Collections

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Lydia Williams, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

I love these sweet little things!
    I have a small collection of "Occupied Japan" pieces. I love the teapots especially. I also collect old books, especially health and beauty books from the 19th. century and back. Oh and old medicine bottles, most notably the patent medicines. They offer a fascinating insight into life during the early Victorian period. I try to limit my collectibles to a few categories, so my house is not cram packed. LOL

2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

When I was a kid I collected little soaps from all the motels we stayed at on our family summer trips, if they had the name of the motel on them. They did not survive the humidity in my attic here in Georgia. :(

Later I collected matches from all the restaurants and events I attended. This lasted until they stopped offering matches at such places. A few of them...

upload_2020-11-14_11-11-47.png

Von Jones and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Over the years i have collected coins and stamps. I do look them over sometimes but most of the time they are sitting in a corner in my cupboard. This is for keeps. However, I have now started decluttering and giving away items i have not used in a while. Decided as i get older i would like to live with more space and travel light!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

You may think I am nuts but I collect teacups and refrigerator magnets...

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I love teacups, Silvia. I always prefer a teacup and saucer to drink my coffee. Do you have any photos of your favorites?

6. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

I collected fossils, stamps, and shells until I was about ten years old. At that time, I realized that collecting didn't really matter to me, and the world class collections found in museums and the like offered far more interesting and rare specimens than what I could amass over my lifetime. I also became aware of the costs involved with some collections, and never wanted to spend much money just to possess this or that type of "thing."

My LTR is a clothing collector, something I never got into until I met her, fifteen years ago. I never realized there were people around who enjoyed buying, but never wearing, new articles of clothing. I went along with her ways, for a while, because it gave us things to do over the weekend. I soon pushed to have us get dressed up on our weekend forays, wearing what we collected, and liked seeing how long it took to get the first person to come up and compliment us, during any outing. It never took long, no lie.

There was too much tension involved with my lady, though, because she was a collector, not a wearer of clothes she collected, so our "Puttin' On the Ritz" ways soon ended. When I counted the shirts hanging in my closet, and found that number to be one hundred and twenty-six, I knew I was going to get rid of most of them, which I did.

My LTR keeps on collecting. We go to Goodwill, on occasion, but I think she buys similar pieces that replace what we've just given away, in a very short while.......

7. Silvia Benoit

Registered

I have these teacups...about 40...all hanging from the wall. Later I will upload a pic.

8. Silvia Benoit

Registered

20201128_095945_Film3.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2020
    Nancy Hart and Beth Gallagher like this.
  9. Silvia Benoit

Registered

So sorry; this is my first time uploading to this site. Please, somebody erase three of the four pics. :)

10. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

If you post still has edit you can delete pics

11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I deleted the extra ones, but as @Al Amoling mentioned, as long as you have the edit button, you can change your post yourself. I am a greeter here, and if you need something fixed after the edit button is gone, just message me, and I can probably take care of it.
    Welcome to the forum !

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Wow, beautiful collection, Silvia. I am a collector of dishes and dinnerware, but am finally down to "only" three sets. All of them include teacups and saucers.

13. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Thanks. Some I bought overseas, others in different states and about 10 were presents. All must be made in England. I started with few from my mother.

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

My mother-in-law has a full set (and then some) of Royal Albert Old Country Roses, and I own a set of Franciscan Desert Rose. I have not bought a piece since manufacturing moved to China, but I have a complete set and don't need any more. If I were still buying, I'd haunt second-hand stores for the pieces not made in China.

I have owned a few sets of Pfaltzgraff stoneware, which up until 2005 was "America's Potter," manufactured in Pennsylvania USA. After 2005 they moved manufacturing to China and I haven't bought any of that since. Currently my everyday dishes are made in the USA... Fiestaware.

15. Silvia Benoit

Registered

My compliments to you. I don't buy items made in China; I started doing so way before the Covid 19 shame.

Beth Gallagher likes this.