Can You Post Sound Files?

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Dwight Ward, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I thought it would be straightforward to upload a short mp3 to the site but I'm having no luck. Obviously I don't want the link to point back to my personal pc.
    The portion I wanted others to be able to listen to is part of a two hour audio that I didn't want ppl to have to link to and ff to the bit I wanted to upload.

2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

@Dwight Ward:. I think you treat mp3 files just like attachments. To add one to a post, click the Upload a File button below the edit screen.

The mp3 file will appear as a file name below the post. The reader must click on the file name, it will download the file to their device, and they will need any software on their device that plays movies or audio.

Like this:

Attached Files:

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Dwight Ward

Registered

I'll try but all that may be beyond me. I've had a couple of mild strokes and I'm kind of slow theses days.
    Thanks much.

John Brunner likes this.
  4. Dwight Ward

Registered

I had tried clicking on Upload A File first thing. It just wouldn't work. I just tried the same thing and it worked fine this time. Go figgur.

The audio is from William Cooper form around 1985. It's less than 2 minutes and is pretty scary.

Attached Files:

5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

WOW
    I am a prepper but can't prepare for everything I guess. It is sad that can be contemplated but there have been movies made with that theme like Mission Impossible. It is no secret Germ warfare is out there.
    I have been watching the Great Reset.
    The Federal Reserve has planned to take everything from us all since its inception--depreciating our money to zero with a little help from Nixon who removed the gold backing--thus a truly fiat currency. Taxes are just used as a control. They don't need taxes because they print or electronically produce money at will.
    The Fed has been supporting Blackrock and actually investing in the stock market this time so it can crash it at will, taking all our investment with it--in theory.
    "We will have nothing and be happy!"

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That worked fine. Clicking on the audio file downloads it and it can be played.

Dwight Ward likes this.
  7. Dwight Ward

Registered

Sounds like my ex snoring.

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I've always followed the advice to prep for the things that are most likely to befall us: job loss, whatever bad weather event is common in our region, etc. Other than that, when it comes to true End of the World stuff, there's no way I could go full-blown Off The Grid and survive. At some point you just gotta stop seeking perfect safety.

It sickens me that there are enough evil people in the world (and in power) that what is said by Cooper and what is happening today are a reality.

9. Dwight Ward

Registered

I keep enough canned and dry food, water, ammo and kerosene to last me about 30 days. If order isn't restored by then I'm not sure I'd want to survive in the hell we could make for ourselves.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Just to close the loop on this, Firefox has an option under Settings/Files and Applications that determines how each file type is managed when you click on it from within the browser:

FIle Downloads.jpg
    These are the Available Actions in Firefox:

Always ask: This brings up a dialog box asking if you want to Open the file or Save it.
    Save File: This automatically brings up Windows Explorer for you to create a File Name and select a Folder.
    Use XXX: This automatically launches the file in a Default application (In the above example, "Groove Music" is the Default application my computer has set for music files.)
    Use other...: This automatically launches the file in whatever application you choose.

Other browsers have their own options under Settings/Downloads.

11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I hate to be a buzzkill, but I don't click on sound files. Mostly because they don't auto-play and I don't want to bother with browser settings, and I don't like downloading unknown files.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Dwight Ward

Registered

... but,but,but ... if you'd select a few things in settings John is showing us they would autoplay. I'm going to do it because I want the autoplay thing. It's my understanding that an audio file can't transfer any bad things to your computer, at least not a plain .mp3 file.. Same with plain .txt files. If anyone knows differently let us know.
    (Beth is not only a buzzkill but a lazy buzzkill.) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

[​IMG]

Dwight Ward likes this.
  14. Dwight Ward

Registered

Unfortunately I have no audio files in my list at all and see no way to add new file types. Sigh.
    Dummy me was getting mad because I couldn't make your screenshot scroll from the rightside scrollbar. Sigh again.

15. Beth Gallagher

Registered