Centennial

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Bill Boggs, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

by James A. Michener. I attempted to read this book sometime in my past but abandoned it for whatever
    reason. I never finished it. I am reading this book again. I downloaded it from my library. The book itself is over nine hundred pages and with forward it is something over a thousand pages long. Michener was a good writer and his body of work demonstrates that thoughly. If not mistaken he wrote twenty books. I have read some of them. I'm going to add Centennial to those I have read. A thousand pages or so is not so daughtisg as it once was. I am well on my way.

Shirley Martin and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've read many of Michener's books, and love the detail he researched and included. Centennial was a favorite -- and the old mini-series is on the STARZ streaming service, too.

His book The Source was especially fascinating, and got me interested in archeology. Have fun reading, @Bill Boggs .

Bill Boggs likes this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't suppose either of you have read James Michener's book, Kent State: What Happened and Why, Random House, 1971? .I don't know many that have, including myself.

Michener spent several months living in Kent interviewing people about the May 4th shootings right after it happened. He interviewed one of my friends at the time. Heard it got pretty bad reviews. I'd like to hear someone else's opinion. I doubt it has stood the test of time either.

I know, I should read it. (I should do a lot of things.)

Bill Boggs and Shirley Martin like this.
  4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember reading Hawaii. I would give it five stars. I think I may have read others of his but Hawaii was the first one and sticks in my memory.

What is Centennial about?

5. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Wow, I never heard of that one, @Nancy Hart . Interesting. Thanks for mentioning it.

Centennial, in a nutshell, is the fictionalized history of Colorado -- the early Euro traders and trappers who interacted with Native inhabitants, Euro/eastern states pioneers westward push across the plains, cattle drives up from Texas, and into the 20th century land and water use politics that are still at issue today.

I don't remember Centennial being a real town when I went to college in Denver, but it is a thriving suburb now.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  6. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I don’t know yet. It seems to be about a fictional town in eastern Colorado and the surrounding area.

Shirley Martin likes this.