Canadian Church Burnings

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Don Alaska, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Church burnings are happening throughout Canada according to this, and the Canadian reporter is alluding to it being compared to Kristallnacht.

LINK

Sunny Bonet likes this.
  2. Sunny Bonet

Sunny Bonet Well-Known Member
    Registered

Good Lord, just when I think it can't get any worse then it is...it gets worse!! :mad: I am truly concerned about the insanity that is being encouraged by our so called leaders.

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Don Alaska is there a particular faith or church ? Regardless, does not sound good.

4. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

@Gloria Mitchell the report said it was mostly, but not exclusively, Anglican and Catholic Churches that were targeted, and it was done mostly by white activists on churches with indigenous congregations. I don't know anything other than what was in the report.

5. Brian Naginoth

Brian Naginoth Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have studied a lot of history about Christian persecution with the focus in the last century. My guess is we are seeing a Stalinist resurgence under the cover of our maple leaf (in Canada). If we are doomed to repeat history because of orchestrated intimidation and non-stop campaigns of fear, then there will be many more burnings and a considerable body count. The Christians in Stalinist Russia were hunted down like rabid wolves and exterminated. Only the ,"flavor" of Christianity that endorsed and sanctified the horrors was permitted to exist. Sad day for North America.

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It seems likely to me that these acts of arson are in retaliation towards denominations that engaged in the cruelty towards First Nations families, and especially the children who were ripped away from their indigenous communities, forbidden to speak their language or engage in their own spiritual practices or wear their cultural clothing and even hair styles, resulting in near cultural annihilation. It's long been known that children in these church run boarding schools, which were described as having squalid conditions, were abusively punished for such infractions, sometimes to the point of death, as the discovery of the many graves at several old school locations reveals.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/22/world/canada/church-fire-penticton.html

Some indigenous leaders have decried the burnings, citing that their community members have felt the comfort and sanctuary of those churches, but that there are a lot of mixed feelings about them, given the refreshed memories of a not so long ago history. the schools operated from about 1883 to 1996.

While violence never solves a problem or redresses a wrong, I can understand how angry passions can be raised over such issues and result in misguided acts of retribution.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

So if someone wronged my ancestors (whom I never met) a couple of hundred years ago, I am justified in going after their descendants? Nonsense. This isn't the result of pent-up passions. It's a drummed-up agenda. Exactly what it is, I don't know, because I don't live in Canada and haven't been following it, but I expect it's related to the same agenda that has persuaded people in the United States that they are justified in burning, looting, and killing white people because some white people had slaves more than a hundred and fifty years ago while, at the same time, wishing we were more like the English or the Spanish, who were the ones who sold the slaves to people in what was then a British colony.

8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

According to the reporter, many of the arson attacks are on churches that have indigenous congregations. Nobody is forcing them to attend those churches, so it doesn't make sense that whites are attacking native churches for revenge...if what the reporter says is true.

9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I can't read your link, as I am not a subscriber, but I got some info from a Canadian friend who said things similar to your post. I don't believe there is justification in the behavior, and many First Nation families lost their homes according to my friend when a church arson burned an entire village down.

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.
  10. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

No, @Don Alaska, I agree. I don't think there is justification either for any type of destruction. I'm just saying I can understand why some people can be pushed to that point of anger when the institutionalized, generational sins and suffering are so egregious.