :eek: I was just there and they had Butterball, which is 1.68 a pound and Honeysuckle is 1.48 a pound. All the stores might have them go on sale in a week or two, but a person might not find the size of turkey they want. It seems they only have the BIG birds left in the store when they go on sale.

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.