Convenience Foods

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Beth Gallagher, Mar 20, 2022.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Let's talk about favorite convenience foods. I know that most people claim that they don't buy canned or "processed" food, but from the looks of grocery stores, somebody surely is. :D I keep a variety of canned beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, dry pastas, soups, cereals, etc. on hand because I appreciate the convenience.

On another forum, there was a lengthy discussion about jarred pasta sauces which spurred me to try a couple of new ones. For years I have bought Newman's Own Sockarooni Pasta Sauce because it tastes pretty good and we like it. The discussion on the other board heavily favored a brand called Raos, which is made in Italy. About a month ago I sprung for a jar of the Raos Vodka Sauce, even though it cost twice what I pay for the Newman's Own.

Much to my surprise, the Raos actually is a good sauce. I doctored it by sauteeing some Italian sausage to go in; we like meat sauce. Not sure if it's twice as good as Newman's Own, but it is a good sauce and I will buy other "flavors" to try.

What convenience foods do you like and keep on hand?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
    Marie Mallery and Ken Anderson like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Like sardines and kipper snacks, I go on a cereal binge once or twice a year, eating quite a lot of it for a week or so. Then, I don't want any for several months. My biggest draw, when it comes to convenience foods, is Mac and Cheese - the stuff with soft cheese in a pouch, not the powdery stuff. I love the taste of it and it's both quick and easy to make, so I have that fairly often when Michelle is away during the day. Then, there are boxed pizzas, although I don't buy those as often as I do Mac and Cheese, mostly because I can have better pizza delivered. Some of the boxed pizzas are pretty good, though.

I like soups, but I usually make that from scratch since I enjoy mixing different things into them. I sometimes buy some of the better canned or jarred soups, however.

We don't make our own spaghetti sauces, although we might add stuff to it.

I spent the first couple of years after high school on canned and boxed foods. Adopting a son did a lot for my own culinary habits, however. I don't like making time for cooking, but I usually enjoy it once I start.

Marie Mallery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Having raised 5 kids, I'm familiar with boxed mac n' cheese. :D Quick, easy, cheap... and they always liked it, especially if we also had Gorton's fish sticks to go alongside. Hmmm, I haven't bought any fish sticks in a long time, but I did buy some Velveeta Shells and Cheese during the Great Covid Hoard of '20.

As for canned soups, we rarely eat them except for occasional chicken noodle when we have a cold. I buy several types of "cream of..." for recipes and whatnot.

Ken Anderson and Marie Mallery like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We just started buying fish sticks every now and then about a year ago. It came up in conversation, as fish sticks were a Friday staple at both of the schools we attended. When I was in elementary school, I guess the fish sticks were more expensive since they tried to reserve them for the Catholics. Really, we'd have to tell them we were Catholic in order to get fish sticks, so I'd convert to Catholicism once a week. Neither of us had had fish sticks since elementary school, so we bought some, and still do.

I don't think any of the "cream of" soups were intended to be eaten as soup. They all seem to be used more as mixes than as soups. Chicken noodle is good when you're sick (I don't know if it actually helps but it's good) and tomato soup (with grilled cheese sandwiches) is good on really cold nights. I'll sometimes buy canned chili but I'll add a whole bunch of stuff to it.

Ed Wilson likes this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I bought some of these last week by mistake. Didn't see the word "Parmesan." (I only read the fine print.)

Dripping in grease (so good ;) ). But you couldn't taste the fish. Might as well dip potatoes in the same batter. Much cheaper.

upload_2022-3-21_10-7-37.png

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  6. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

It’s almost impossible to avoid convenience foods unless you like to cook and know what you are doing (not me). I focus on nourishment keeping in mind fruits and vegetables, protein etc. so that nutritional requirements are met as well as I can, but that doesn’t keep me from food for just enjoyment, but not in excess. If I let myself I could really pack it away.

Marie Mallery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I remembered a convenience food that I used to really like; the frozen Stouffer's Creamed Chipped Beef served on toast. I haven't bought any in years but I ordered a package in my last grocery order so we'll see how it tastes now.

My mother used to make creamed chipped beef from that salty thin-sliced beef in the little jars. Then we'd use the empty jars for juice glasses.

I believe military personnel refer to this delicacy as "SOS." :D

Ed Wilson likes this.
  8. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

For total convenience, I occasionally indulge in a "frozen dinner". I really like the Amy's brand, especially the Indian and Mexican ones. They're not cheap but they're far superior to the others. They seem to be a tad healthier, too.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

The first part of your post was what I like, second was hubbys. I like sardines Kippers even more and most fish if I can get it fresh.Hubby likes Mac&cheese, all kinds of meat and pizza.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

We try to stay away from the boxed or canned food other than fish,but we do like to keep soup like you for colds or times like now tooth extractions.
    We like cole slaw and burritos or tuna and crackers for quick snacks too.

11. Marie Mallery

Registered

This is true, its hard to find good snacks or quick foods now too.

12. Marie Mallery

Registered

We like frozen pot pies for a treat it has to be Maries, but so high priced we don't buy them alot.Plus I'm sure they aren't the heathiest foods around.

Beth Gallagher likes this.