Coffee

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Bill Boggs, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I am something of a coffee hound. As such in my old age and retirement I have been trying different grocery store coffees and reading coffee reviews and reading coffee blogs. This has been going on for several years. Some of these reviewers seem a little more interested in coffee makers or coffee grinders than in the coffee. That's alright as I understand different folk are interested in different aspects of the coffee experience so I take what I want from each review or blog and store those tidbits of information somewhere in the recesses of my mind so that hopefully each is subject to recall when needed.
    I have in the past bought coffee on the Internet to try a coffee bean when only ground coffee is sold in the local stores. Recently I bought some coffee beans from Community Coffee in Louisiana. I suppose I said all the above so that I might asked the question, have any of you tried or drank Community Coffee and if so what did you think of it?

2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs Community Coffee is a popular brand around here. Houston has some really fancy grocery stores like HEB. They sell Community Coffee beans and you can grind your beans to whatever grind size you desire. I like the dark roast. I also find it a bit cheaper than other name brand coffees. I use a Kuerig coffee maker that allows me to use reusable K-cups that I can fill with whatever coffee I like. I do like specialty coffees, but I like my cheaper regular brand on a daily basis.

3. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

I have tried a few of their ground coffees and found them very good.
    I like the company's approach and their Military Match program.
    We really liked Coffee and Chicory.

4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

My Grandma mixed coffee and chicory together to create her own blend. I remember this from before a started drinking coffee. I wondered as a kid, why she did this, thinking it could not have saved money, as my Mother remarked about how costly the chicory was.

Well, today expert thinking says coffee is good for us. So, as is usual with "medical proclamations and Me", I continue to drink no more, nor less, than before.......Frank

5. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm by no means rich but I've never been so poor that I had to grind my coffee beans,:rolleyes: I buy my coffee already ground, usually Folgers.

6. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Sheldon Scott , didn't you know a sign of affluence is being able to grind your own beans. It's like the blue jeans that everyone pays so much for that have worn holes and are all faded out. I remember throwing those way, now they cost four times what new ones cost. :p

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

I like coffee and buy Safeway's $5 Friday's 30 oz. coffee on sale when on sale if on sale. Now days it's $6.99 the cheapest at other supermarkets Folgers 32 oz.t coffee grinds. I like it and Maxwell House too. This year I bought Kona Coffee blends and mix now a tablespoon of it with my Folgers or Maxwell House and it lasts me a day and a half usually. My Mom rarely drinks coffee these days since she got her pace maker she rarely drinks coffee. Today Aug. 25, 2016, Dr. Oz had on his show new information about coffee too.

http://www.doctoroz.com/

Bill Boggs, Tim Burr and Joe Riley like this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I do that with nearly every pot. A pinch of chicory smooths out the taste of any kind of coffee. Usually, I find dark roast to be too strong but chicory mellows it. Too much chicory has the opposite effect.

9. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I have drank Community's chicory coffee. I also bought a bag of chicory to use with other coffees. I tend to like the medium roasts better. I liked some of the community coffees.

Ina I. Wonder and Joe Riley like this.
  10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

11. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

I wonder if chicory can be grown around here. To offset my sadness of leaving all my fruit trees and other plants when I move, I'm trying to think of new plantings for my new place. It looks like a pretty plant, and it would be fun to see if I could produces a drinkable product. Has anyone tried to grow chicory?

Alan Sidlo and Bobby Cole like this.
  12. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

From what I have read, seems you can grow it many places.
    It a cool weather plant, like lettuce.
    I might give it a try when I plant my Hops Rhizomes.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I started drinking coffee in the Navy (1968). A cup, with cream and sugar helped keep a sailor stay awake during a Mid-Watch (11:45PM to 3:45AM) and the 3:45AM to 7:45AM Watches. At sea, while outside, coffee and a cigarette was the menu to "stay awake" for those same Watch hours. At sea, it could get pretty cool-to-cold during those hours and while in port, San Diego got pretty cool in December during those hours.

Since those Navy years, I've been a coffee drinker, but not an "all day" type. When I was employed, I would sip at a cup (in a coffee holder) while driving to work and then a cup at work and that was it. Two in the AM for the day. At home, it's one cup in the morning and that's it. We go to a restaurant on the weekends for breakfast, I generally will have two. I love Folger Crystals and Waffle House coffee. But, it has to have flavored cream and nowadays I use a packet of Spenda.........no more sugar for this dude.

14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Chicory is very similar to dandelion, and would probably grow just about anywhere that a dandelion will grow. I actually have never seem anyplace where a dandelion doesn't grow; but probably in the dry desert areas , it might not grow.
    In any case, I can tell you this, @Ina I. Wonder , it is not a quick process to make a drink from chicory or dandelions.
    Many years ago, I decided to try making some from dandelion roots, since they are all over. We actually didn't have any dandelions on our property; so the kids and I went down to the local park, and the kids played while I found dandelions and dug them up .
    I did it carefully so I would not leave holes in the ground at the park.
    Then I washed all of the roots off while we were down there since we didn't have running water at home.
    That night, I built a fire and heated up the oven in the wood cook stove on a low heat, and slowly roasted the roots until they were a dark brown and crispy.
    Once they were roasted, I had to grind them, and I used the blender on pulse to do that. My afternoon's work of digging, washing, roasting, and grinding netted me about 1/3 cup of dandelion grounds, and I was not impressed with such little results.
    I soon decided that since it would barely make one pot of coffee, that it was way too much effort to try and use dandelion root as a coffee substitute; but I did mix it in with the coffee that we had, and it was fine that way.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  15. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Tim Burr

We grew hops while living in Missouri. Fastened a trellis on the side of a concrete-block storage shed. By the end of the first growing season they were up to the roof line! Next season, little "baby" sprouts came up in the grass surrounding the original planting. Flowers picked and dried, then stored in plastic jars, stank like the dickens when you opened them. Sort of a cross between skunky and old sneakers. But sure made good brew!
    I'll try to find pics. Frank

Yvonne Smith likes this.