Cornish Mining History Photos

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by Kate Ellery, Dec 30, 2022.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

The 100 year old remains of a pumping station that supplied the copper mines with water

This area was dry / baron without any fresh water what so ever when 100’s family’s emigrated here from Cornwall to “ slave” in the copper mines as children as young as 9 years old ( boys) were required to work on-the mine surface after school and if they skipped school they didn’t get paid their 6 pence a week

09402576-DEC4-46DE-BAAE-74783C470C4C.jpeg

2. Kate Ellery

Registered

3. Kate Ellery

Registered

4. Kate Ellery

Registered

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My father was born around that time, so there must be lots of folks there who trace their families back to those events (grandparents, great grandparents.)

Lois Winters and Kate Ellery like this.
  6. Kate Ellery

Registered

We have an excellent family history centre here ,in fact I never knew my grandmother had any siblings but she was one of 8 so the history centre told me ( GM was born here) and the history centre gave me all the info I know about
    family right back to my GG grandparents ……somewhere along the line we even had a minister of religion in the family.
    I believe I’ve already mentioned that my GG grandparents lie only meters away from hubbies GG grandparents .
    My GG G lie right in the edge by the very large area of unknown children who died from….

(Copied from net )
    Epidemics of typhoid, cholera and diphtheria raced through South Australia’s Yorke Peninsula copper mining town 1873, with 327 burials in the cemetery – and equal or more than that of unmarked children's graves beyond the cemetery's main gates.

This was caused by the fact the area didn’t have any fresh water ….and it wasn’t as easy as putting a rainwater tank in the back yard …..naturally people had long drop toilets , and many dug pits to catch fresh water for drinking……….
    however the toilets contaminated the drinking water causing many deaths as a result.

Now days we have water piped from the Murray river 230 Km away at a town called Morgan
    That’s the closest to us fresh water that I know of .

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  7. Kate Ellery

Registered

Yep you might be a long lost relative …who knows ..hope ya are rich 0EDDBF86-B718-4EDB-A228-7A3E91F3A7F8.gif
    @John Brunner

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Although I have never been to Cornwall or South Australia, I grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, another place where people from Cornwall emigrated to work in copper mines. To this day, Upper Peninsula pasties (derived from Cornish pasties) are a signature staple in restaurants throughout the UP. My folks came from Sweden, however.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
    Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Well, my mother was British. Any ancestor probably left me the deed to a limestone mine. ;)

10. Kate Ellery

Registered

Yes our area is very famous for Cornish pasties ….. I believe some miners wife’s made a savoury Pasty and a sweet Pasty all in one for men who worked underground.
    We have about a dozen different towns around here and each and every town has a Cornish pasty shop
    Kadina the main “ hub” of the area with a population of about 7.000 has a dozen Pasty / cafes / shops
    where I live the town has 7 shops / cafes who’s main trade is pasties , I’d hate to think how flat out they are right now with the Christmas / new year tourist season in full swing.
    @Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson and John Brunner like this.
  11. Kate Ellery

Registered

Oh darn it …. 5210E2B5-0FBA-4E4D-B29D-92B5F07A60FD.gif I took another photo of pudding rock this morning, I have a bit of trouble posting the photos taken with my I phone cause they want to post upside down even tho I adjust them ….
    Any hints ..maybe I need a different app to turn them ? I use a iPad

thanks I advance @John Brunner or even maybe @Ken Anderson could advise me

Lois Winters and John Brunner like this.
  12. Kate Ellery

Registered

Pudding rock this areas is about 3 Km further up the beach to the one I posted yesterday

This is the same area if the old pumping station

13. Kate Ellery

Registered

Opps had trouble with photo
    Pudding rock
    D9EEC9BB-BB2B-4AFB-B6C0-D0D7D2BB5428.jpeg

Lois Winters likes this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I haven't seen too many upside-down ones but the forum has a gremlin that inserts them sideways sometimes. When I come across them, I fix them. It's just a matter of turning them right-side-up again and re-uploading them. Usually, this happens when photos are larger than 800 pixel-width. If I come across it, I'll fix it or you can send me a private conversation (IM) and I'll take care of it.

15. Kate Ellery

Registered

Thanks @Ken Anderson I’ll try posting some now I took yesterday that I’ve had trouble with