Coffee

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Bill Boggs, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My son gave my husband some locally made coffee and some bottles of various Texas winery wines for Christmas. Here's the coffee; it's called "Indie Shot" and is from the Independence Coffee Company in Brenham TX (home of Blue Bell Creamery.) I think it's kind of nasty tasting but it wasn't my gift. :D

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

Lois Winters and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Youngest son sent us a box of assorted Black Rifle k-cup coffees and we have been trying them out.

IMG_0227.jpg

My husband and I are leaving our "review" of each brew on the box. (X= yuck) My reviews are the top marks in red; his are the bottom...

IMG_0229.jpg

So far it's unanimous about "AK" (espresso) being nasty. I was surprised at how weak it is being as it's espresso. Has a weird twang and off-taste. I really enjoy the "BB", Beyond Black; I will buy more of that one.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    Lois Winters and Joe Riley like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I wouldn't order the espresso but I thought it was okay. However, had it been as strong as espresso usually is, I would have probably hated it, which is why I don't order espresso. I've had Beyond Black a couple of times now, and it's pretty good. The only Black Rifle coffee I have tried so far that I couldn't finish was one called Five Alarm. I don't like strong coffee, but Five Alarm was so weak that it was almost indistinguishable from hot water. I tried it one more time with a finer grind, but I still couldn't taste it, so I dumped the rest of the bag.

Joe Riley and Beth Gallagher like this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

These are k-cups, so we don't get to choose the grind. I do use the smallest brewing size to try to maximize the brew strength. Both of us dumped the AK (espresso) down the drain and it takes a lot for us to throw coffee out. Thanks for the heads-up on Five Alarm; I can't abide weak coffee.

5. Ken Anderson

Oh, I've never tried their K-cups.

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I just had a cup of the "SS" (Silencer Smooth). I wouldn't buy this one again, either. It is smooth but again, a bit weak and has a strange twang to it.

Oddly, my son buys the Black Rifle beans for himself; I guess he though we'd like the k-cups better. They are fine but probably not as good as the freshly ground coffee.

Lois Winters and Faye Fox like this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Silencer Smooth is my favorite but I don't like my coffee too strong, and I don't generally care for K-cups.

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Has anyone tried the "Joe Knows Coffee?" Amazon sells "Tall, Dark and Handsome." :D:D

upload_2022-4-4_22-56-38.png

Bobby Cole and Faye Fox like this.
  9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

s-l300.jpg

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Any coffee news? We're stuck in a rut; haven't tried anything new in a while.

11. Ken Anderson

I have a couple of boxes of Black Rifle coffee that I haven't even opened yet. I'm getting behind in my coffee drinking, I'm afraid.

12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Isn’t there a rule that says a member, staff member or an administrator can get banned for neglecting one’s coffee cup?

13. Ken Anderson

I've considered it, because it makes sense to do that, but it hasn't been implemented yet.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  14. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I've been drinking Peet's medium-dark roast, medium grind lately. Excellent coffee. I've alternated on occasion with Community Around the World medium-dark roast and like it just as well. So many people rave about Tim Horton's, but I've tried different blends and don't care for it at all. I never even think of espresso. Had it once and that was enough for me. Olsen_Weygandt_Bldg_1_corner_-_Portland_Oregon.jpg Olsen_Weygandt_Bldg_1_corner_-_Portland_Oregon.jpg 51iRgZELNjL.jpg 51iRgZELNjL.jpg 812V7ipqm0L._SL1500_.jpg

15. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't care for strong coffee but then Folgers Classic isn't exactly weak. For a long time I was buying Maxwell House but I just don't care for it. My first stop in the mornings is the coffee maker and while it brews I make the cats their breakfast. The simple things in life are always the best. I have been having a problem with the cats climbing all over my legs and scratching me to death, two nights ago one jumped across my face and left a good mark on my nose. I took my sister's advice and luckily this morning shopping I found two spray bottles at the dollar store, the cats were shocked when I gave them a dose of cold spray, they were becoming braver with the syringe I was using to give them a spray. The expression on ones face was priceless heh ;0) I have let them explore the front and kitchen again and they like to lay in the window and sleep all day.

Faye Fox and Beth Gallagher like this.