Canning & Freezing

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Bumping this old thread to ask if anyone does any steam canning? Since I canned the dill pickles yesterday I've been reading about the different canning methods and I'm thinking of buying a steam canner. For a long time steam canning was not an "accepted/approved" method apparently in 2015 after a lot of testing it was determined that steam canning is as effective as water bath canning. It takes a lot less water and is much faster, since it takes forever for water to boil in the gigantic (21 quart) water bath canner. I have only ever used the water bath method.

Appropriate foods for steam canner processing include jams, chutneys, pickles, relishes, acidified tomatoes, fruits, etc — the same list of foods that exists for water-bath canning.

Have you done steam canning?

2. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don’t think I know what steam canning is? I always preserved by cold pack/hot water bath or pressure canning. Some foods I did not process at all, like pickles, pepper relish, and jelly. I canned like my grandma did.

Faye Fox likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

It's a canning method that uses steam instead of water to sterilize. The canner I'm considering looks like this and will hold 7 quart jars or 9 pints...

upload_2023-5-31_16-30-45.png
    Notice how shallow the bottom is... it just holds a couple of quarts of water. It has a gauge on top of the lid that shows when the steam is built up enough to start timing the process.

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

My local grocer has strawberries and blueberries on sale, so I'm going to make some jam. I used to make a lot of jelly/jam but I haven't in several years now, so it will be fun to make some again.

Krystal Shay and Faye Fox like this.
  5. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a very very old instruction sheet from what was The electricity trust of SA on how to preserve / bottle in the electric oven just using a shallow baking dish of water, I can vouch it works well , on the other hand is dangerous due to the person having to lift hot jars of food out of a hot oven ( way to heavy ) ,but if I had to do it that way for some reason I’d use my jar lifter to lift one at a time out of oven in preference to the tray of 8 jars I’d done at the time .

Interesting looking preserving pan @Beth Gallagher

Krystal Shay and Beth Gallagher like this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

It is interesting, Kate. I was considering buying one but since I don't really can much stuff I guess I'll just make do with my water bath canner.

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Krystal Shay

Registered

My grandparents, parents and then myself, use to can beef in the oven. It was so good!

Kate Ellery likes this.
  8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Good but dangerous. Botulism can survive any oven temp no matter how long it is in there.

9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I, too, have followed the stream canning drama. It wasn't considered safe for most of my life, but the newer steam canners with safety gauges or temperature monitors are considered safe I guess. The Amish have used steam canning for decades, but I think it is mostly for the usual high-acid stuff or high sugar stuff like jams, jellies and preserves. I think some of their steam canner held 24 jars or something like that (pints, I think). I have never steam canned myself as I don't need one more big pot to store.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  10. Krystal Shay

Registered

Yes, people gasp:eek: at that method when I mention it. But no one was ever afraid to eat it, nor ever got sick or died from it. I knew lots of folks who canned beef like this when I was growing up.

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Yep, lots of people water bath canned meat as well, and most survived, but one little error can wipe out an entire family.

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I'm going to try this ATK small-batch strawberry jam. They add a grated Granny Smith apple to the jam before cooking instead of using commercial pectin. I've always used pectin so this should be interesting. (8 minute video)

Kate Ellery and Don Alaska like this.
  13. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

You might also try the low-methoxyl pectin made from citrus. It doesn't rely on sugar to activate-it uses calcium instead. It allows more fruit flavor to come through and doesn't have to be so sweet. You can even use non-sugar sweeteners if you wish to do so. Sometimes using fruit that is not quite fully ripe can be a partial substitute for the addition of pectin as well.

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I don't use any non-sugar sweeteners and I don't mind using sugar in jams and jellies. I'm intrigued by their use of an apple in the strawberry jam so I'll see how it turns out. For the most part I stick with "tried and true," which is regular old pectin.

I have several bags of cranberries in the freezer so I plan to also make cranberry sauce and put up a few jars. If I'm going to fire up the water bath I might as well make it worth my time. :D

Krystal Shay and Don Alaska like this.
  15. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Here is the oven fruit preserving method ….it shows how long I’ve had these instructions due to oven temps being in Fahrenheit, and pints of water for tomatoes

we’ve been metric in Australia since 1966
    @Krystal Shay @Beth Gallagher

IMG_4650.jpeg

Krystal Shay and Don Alaska like this.