Cnn Plans To Start Charging For News On Its Website

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Vada Bloom, Sep 28, 2024 at 2:52 PM.

1. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

CNN is set to join the ranks of publications like The New Yorker and The Wall Street Journal by introducing a subscription paywall for some of its digital content starting next month. This move comes as the media giant seeks to diversify its revenue streams amid a decline in traditional cable TV viewership.

According to The New York Times, CNN will implement a “metered” paywall in early October, limiting frequent readers to a certain number of free articles before requiring a paid subscription for continued access. While the exact subscription price remains undisclosed, sources suggest it will initially be “an inexpensive offering to gauge customer demand.”

This shift follows CNN’s earlier experiment with a “registration wall,” prompting readers to provide their email address to access certain articles. The paywall initiative was hinted at in July during a company restructuring, with CNN Chairman Mark Thompson outlining plans to establish a digital subscription business with the goal of generating “more than a billion dollars in revenue.”

https://cordcuttersnews.com/cnn-will-soon-chage-you-to-read-some-of-its-news-stories-on-its-website/

This is the funniest thing I've read in a long time but it's not a joke. There's no way I will ever pay CNN a cent to read anything they publish.

Will you?

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

And may I say, "LOL."

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I understand wanting to get paid for the content they generate, but their ratings are so low that I cannot imagine it will bring in much money. Not from me certainly.

4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I will not pay any for news reports.. I just move on to another source of news :rolleyes:

Vada Bloom likes this.