China Riots Trying To Escape Covid Lockdowns Again

Discussion in 'Protests & Riots' started by Yvonne Smith, Nov 29, 2022.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This has been in the news for several days now, with some horrible pictures of the riots. One apartment complex was burned down, and the people were locked inside and perished when it burned.
    Others have been clashing with police in the streets , protesting against the lockdowns and the deaths of the people killed in the apartment fire.

Apple has stopped allowing people to message with their iPhones, making it harder for everyone there to communicate or tell the outside world what is going on. This picture (really blurry-sorry) is a screenshot from a video of workers who have been locked inside of the Apple factory and not allowed to go home, and they are trying desperately to escape. In the actual video, you can hear what sounds like gunshots, so I think that the police are shooting the workers trying to escape from the iPhone factory.

I have been following this on Twitter news, but not seen it reported elsewhere, so wondering if the American news media is even talking about this at all ?

AF175100-9245-4960-86B9-A958CAB5DA7B.jpeg

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It appears that the workers are being locked into the Apple factory and not allowed to go home. Some have reported that sanitary conditions inside the factory are horrid, as workplaces have not been designed to be permanent residences. The Biden Administration has just sanctioned a sugar producer for unsatisfactory working conditions for their workers, but China gets a pass on everything they do, even to the point of slave labor. The lockdowns seem to have made the Covid virus more persistent in China where it originated. While most of the world has emerged from the pandemic, China is still in the throes of the disease. I don't know how many if any are dying there, as reliable numbers have never come out of China, but they are getting sick in numbers sufficient to keep the lockdowns in place. I suspect the military will be called out to suppress the demonstrators.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

This is not looking good for Tim Cook, CEO of Apple Corporation, because they are just ignoring everything and letting it happen to the workers. I think that I read that if the workers are not kept busy, then Apple is going to be short of delivering the new iPahones that have just came out this fall; and that will make the customers unhappy with Apple if they do not get their phones.

More and more people are talking about this as a reason to switch from Apple, and saying that if Elon Musk does make an “E-Phone” , they will drop Apple and switch.
    I am not expecting that to happen; but it should be telling Apple what their customers are thinking and saying about this. I have not heard if Musk is setting up Starlink for China to help out, but he has done this in other places when their internet/cell service was out, and usually paid for it himself.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Most iPhone users are not going to switch from Apple unless forced. There are a few Canadians who may move to the U.S. because of the new gun laws, however. Probably more than the number of Hollywood celebrities who left the country when Trump was elected.

Teresa Levitt and Krystal Shay like this.
  5. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

oh...let's boycott Chick-fil-A...hobby lobby...terrible ...Christian people not supporting gay rights....
    but ..human rights?..
    they don't care...

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Leave to Apple to have the Chinese government's back.

7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

They will quickly quell the protests .. even if they have to roll out the tanks.

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I understand that allowing the Chinese to watch the world Cup has made the situation even worse, as they see large crowds gathering without even masks while the Chinese people are being locked down and hauled off to camps. Also, the courage of the demonstrators has to be admired. Demonstrating in China is NOT like to ANTIFA "mostly-peaceful" protests. These people are risking their lives and the lives of their families in showing their displeasure with their government.

9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I think the masks may be the match thrown on the gas, but the gas consists of many other issues.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. John Brunner

I posted an article where the state of Massachusetts and Google installed the COVID-tracking spyware on every Android phone in the state without notification or permission.

I've seen a demonstration by a guy who powered his Android down, went from place to place (tourist spots in DC), and went to a lab where they monitored/decoded the transmitted signals when the phone was powered back up. The GPS coordinates of where he went and the Arrival/Departure time hacks had been captured and were transmitted to Google...and the phone was powered off!!! This was on a news program on TV.

Amazon's Alexa (Google) records everything that is said and saves it to remote servers "to serve you better"...even when it is "asleep." Neighbors have somehow accessed each other's recordings, hearing the other's conversations on their devices.

And we all know that Google has not been a beacon of civil rights in China.

It seems we have no ethical (or safe) choice.

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I saw that tracking demonstrated in Airplane Mode, but I didn't realize it would happen with the phone powered off. I guess we should try a bag that blocks all signals if we don't want to be tracked.

12. John Brunner

I'm trying to find independent verification of what I recall from that show, but there's so much hype out there that it's possible the guy turned off Tracking Services and he exaggerated. I'm finding articles titled "Phone Turned Off" when the reality is "Tracking Services Turned Off." I did find one sort-of confirmation regarding the iPhone: "For up to 24 hours after you turn off your iPhone, these components have power and tracking is still active. This is by design, so you can find your iPhone if it's lost or stolen and gets powered off. " "These discoveries show that most wireless chips continue to run even when your device is off. This is because your device, when turned off, still runs some components in low power mode."

The main concern in the article is that your phone is still exposed to hackers, not that Apple is nefarious.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

The thing I saw was on Fox and a reporter turned his phone to Airplane Mode and travelled around the DC area. I guess he assumed that would turn tracking off. He has some device that hacked into his own phone. As long as the Airplane mode was engaged, he got no tracking info, but as soon as he turned it off, he found his travels throughout the day logged on his phone. It appeared the phone had logged every WIFI signal it encountered even if it couldn't log on.

John Brunner likes this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I lost my phone in the hay. Maybe if I do that enough times, google will get confused.

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I have an iPhone, but Apple must think I'm horribly boring because I usually forget to bring it with me when I go somewhere. My iPhone is one of the larger ones and, when we went to Michigan last summer, I accidentally grabbed one of my smaller Kindles, thinking it was my iPhone, so it didn't even go on that trip, in which I also forgot the charging cord for my MacBook and a couple of other things. Maybe that's why my wife makes lists.